4.0 out of 5 stars Scary but very true: Body acceptance=No overeating
Published on 3 Feb. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Would NOT recommend
I gave up on page 56. I just do not agree that EVERY bad body thought you have conceals a personal concern that has nothing to do with shape. Pages 52 - 56 in my opinion were utter nonsense. I had to put the book down. I have read quite a few books on similar subjects and have enjoyed absorbing the information and reading to the very end. In my opinion 'when women stop...
Published on 13 Jun. 2011 by N M

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary but very true: Body acceptance=No overeating, 3 Feb. 2001
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
The premise of the book is that you must love or at least unconditionally accept your body if you are ever going to stop compulsive eating. The writers recommend many steps which will sound scary in the beginning (like ensuring that there is always a stock of your fave foods and treats in your house!). I know that many women fear that if they love their bodies, they will not have an incentive for getting fitter. Experience taught me that this is simply not true. I, too, was scared. In fact, after reading the first 10 pages, I was ready to toss the book. Thank God, I did not. It made me think. It made me realise. And it made me move on to recovery from food obsession. It does not matter very much to me any more, but FYI I have lost and continue losing weight almost effortlessly. The reason I gave this book 4 stars rather than 5 is that I found it tedious at some points. But the good parts are definitely worth 5 stars. It may change your life. I would also recommend Marilyn Migliore's "The Hunger Within". It is more practical and places emphasis on different issues, but it is a very good complementary book to this one. Geneen Roth's books (especially "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating") are also very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life! Really! Trust me!, 27 Aug. 1997
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by my dearest friend. Like many women, we've both spent years dieting like crazy and/or exercising obsessively -- and then giving it all up, eating obsessively, hating ourselves, hating our bodies...you know the cycle. If this sounds familiar, maybe you're ready to try a completely different approach. Yes? Then read this book. It's about creating a world in which your body size *does not matter* -- only your happiness, peacefulness, and well being are important. That society is not the society we live in, but it *was* the one our foremothers belonged to, and if enough of us are willing to change our attitudes, maybe someday it will be the one our daughters or granddaughters inhabit. If we want to create that world, we have to make some big changes. Learning to let go of your obsessions, focusing on your body's true rhythms and needs, accepting and *liking* what you see in the mirror today, this very minute -- that's hard. It's harder than any diet. But the rewards are far beyond what you get from losing 10 or 15 pounds (only to gain it back again and hate yourself in the long run). The rewards of learning to love yourself just as you are, to nurture yourself as lovingly as you nurture others -- that's beyond measure. It's something that, if you can do it, will be with you forever. No one will be able to take away your self-love, except yourself. Interested? Then please read this book. Join the growing number of women who no longer accept the unrealistic ideal of female perfection that is thrown at us daily. Become an instrument of change -- both for yourself and for the twisted, diet-crazed, unhealthy society we're presently a part of. Think ahead to the peace you can create -- both for others and especially for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book on eating disorders ever written, 11 Mar. 1997
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
Read this book if you are serious about recovering from your eating disorder. This book changed my life. It is the most comprehensive book on eating disorders for people who have them dealing with how to love and take care of yourself without shame or guilt and how to love yourself no matter what your size or relationship with food. It speaks out why diets are just a form of control that will not really change the things in your life that are making you eat or not eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accept your body the way it is and the rest will follow effortlessly, 5 Feb. 2010
I. Horswell (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
This book is an eye opener. I have been trying to step off the diet ladder for a while now having been I have been a compulsive eater for years and struggled with (minor, if there is such a thing) bulimia. Even when I was an average size I was never thin enough.

I have read a lot of books about stopping dieting and learning to accept yourself but none have been as comprehensive, nurturing and useful as this one. I hate the title (its not a book you can easily read in pubic without a cover!) but the book is a real gem. It covers lots of different issues that people face and gives useful tips on how to overcome them. Some will be more relevant to you than others. I previously read "overcoming overeating" by the same authors which was good (4 Stars) but I'd rate this one at 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive plan to treat eating disorders., 19 Jan. 1999
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
As a budding psychiatrist with a strong personal and professional interest in eating disorders, this book speaks to me every time I pick it up. It makes sense. These authors present their thesis for changing the focus of your life from food and weight in small carefully explained steps, and challenge your arguments and doubts in detail immediately thereafter. I must agree with the other reviewers in recommending that every woman in America read this book. If you are sick of dieting and tired of hating your body, and who isn't? This book will change your perspective and tempt you to take their advice and change your life. I've only just begun, but it's changing mine already.

4.0 out of 5 stars An in depth book on intuitive eating, 25 Dec. 2008
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
I discovered the concept of intuitive eating through an organisation called Beyond Chocolate, and that led me to this book. It is heavy going at times, which is why it got 4 stars instead of 5, but it's a great book otherwise. It explores why we overeat and why diets don't work, but there are also sections on body image and self esteem. I think I would have found it too hard going if it was the first book I'd read on the subject, but as an addition to my collection, it is very welcome. I actually think it may turn out to be the most helpful of the books I have in terms of overcoming my eating problems.

For an introduction to intuitive eating, I'd recommend Overcoming Overeating (by the same authors) and Beyond Chocolate by Audrey Boss and Sophie Boss, both are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so true!, 29 Sept. 2008
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
This book is spot on - when we stop criticizing every lump and bump and begin to focus on our relationship with food - weight loss takes care of itself and we can begin to taste an unimagined freedom around food! Hirshmann and Munter have written an inspiring and powerful book which helped me make REAL changes in the way I ate and the way I felt about my body - all of which indirectly lead to weight loss. Ten years on, I can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A solution to a difficult problem., 18 Jun. 1998
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
The value of this book cannot be under-estimated. Many women berate themselves over a need to lose weight and yet find themselves unsuccessful again and again and again.
This book encourages an exploration of the underlying issues that manifest themselves as a food/weight problem. There are many self-help books on the market dealing with this very painful subject but none, that I've read, have addressed the issue with the thoughtfulness and care with which these writers have.
The book's greatest value is, not in that it describes a problem with which I can identify, but that it left me with the hope that it can be overcome. That hope is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for this book!, 19 Mar. 1999
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
It's hard to be a woman, but this book makes it easier. This book is the only one I've found that sets up guidelines for learning to love your body--how to feel acceptance and peace. It's a radical notion (what would become of the diet/cosmetic/tanning/hair/orthodontic /fashion/cosmetic surgery industries if women decided they were beautiful in their own uniquenesses and they were just going to kick back and enjoy themselves?) This book sets out joyous and triumphant possibilities for the kind of lives we can choose to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why So Long to Find This book?, 12 July 2009
C. Harding (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies (Paperback)
Reading this book makes me feel like it has been written just for me. It has good ideas, real peoples experiences and experiments to try out. It is an addictive read....

When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies
When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies by Jane Hirschmann (Paperback - 1 Aug. 1998)