5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
I got this book out of the library for my boyfriend and ended up being stuck on the bus in traffic with it in my bag so decided to give it a go myself - wow! Almost from the first page I was completely drawn into the story and barely spoke to anyone for the next couple of days until I finished it.

I've never been a big King fan having only previously read...
Published on 20 May 2009 by L. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange narrative. Good read Would not recommend.
A bit confusing at times. The dip between the narrators thoughts in-between conversations proves to be effective at times but generally I feel it was slightly messy. Imaginative story and the narrators writing was embedded nicely and foretold the actual story well.
Published 7 months ago by Katijah

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 April 2015
This review is from: Misery (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book and better than the film

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Brilliant book! Impossible to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars misery SK, 7 Mar. 2008
whippet (North England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Another great installment by king I found the dark half quite slow at first but this grips from the 1st page a chilling story by king.A good book for a first time king reader and i reccomend a lot

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Misery (Audio CD)
Scary and creepily (and expertly) read

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
I read this (almost reluctantly) for a book club I'm in. I don't like Stephen King - I don't really like his brand of horror and thought that reading it would be a waste of precious life. HOWEVER, I was pleasantly surprised by this one - I learned afterwards that the Guardian reviewed it as being the best thriller he has ever written (i.e. not horror) and was based on his own experiences as an author whose fans reacted badly to one of his works and his own drug and drink addictions. As a result of this, it really is a good book to read - very tense and an excellent thriller. I've got to say that King's ambitions for his author in the book (Paul) are somewhat ambiguous. Obviously there is the comparison between Paul's penning of dire hack romances and King's own hack horror books which, nevertheless, make both authors a lot of money. However, are Paul's literary ambitions serious or is he never going to live up to what he clearly sees as his own genius? My thought that was that he would always be a bit of a second-rate writer, and that the world had been done a favour when the woman in the book makes him burn his so-called masterpiece, but one can't guess what King's intentions were. He obviously rates himself as a literary author, which is something I can't really see myself. So in short, this book pleasantly surprised me but I couldn't quite get over my own snobbery about King's work... Make of that what you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh! Paul !!!!!, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
excellent, better than the film,

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
In perfect condition thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars No surprises, 1 Oct. 2011
Bruno Simoes "Brusim" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misery (Hardcover)
The book was pretty well kept (considering it's second hand) and the story for SK fans is a must, so overall very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars one of Kings very best standalones!, 12 July 2008
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Really top notch novel from Stephen King, Misery is actually scarey in the way most horror books never quite achieve. that said its not a primal thing or fear, its a more refined modern fear i think.
the poor lead character is controlled and dependent on a mad woman, who could and does do whatever she likes to him including hurting him to make him write.
the violence in it is graphic and horrific, but mostly from an outrage perspective, how could they etc. you really feel for the guy.
it was gripping and original (imo) and had many interesting side issues going through it as well, often on the relationships writers have to their fans, duties to writing and the actual practices of writing a novel - all of which is immensely interesting if you've ever wondered how its done.
overall, a great gripping read that has genuine feeling and outrage, violence and horror - and it isnt just on the blurb!
9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, 4 Aug. 2010
Phoebe (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
This is one of Stephen Kings best pieces of work by far. It gives you a sense of fear but also keeps you wanting to keep reading through the night (mostly because you are too scared to go to sleep!) This was my first Stephen King novel and if you are thinking of starting to read his work I recomend for you to read this one first. If you are trying too decide to let your child read it or not because you had read it when you were younger and you think it is ok to let them read it, IT IS NOT. As I am a teenager and my father let me read it I know. It is a very scary book which kept me awake most nights but it also constently swears. I would say it is for older teens and adults. I am not saying to not let your child read it but to wait until you know they wont be terrified or that it is suitable for them.

Misery
Misery by Stephen King (Paperback - 1 Nov. 1988)
Used & New from: £0.01