5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for any cat lover, 20 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I highly reccommend this book for any cat lover, anywhere. Cats are my absolute favorite animal and I've read lots of books about them but no book (until I read this one) accurately depicted what the cat was actually thinking!! I loved it, because I always wonder what my cats are thinking and Foudini's insight into the human world is both hilarious and charming. David Hyde Pierce is the perfect narrarator--I love and am a huge fan of all of his work, and as someone who's seen lots of his stuff, I think he does an exceptionally great job in this book--illustrating all of Foudini's different emotions and really making you identify with the characters in the book!! He also does a great job with the Freud voice and the voice of Sam the dog. I reccommend this book for anybody looking for something to listen to on a long car ride (if you buy the audiotape) or read at home any time. It's one of my favorite books ever--you don't want to miss it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for cat-owners and cat-lovers, 20 July 1999
This review is from: The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat (Paperback)
If you own a cat or love cats, you'll love this book. It's extremely well-written and draws you into the life of Foudini M. Cat from page one. The characterization of Foudini, Sam and Grace are convincing, humorous and touching. The most poignant scene between Sam and Foudini reminds me of The Velveteen Rabbit, and was just as heart-warming. This is a great book for any adult cat-lover, and would also make a great book to read to young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, excellent narration!, 4 Aug 1999
By A Customer
For Cat & Dog lovers alike, this book makes you so much more appreciative living with your beloved pets. You know you aren't alone out there wondering..."what in the world kind of thought lives do they have?" It also will leave you very determined to figure out what your pets name is for you!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great audio book for car trips!, 4 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Never have I heard a better dramatic reading of any book than David Hyde Pierce's reading of "Foudini." His choices for each voice seem exactly right, and with a light touch added great poignancy to the more tender, serious moments. My husband and daughter and I listened to this while driving from Chicago to Boston for Thanksgiving. My daughter, 8, was so enchanted she insisted on hearing it three times. (The section with Freud's cat engendered some interesting and delicate discussions!--why was Grace the Cat "viggling"?) Some hilarious moments. As both a cat and dog lover, I think the author gets the mind and heart of both species just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Dough, 3 April 1999
This review is from: The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat (Paperback)
Unfortunately, when I picked up this book at a local bookstore, I did not have the money to buy the charming autobiography of this small, yet wise, cat. However, while my mother shopped elsewhere, I began reading it. Although I only got twenty-some pages in the book, I would be willing to fork over the value of this book just for that much. Delightfully, retold, I extremely enjoyed the first part of this book, although I do not particularly care for cats. Such books as "A Dog's Life" by Peter Mayle, and this one, interest me for its peculiar point of view. A must-read. I can't wait to finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book marred by the ending, 9 July 1998
By A Customer
Although this is Foudini's autobiography, which he recounts for his cat, Grace, so that she will know what Life is like, the book is basically a love story about Foudini and his dog Sam. Foudini is rescued from the laundry room of an apartment building when he is still a small kitten. He is eventually adopted by a couple whom he names "Warm" and "Pest" and later befriends their dog Sam (at first Foudini thinks Sam is a wolf who wants to eat him but later they become very close companions). Much of the book details both conversations between Foudini and Sam and their games and adventures together, including the various times when Sam saves Foudini's life. I found parts of the book utterly charming, in particular the section in which Foudini explains why cats like heat so much as well as the section in which Grace tries to teach "Warm" how to speak cattish (I read this outloud to my husband -- it took me nearly ten minutes to read three pages, we were laughing so much). Schaeffer has clearly spent a great deal of time observing her own cats and here creates a universe for them that is richly populated with "dog fairy tales" and dreams in which real and mythological cats appear to Foudini to help him sort out his thoughts and emotions on various matters. The only real problem I had with the book was the ending -- one of those mythological cats that keep coming around should have told Foudini that two to three million homeless cats and kittens are euthanized in the US every year -- more kittens are not the solution to this problem. Still, it's definitely worth reading if you like cats or dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 6 May 1999
By A Customer
Pierce is the perfect narrator for this story. Not only has he captured the essence of Foudini, but he switches among the various character voices with perfect ease. I am fan of his TV work on "Frasier," but after a short time completely forgot that he had ever been anyone but Foudini. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, funny & heartwarming book for all cat lovers!, 4 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I absolutely loved this book. Have recommended it to others, all of whom have purchased it after reading it. A sweet gentle story told in the first person by a very smart cat. The author's insight into felines makes me feel she may have been a cat herself in some other life ! Recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Even for Non-Cat Lovers, 30 Mar 1998
By A Customer
My wife went into the hospital in the fifth month of her pregnancy with twins. Things did not look good, and I needed to find something to cheer her up. Someone at a bookstore recommended this book, so I took it to her. She loved it!!! She was able to hang on at the hospital for two more months. I feel like we owe our beautiful babies to this wonderful book. I read it after she had finished, and I must say I was drawn in. It is full of both laughter and tears as the little kitten starts exploring its world and eventually grows into the wise old cat who writes this book while watching over another young kitten.

By all means, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Gift for Pet Lovers, 11 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat (Paperback)
Foudini is one of those deceptively simple stories which speaks large truths about the human condition--which is interesting, because it's narrated by a cat. Humans everywhere will recognize themselves in the behavior of Warm and Pest, the "owners" of Foudini, a wise old housecat who writes this book in an attempt to instruct foolish young Grace the Cat about survival in a dangerous world. Susan Schaeffer shows once again that she is a master of creating intimate and intricate relationships among her characters, whether they're human, cat, or dog. Perfect holiday book to curl up with and read to your cat.

The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat
The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer (Paperback - 1 Nov 1998)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks