5.0 out of 5 stars wise (guy) purchase
Published on 12 Oct. 2002 by Epsilon

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmick
Just a gimmick Henry hill only put his name to this book. I doubt if he cooks this stuff but hey he was a gangster and became a tout to save his neck. Why wouldn't he cash in.
Published 14 months ago by Stuart Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars wise (guy) purchase, 12 Oct. 2002
Epsilon (Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wiseguy Cookbook: My Favorite Recipes from My Life as a Goodfella to Cooking on the Run (Paperback)
If, when you watch goodfellas you start to feel hungry, if your mind wanders slightly from the plot as you wonder what exactly is in that sauce that takes all afternoon to cook and that you have to keep stirring, and if you are fascinated by the idea of using a razor blade to slice garlic so thin that it liquifies in the pan - then this is the book for you. Indulge your inner gangster as you cook one of the many Italian American dishes and wonder what life would have been like if, like Henry you had been a wise guy. A fantastic book - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a cooking wiseguy, 30 Mar. 2007
C. Poole (London England) - See all my reviews
I bought a copy via Amazon. The recipies that I have made so far have been fab. As the other reviewers have said they can take some time but when your on the run you have all the time in the world. The other good thing is that Henry tells a story at the start of each chapter, things like how he learned to make sausage and pepper heros and how to substitute ingredients when in prison. So why not whip up some fugazy cutlets and clams casino followed by Michael's favorite ziti with meat sauce or lobster fra diavolo then sit back, play the movie and be a wiseguy.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Being Able to Cook Means you Can Take Care of Yourself", 3 Oct. 2011
If you love Goodfellas, then you'll love this book. And even if you don't love Goodfellas, you'll probably still love this book.

I admit that I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I am too busy at the moment enjoying the story of Henry's love of food, right from how he used to help his mother in the kitchen, to slicing garlic with a razor blade in prison (the way his mother used to do it), to cooking on the run.

Henry Hill's passion for food just oozes off the page and it's great to have a recipe book that combines a good culinary story with some really great sounding recipes.

I was going to knock off a star for not having pictures, but now Im not going to because it is a really great book.

Overall a really good Authentic Italian American cookbook.

Think I'll make myself some Sunday Gravy and put on the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking up a storm., 1 Feb. 2011
This booked merged both of my loves.

The book is really well put togther, both the cooking aspect intertwined with Henry's memories and stories about the 'old days'.

If you love reading books about the Mafia, why not settle with this good book, having cooked yourself some spectaular authentic Italian/Sicilain food.

the book contains so many classic hearty receipes that are straight out 'mammas kitchen' - no fancy smancy fine dining stuff here! Also the book loaded with hints and tips to perfecting to most common receipes, even tips on shaving garlic with a razor blade.

Along with the price, it's an offer you can't refuse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall this is a very nice book, with authentic-tasting recipes (tried the gnocci, 16 Mar. 2015
Overall this is a very nice book, with authentic-tasting recipes (tried the gnocci, tomato sauce, caponata, pizza base and meatballs so far). This is not a 30-minute cookbook, it is aimed at enjoying the time it takes to prepare and eat the food. There is passion coming through, as well as humour and useful hints - in particular the substitutions recommended in order to make a dish with harder to find ingredients are valuable for any cook, and show Henry Hill's deep understanding of cooking.
The additional stories are very interesting to read, even while keeping in the back of my mind that some of the situations and people mentioned are lightyears away from my life, and wouldn't want them to get any closer.
The only reason I didn't rate it with 5 stars is because indexing could be done slightly better by the editor so help the reader look for recipes by type (meat, vegetables, deserts), it has no bearing on the writing, presentation or content of this book.
A great book for Italian cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real bloody good cookbook, 7 Oct. 2013
Amazing cookbook, a real Gem to have in your Kitchen at home, You can no longer sit back and watch a mobster movie and say I wish I could cook and eat what those guys are all having, This book makes it all just one big peace of classy Italian bad guy cake. Mama Mia I love it to death.

Paul W

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR ITALIAN ADDICTS, 28 April 2015
Very good cook book as well as little background history of henry hill,this is old fashion Italian recipes,i have already tried a few,but a lot of ingredient's you don't get here in the uk,his tomato sauce is good,except he doesn't add onions I do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmick, 25 Mar. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changer!, 2 Feb. 2012
Brilliant book! It changed my life.

Now cooking Italian only each and every day (with some American & Irish touches). Makes for good reading too.

CJ Cocos Ababei

5.0 out of 5 stars the life of Mr Hill is portrayed in another book ..., 29 Nov. 2014
the life of Mr Hill is portrayed in another book.I do not seek to condone his lifestyle,however I must admit that reading his life story is very interesting.