5.0 out of 5 stars The best possible introduction to Italian life., 5 Dec 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Italian Neighbours, or, a Lapsed Anglo-Saxon in Verona (Paperback)
I was still reading this book when I arrived in Italy, and what a difference it made to my visit! I felt so at home, and enjoyed every minute, as if Tim Parks had personally introduced me to all his friends and neighbours. I found this book a delightfully good read, and look forward to reading the sequel. I've started on his novels now, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't the Italians, you will!, 12 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Sparing sentimentality, Tim Parks uncovers the Italian way of life. With a witty, poignant style, he zeroes in on the ups and downs of expatriate living, exposing the humor in Italian culture while ultimately revering it. Though I lived in Italy 11 years, this book gave me a new perspective on Italians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for anyone about to visit Italy, 12 Sep 1996
Having been to Italy 15 times over the last 5 years,
I "thought" I had an insight on how Italians, especially
Northerners, thinks and feel. Tim Parks' book gives me
new insight into a people who are as unusual and interesting
as they come. Excellent for a person who has yet to visit
or will visit shortly.

RCMiller

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Enjoyable, especially for those who know Verona., 22 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I read this book while I was living in Verona. It was interesting to read the perspective of an outsider to the city, Parks has a style which is easy to relate to, unfortunately his honesty re: what he saw lead to him having to leave Verona...I think he told too many secrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capuccino e espresso, 24 April 1999
By A Customer
This is a good book. It's so nice to hear about real people and, in this case, about a different culture, as well. Being an expatriate in Germany I recognized a lot of situations and could really empathize with his view of a completely new home. I think I would have liked to hear much earlier in the book that his wife is Italian. I felt a bit cheated when I thought both of them were "foreign" through most of the book - we were led to believe that they were helpless in many situations, when it simply must have been easier.
After you read this book. Buy the next. And I hope the next, and the next, and ....

Italian Neighbours, or, a Lapsed Anglo-Saxon in Verona
Italian Neighbours, or, a Lapsed Anglo-Saxon in Verona by Tim Parks (Paperback - July 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01