Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

A typical Simak novel; with a warm protagonist, seeing the best in people, up against the system, and perhaps he is right, but maybe not.

The world is flooded with useful new technology, eg razor blades that stay sharp and reliable cars. People seem to be heading for a better life. But where is the better life? Maybe they are leaving this world.

It draws you in, the writing is faultless, and you find that time has passed when you only meant to take a quick glance. I picked it up for a quick thumb through to remind myself about it for this review, but that was four hours ago and I read it at a sitting.

Brilliant, and it's one of those with the deeper message that makes you think. What will be the next stage of humanity? Who will replace us, like we are supposed to have replaced the Neanderthals.
on 30 April 1998
As one begins reading this book Phillip Dick comes to mind. That however is not a bad thing. The first 11 chapters seem to really interest me, then it kind of went into a lull. Around chapter 30 or so it gets interesting again. It is a good read though, but Dick did it better. (Even though Dick came after Simak)
on 8 March 2014
I read this when I was young and just loved the spinning top. But now it seems all a bit old fashioned. Maybe its worth an extra star if you want something a bit lyrical. It has some lovely language at the beginning on a battlefield. Another minor annoyance is that has obviously been scanned from a paper version. And no one has bothered to proof read the scan so there are loads of errors. I think Simak is worthy of a bit more respect than that!
on 15 April 2015
Great book but littered with typos