Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2013
I can almost hear Ian Carmichael speaking Lord Wimsey's words as I read this, remembering a TV series decades ago; but what I really like is the comfy feel of a mystery woven by another excellent female writer in the thirties, and set in the beautiful Borders.
on 17 June 2014
Not my fasvourite Wimsey novel. I find it difficult to concentrate. out of her usual environment she concentrates too much on emphasising the local accents and it starts to be a bit repititious. neithe Bunter of Wimsey are drawn as well as in later books.
on 24 September 2013
I read this book many years ago and thought it would make a good holiday read. The style is quire dated but that adds to the enjoyment. A classic "whodunnit" with many twists and turns. I failed to pick out the murderer. Well drawn characters.
on 26 January 2000
I am a regualr user of audio entertainment, I use it in the car driving to and from work, and also to play while doing boring things like the ironing.
The Radio dramtisation is just fantastic, it has the one and only Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter, and is made by the experts at this the BBC. If you are considering audio always get a BBC one, they are much better value for money, you get a whole threatrical experience in the car. This story is riveting, I would strongly recommend it.
David
on 30 October 2014
Great product, loved the story, keep on Lord Peter !!
It is a good plot but the writing in a 'Scottish accent' makes it harder to follow and I must admit that I found it difficult to remember who all the characters were. Not the best in the series by a long way but still a very clever plot
on 2 October 2013
I first read this about 70 years ago and that was more than 10 years after it was written. It will not appeal to some present day readers with its occasional casual racism and outdated social conventions (the research team would have been highly improbable even in her day).. There is also little violence in it However I like it for its intellectual challenge -you have to be prepared to work at it- and the beautiful quality of the writing. Dorothy Sayers was a fine English scholar - and it shows.
I found it an enjoyable rereaddespite the imperfections, which lead me to give it 4 stars.
on 15 May 2013
Bought this for my Kindle after reading a reference to it in another book. Couldn't put it down. Kept changing my mind about who the murderer was and how it had taken place. Brilliant!
on 30 October 2012
As an avid reader of D L Sayers for many years, I am delighted with my Kindle version,
and hope to collect more titles over the next year. Well laid out and presented, a joy to read.
on 10 September 2011
This has got to be much the most tedious of the Wimsey novels. The title comes from the fact that there are six suspects but only one of them is the killer. Sayers was very cheeky in the way she planted the most vital clue to solving the mystery while inundating the reader with seemingly hundreds of misleading facts. Rather than plodding through all of this and trying to reason out the solution, readers are likely to think 'let's get on with it' and start skimming ahead towards the end. I certainly did.