5.0 out of 5 stars I have never cried before when I read a book....
Published on 2 Sep 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Friends and Lovers was a good book but...........
Published on 4 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never cried before when I read a book...., 2 Sep 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
I cannot wait to read more of Eric Jerome Dickey's work. This book really moved me in many ways. It was funny yet serious. The characters were so real to me, they were like friends of mine. I laughed and I cried. I also recommend reading Milk In My Coffee. I have noticed on the train that men as well as women have been reading these books. Very interesting! I wrote the author and asked him to please keep writing. Mr. Dickey is so in tune with what women as well as men feel and I am sure that is why he writes so well. Enjoy....I did and will continue to do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, 31 July 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was very good. I would love to see this on screen. It makes you cry, laugh and wonder all at once. This is a very good book and I enjoyed reading it. I've read this book, "Friends and Lovers" and "Milk in My Coffee" and the next book that I want to read is "CHEATERS". I can't wait to get my hands on it. Dickey is a very good writer who tells the story from all views (women and men) and after you finish you will not believe that a MAN wrote this book from mainly a woman's point of veiw. He is just multi talented and should get a Grammy or something. He's just outstanding. Words can't express how good of an writer Eric is. If he can write this good I would like to see his Stand-Up comedy or go back to middle school and watch him teach. Buy it and read it for your self. Believe me when I say it that it is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book! I never wanted it end!, 23 Mar 1999
Dear Mr. Dickey,
I just finished your book "Friends and Lovers" and I must say that it was absolutely fabulous! I could hardly put it down! I read it during my morning, lunch, and afternoon breaks--even when I had important things that I should have been taking care of :-)--I just loved it! I bonded with your characters almost immediately, and now that I'm finished with the book, I actually miss them. The first chapter with Lisa (who reminded me of Regina Greer on The Steve Harvey Show) sort of through me a bit, and to be honest with you, is the reason that I let the book sit on my bookshelf for a little over six months before finally picking it up and reading it. But let me tell you, once I got past that chapter, it was on, I never wanted it to end. It was great!
I have to admit, I first came across you and your first novel, "Sister Sister" by accident. I was shopping in Wal-Mart one day last year and was browsing through book section and came across this really nice African American animated looking cover, with a great synopsis on the back. It wasn't too expensive for an author that I'd never heard of before, so I thought, "Well, if it isn't good, at least I didn't come off of too much change for it." Nevertheless, as you know though, it was all that. I bonded with Valerie, Inda, and Chiquita just as quickly as I did with Tyrel, Shelby, Debra, and Leonard of F&L.
In F&L, I was really taken in by the true love shared between both couples. I guess that's why I had such a big problem with Shelby getting together with Richard. I sort of, in a way, expected that from Tyrel, but not Shelby. From the first scene with Richard on the plane, and the second of him in the club, regardless of the fine description that you gave the brother, he still sounded like a brother that stank, 360 degrees around. (That may have had something to do with the fact that I didn't want to see Shelby with anyone other than Tyrel though.) When Richard weaseled his way into going to the LA with Shelby, I could have reached right through the pages of my book and snatched his character completely out of the book. He was so weak, using his stank-attitude mama as a shield, what a punk! The final straw was when he pulled that stunt toward the end of the book. I was surprised, but convinced. as Shelby often said, he was definitely not the one, the two, the three, the four, or the five. (I guess you did your job well since I felt such animosity towards him :-)
As you can tell, I really enjoyed both of your books, and look forward to reading "Milk In My Coffee" and also "Cheaters" in June. Are there any plans of making a movie (TV or big screen) based on "Friends and Lovers" (or any of your other books)? That would really be great but ONLY if the actors that portray your characters are chosen very carefully. A bad actor/actress can really mess up a good role. I see Taye Diggs as Tyrel (and not because of his "Stella" role, I liked him when he was on Guiding Light best), maybe Regina King as Shelby, an unknown actress that looks like a cross between Vanessa L. Williams and Lisa Bonet as Debra, and one of those not so raunchy comics from Comedy Central to play Leonard. Keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving story line and believable characters, 23 Aug 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the most moving books I have read in a long time. The characters are real and they become part of you. E.J.D. has the ability to make you laugh out loud at the antics of his characters in one chapter and then he can reduce you to tears in the next chapter. His insight on women is amazing he expresses many of the things that women feel and he tends to know our secrets and what we like to discuss behind closed doors. He gives equal time to the male characters in his books and a woman can learn a lot about the inner workings of a man's mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is excellent. I enjoyed it., 11 Aug 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
Friends and Lovers is a book about two relationships. One with sex being the main motto and one without. It shows the breakdown and build up of each of the friend/relationships without making the characters protaganist or antagonist, but a little bit of both which helped the characters come across as real life individuals that I were able to judge, find compassion for, and later identify with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Friends and Lovers was a good book but..........., 4 Jun 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first time reading a book by Eric Dickey, and I had heard so much about it. I think that my expectations were set to high for this book. The book was alright, but I'm definitely glad I didn't buy it. I just wasn't into the book like I thought I would be. The characters weren't developed enough for me, and it seemed like he didn't complete one scene before jumping to the next. I didn't like the way the book hinted that something might happen, then when it did, it left no explanation of how or why it happened. For instance, when one of the characters just jumped up and got married. The story went on leaving me confused and upset. This was definitely not one of my favorite books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book even though I liked "Coffee" better, 5 May 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Hardcover)
I recently read EJD's book "MILK IN MY COFEE" and was so impressed with it that I decided to go back and read each of his other novels. Friends and Lovers was also a great story. I felt that it teaches us that our lives are so precious and we should recognize and embrace love because we may not be here tomorrow. I have been Tyrel, in love with someone, and too stubborn to forgive and live. Its hard to forgive when youre stubborn but if there's real love there, you shouldnt let it leave. This story teaches us to value our short lives, and our friends and lovers. But as much as I loved this book I loved MILK IN MY COFFEE better. Keep up the good work Eric!

