Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 1998
This is the easiest book to read about managing one's personal financial affairs, and the best book I can recommend. After two degrees, I still haven't read any book or magazine that has had more impact on my personal financial situation. If one truly lives by the principles listed, they will have a successful financial future. I've given away many of these books for weddings, graduations, and personal gifts - It is worth more than any other financial gift one can give. It teaches people to be self reliant, even if their present situation seems financially hopeless. There is a solution.
on 3 February 1999
I found this book fascinating in that the successful financial principles of 6000 years ago still apply today. With all the resources and technology my company and industry employs today it really struck me that it still starts with one making a fundamental decision to do the things that will result in reducing debt, protecting ones assets and income, and increasing same assets by investing responsibly and systematically. It's also fascinating to see that the entrepreneur made up as much of the wealthy one percent as they do today! This book is part of my clients and personal financial analyst trainees must read list! Greg Bednarz, Personal Finacial Analyst, Primerica Financial Services
on 1 January 2005
This book offers you some simple - yet powerful - and proven techniques to manage your finances.
If your dream is to become financially free - this book is for you! While the theses in this book can be hard to apply to your own situation - the rewards will be worth your endurance.
Built around stories from the ancient Babylonian civilization this book offers you advice on managing your finances and become financially free.
In this particular version an "old english" style of writing is used - but I believe a version in contemporary english has been released.
Well worth a read!
on 26 August 2007
This is altogether an excellent book on long-term wealth creation. If you would like a way of operating your finances so that you can build up a lump sum for the future, whilst enjoying your life, then this old classic holds the key. I have just given my copy to an old friend who is up to his neck in debt. Amongst his many justifications for his current predicament are 'I don't earn enough to save/invest' and 'my family uses all my disposable income'. As a friend I hope he reads and applies the timeless principles contained within this book and, as a result, his money worries should become a thing of the past.

With bankruptcy levels within the UK at an all time high 'The Richest Man in Babylon' has never been so necessary. Read this book, but more importantly, use it!
on 1 August 1998
I am continually amazed at how a book so small can contain so much content and be so powerful. This book should be mandatory reading beginning at the grade school level through college and should be given as a gift right along with a diploma.
I took the advice of acde1034@yahoo.com who recommended 'The Millionaire next Door" and "More Weath without Risk" and bought and have read both. Both of these books are in the same status as "The Richest Man in Bablyon" and should also be required reading by anyone who is serious about their financial future. I am now giving "Richest Man in Bablyon" as a accessory gift to a cash gift at weddings and graduations.
on 15 February 2005
This book educates the reader about the way to improve one's personal finances. It uses a parable format to explain how two friends learnt how to improve their poor financial situation. They sought the advice of a friend whose wealth appeared to be limitless. Amongst the parables are references to modern day examples. It was the letter sent by the English University Professor that I found most inspiring.
The writing style is old English. This does make it hard to follow at first. It will take a chapter or two to 'get to grips' with the style. From there on it is easy and will soon become easy to read. It is not a long book so will start slow and finish fast.
I can highly recommend anyone to read this book. The advice offered is simple. If followed it will inevitably lead the reader to an improved financial future. I felt empowered and richer as soon as I read the final words. I will not be offering this book for resale as I continually refer to the sound advice that has lasted thousands of years.
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 1998
I first read "Richest Man in Bablyon bac in 1975. At first I was taken back by it's compact size and story book style. This book should be read by everyone from grade school to the college level students, employees, executives and the self employed. In todays's society, where people spend most if not all of what they make, this book is mre valuable than ever. Other books I would recommend are; "The Millionaire next Door" by Dr. Stanley et all, "More Wealth without Risk" and "Financial Self-Defense" by Charles Givens. Great book. A must read for anyone seeking financial independence,
on 27 April 2006
It often seems that the publishers are rather fond of sticking 'million best seller' on the front of their books, as if 'thousands' have now miraculously become 'millions' and every book is selling by the crate-load. Sometimes I read book with that claim and there ponder did XXmillion people REALLY read this literary effort? I guess there must be a lot of bored people at airports with a poor judgement of cover-copy as I!

So, what of TRMIB, is that worthy of the 'more than two million sold' stuck on the front of my book? the answer is YES! Yes indeed it is!

I discovered TRMIB by accident and decided to give it a look over, neither in debt having any problems in the financial department per se. I was still spurred on by the other Amazon reviews into giving it a glance over; and how glad I am. Though I say "having no financial problems per se." if the truth be told, I guess we could use a kick in the wallet and a 6 A.M. roll-call in that department. If you are in need of that then look no further. What this book offers you is a fool-proof formula to financial success, based not upon get-rich-quick-pull-rabbit-from-hat school of economics and good housekeeping. No, what Clanson has done is to develop pre-war spendthriftness into a simple yet effective Art. he has taken the basic principles of financial success and laid out clear rules towards that goal. What he has NOT done it to kid you that if you read this book you'll be an instant millionaire, or any such fictitious claims.

Presented in the format of a series of fictitious conversations and tales Clanson time and time again relays the basic truths to financial security and financial success, based not upon external forces; rather based upon your own abilities to keep what you EARN (you have to work for your success) in your wallet, and not in someone else's. In the case you do find yourself in financial jam and have the desire to get yourself out Clanson offers a formula for that too.

What I thought was impressive about this text was the simplicity of the ideas, the logical and rational way they were laid out and presented and the sheer accuracy of his approach. Maybe in this age Clanson's views will find less receptive ears, but anyone who can walk the path he guides us too can shortly achieve financial independence and attain victory over their leaky wallet. A great book.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2007
To all of you out there who dread the drop of the bills on your doormat when you go home, read this and your life will be transformed. We live in a buy now and pay later society and this particular little habit is catching up on us all. This little book, though written in old English, is fun and easy to read. It's principles can be hard to apply but worth every bit of effort involved. This is your key to financial abundance. In the Secret all the Masters told of setting up a debt repayment plan and then getting on with life and watch the miracles start to happen. This little book tells you about finances and how to tackle them. Put this advice into practice and then watch your own miracles start to happen. I know, I am advising spending money on a book but sometimes you really do have to spend in order to save. This book really makes sense.
on 21 October 2003
The Richest Man in Babylon is a series of stories set in the ancient city of Babylon, where people of extreme wealth and extreme poverty existed side by side. The reader is a "fly on the wall" as those who seek wealth ask the advice of those who have learned how to generate it.
George S. Clason has taken several simple money management principles and wrapped them in colorful stories of an ancient culture, which reminds us that financial struggles and the principles of how to escape them are timeless. This book has travelled the years well because the dialogue is already that of another time. The author has cleverly devised a way to show how these principles also apply today.
This book will give you a solid foundation for how to handle your money and get it working for you.
Larry Hehn, Author of Get the Prize: Nine Keys for a Life of Victory