5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but....
Readers should be aware that this is the SAME book as Breach of Promise by Anne Perry. Published under a different title presumably for the US market. BEWARE!
Published on 8 Jan. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, Anne. . .where are the last six pages???
Published on 6 Aug. 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, Anne. . .where are the last six pages???, 6 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I don't think I could ever totally trash any book that Anne writes. As usual, Oliver, Hester, and William make a great team, and the big surprise that comes right after the murder midway through the book made me gasp out loud. . .as did the resolution of the subplot involving the investigative work William does for Miss Jackson. But when I turned the last page, I said to myself, "Hold on here! Is this case concluded or not?" Frankly, half the fun of seeing the mystery solved is the big final scene where the big society person gets exactly what's coming to him or her. Well, I checked to see if any pages had been torn out of my library copy of the book. Nope. All I can say is, "Anne, don't be in such a big hurry to get your book to the publisher next time." This one suffers from the same thing that made me stop reading John Grisham--a hurried ending that leaves significant pieces of the plot unresolved. Resolve the mystery next time and keep us guessing about the relationships, not vice versa. Anne, you've done better. . .and you can do it again:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but...., 8 Jan. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars How will it end?, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
Before "The sin of the wolf" was my favourite, but this time I really couldn't stop reading...Mrs Perry writing and descriptions of the characters are so deep that it's impossible not to think and behave as one of them. My favourite one is of course Monk! I'm so romantic so at the end of this book I found me jumping of joy, laughing and running from one toom to another. I bet with a friend of mine about the relationship among Hester- Monk- Rathbone. I was sure Monk would be the right person for her. Now, I' m really looking forward to reading Mrs Perry next book. How will this love end?

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Page-Turner!, 1 Nov. 1998
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
There were two instances in this book where I nearly dropped it from excitement, disbelief and admiration for an author who continues to keep her readers guessing. This Anne Perry mystery is absolutely one of her top ones. I was completely unprepared for the twists and turns that she took. Her knowledge of the Victorian era is so vast that I almost believe she has a window to the past.... Hester, Monk and Rathbone do not disappoint--a definite page turner. I can't believe I have to wait monthes for the next one!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Perry, 1 Oct. 1998
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
A Breach of Promise begins slowly as Anne Perry sets her scene in the courtroom drawing us into Oliver Rathbone's latest and perhaps most frustrating case yet. Ms. Perry is a master manipulator of her audience and despite the rather plodding nature of the first hundred pages or so the reader is so completely joined in Rathbone's simultaneous frustration and determination, that one must see the case through with him. The pace picks up, however, as soon as Monk and Hester enter the story, their peculiarly intense interaction having always driven this series beyond the bounds of most Victorian mysteries. But despite the fact that Breach is quintessential Perry, with the requisite stunning twist in the main plot, and a moving subplot involving the household in which Hester is currently employed, the nature in which the two plots become connected struck this reader as somewhat contrived considering the usually tight and highly individual manner in which Perry handles her material. Ultimately though, Perry's amazing talent for conveying emotion through the details of place and character enable her to rise above a slight thinness in plot. A Breach of Promise is an emotionally satisfying tale, and in addition, a powerful social commentary on not only the Victorian era's valuing of beauty and marriage, but on our own culture's preoccupation with these issues as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, overdrawn courtroom drama, 29 May 1999
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
I have admired and enjoyed Ms. Perry's style, plot development, and particularly her characters. "Breach" is not her best as it is unecessariliy prolonged and repetative; it almost says 'maybe you don't understand this. so we'll go over it again'. But she'll rebound, probably better than ever

5.0 out of 5 stars Enormously Satisfying!!!!, 11 Jun. 1999
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
Anne Perry is marvelous! She manages to add just the right amount of information to her books that leaves you tingling with anticiption of the next book. Breach of Promise is definitely toward the top on my list of favorites. The Monk novels are just wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one!!, 9 Mar. 2012
This book was all I was hoping for in an Ann Perry mystery. It was informative- more interesting background into the Victorian era. It was engaging - I could not put it down - in fact I had to cheat and read the end so that I could go to sleep. It was satisfying. I have read several of her stories about William Monk and Hester Latterly, but this answers some of the romantic questions that I had been wondering about. Altogether a happy experience. Perhaps I'll read it again before my husband gets to it . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Latest Perry not up to snuff, 12 Jan. 1999
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
I have read most of Anne Perry's mysteries and, while I still find her very readable, I wish she would edit herself a bit more judiciously. Lately, it seems her concerns about Victorian women's positions are too often verbalized and not demonstrated. In 1999, none of us need to be persuaded of the injust treatment of Victorian women. Too, her characters she has created to represent "society's" unsympathetic views are invariably flat and uninteresting. How much more intriguing if the boorish brother in PROMISE were truly concerned for his sibling and vulnerable in his confusion over what to do, if he had a sense of humor or compassion. I found the main plot intriguing, but the subplot rather dull until it finally, and unconvincingly, merged with the main plot. I was also disappointed by the lack of closure in the story--it seemed quite tricky to get the murderer to confess or have sufficient proof of the truth. Instead, the story ended suddenly, needing a good two chapters to tie up loose ends. I'll keep reading Anne Perry, because the atmosphere she creates is excellent, and her mysteries can be very intriguing, but her weaknesses are becoming more apparent with each new book.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad ... but not her best one, 12 April 1999
This review is from: A Breach of Promise (Hardcover)
I have to agree with some of the other reviewers - we were cheated of an ending somehow, but I didn't really mind that lots of things were left to my imagination. And let's be honest - did you really want the story to ramble on after these final words we all waited for? I have to agree though that Perry gets more and more of a women's lib writer in her books and I cought myself skipping these long monologues in favour of women's rights. We all are aware of that Ms Perry! And please, we all know that there are some pretty strange coincidences in life, but this one was a little too much...
Certainly not her best book, but not the worst either - that was "Brunswick Gardens". I will keep buying her books anyway, I have grown too fond of the characters to stop now...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Breach of Promise
A Breach of Promise by Anne Perry (Hardcover - Oct. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.10