5.0 out of 5 stars The scale needs to go higher than 10 for this one!, 18 May 1998
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Hardcover)
Dickey's initial book - Sister, Sister was a 10. With Friends and Lovers, Mr. Dickey has surpassed the rating of 10. This book shows both sides of the relationship - male and female. Once again, the book was written in easy to read dialogue, but the best treat was the superior quality in which each character was written. The reader has a chance to get an intimate look at the lives of Shelby and Tyrel, and Leonard and Deborah. The surprise twist in the middle of the novel isn't bad either. This was definitely worth the price of the hardcover.

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny, romantic African-American love story!, 7 Sep 1998
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Hardcover)
Once again, Eric Jerome Dickey has restored my faith in the unity of friendships and relationships. He creatively projects positive, realistic images in Tyree, Debra, Shelby and Leonard that are hardly ever seen or heard of in the media. Dickey discusses strong friendships and carefully unfolds how the duos inevitably become lovers.
After a while, you may think you're watching a soap opera. Then you realize these are not characters or actors. They are real people - perhaps your friends, relatives, neighbors and co-workers who have shared intimate secrets with you. The novel is told from each persons heart with such a style that forces you to take breaks just to digest their innermost feelings. Friends and Lovers grips at your heart strings and delicately ties them in a lovely bow.
This heart-warming love story is also sensuous, without the vulgarity portrayed in some novels and movies designed to hold the audience. Mr. Dickey gently holds the reader's attention and emotions as he meticulously imparts love, laughter, anger and other emotions that naturally arise in a relationship. THE PASSION OF CHAPTER 12 IS SO SWEET AND HOT; IT WILL MAKE YOU WANNA HOLLER (FOR REAL)! Just get a fan and a tall glass of ice water or tea - whichever will help restore your blood pressure to a normal rate!
This is definitely a must read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 12 May 1999
This review is from: Friends and Lovers (Mass Market Paperback)
Friends and Lovers starts off good but then it reaches a point where you say "Who the hell cares?" I hate when the plot gets mangled up by sub-plots that no one cares about. Dickey has a tendency to tack on "I ain't got no daddy" or "My daddy is no good" subplots that always makes the story go in a dull and unnecessary direction. I usually skip those few chapters and try to find the more exciting parts. Other than the boring sub-plots, F&L is an okay read.

Friends and Lovers
Friends and Lovers by Eric Jerome Dickey (Mass Market Paperback - 17 Feb 1999)