Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 October 2007
There is a vast amount of mystery series in the market, and some of them have something special that makes them stand out above the rest. Chesbro's character Mongo, a dwarf private investigator, who is also a university professor and a black belt in karate, provides this series with enough charm to place it in the group of reads worth your time.

Besides the colorful Mongo, this series incorporates elements from the fantasy genre, placing these works in a very special niche. In the case of this novel, Mongo is investigating the case of a man that is supposed to be dead but may still be alive. As the case progresses, the private eye unveils astounding secrets that lead to complicated and dangerous situations. The pace of the story builds nicely until we reach an ending with a myriad of surprises.

Since I like reading fantasy and mysteries, this series is a good fit for me. The main character also makes a big difference, and I particularly enjoyed the first person narration, since it allows us to understand this wonderful character better. In a time when most heroes are tough as nails and bounce back from defeat almost immediately, it is uplifting to find a character that is affected by important events as a typical human would. I think I am hooked, and hope I enjoy the next books in this series as much as I did this one.