Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 March 2015
excellent book, greater insight than the film, recommend reading
on 30 September 2014
love it, two weeks straight I had to sleep with the lights on.
on 6 April 2013
Thought I give this a read as the sequel is coming out later this year. I had seen the film many years ago, but know that books often differ from the film.
If you haven't read this, I recommend you give it a go.
It is different from the film in so many ways. You get a depth if character from the book that you don't see in the film.
I can't say anymore without giving away spoilers, but read it. It'll be worth it. It'll leave you disturbed and relieved by turns as only Steven King books can.
on 1 September 2014
Still one of Stephen King's greatest works. A thrilling read.
on 22 September 2003
This has to be one of the best Stephen King books that I have read. I think it is true when they say 'read a book before you see the film' as the book goes into so much more detail than the film - (which didn't seem to mention Jack's abusive father, or actually go into depth about the theme of the film - the fact that Danny has 'the shining') If you are a devout Stephen King reader, buy this book!
on 2 January 2016
The film is one of my favourite movies.The book, is SO much better!
on 5 May 2015
Still reading this book but its one of his best, loving every page.
on 5 December 2011
I've never read Stephen King before, so I'm guessing this is impartial really....
I bought this because it seemed to be his best rated work, and apparently very scary......
I have to admit I found it to be neither...
I personally didn't find one section of this book scary at all, and after reading the Amityville horror by J Anson ( which was very scary), I have to admit I was left very disappointed, so much that I had to make myself finish the book.
I have to admit however that the last quarter of the book is by far the best bit, it had me engrossed at that point, but was it worth the rest of the time, I feel it probably wasn't.
The one thing I must add is that I did put the film on, as I hadn't seen it in years, and I had to turn it off, as the book was better at least that the movie.
on 20 January 2015
Slow build up to be sure, but well worth it in the end.
on 16 August 2014
Great story. Arrived as stated, in perfect condition.