5.0 out of 5 stars Characters that draw you completely into their world., 24 May 1998
This review is from: Storm Tide (Hardcover)
Read this now!! Piercy has always drawn powerful and interesting characters, especially those who grow out of the sixties spirit. The three around whom the story revolves are vivid, memorable, and, if not always loveable, certainly always compelling. The first person point of view of David's story gave an added intimacy to the relationship with his character, at least for this reader. The intrigue of the plot on both the personal and political levels was great! I love the way that Judiasm, food and respect for learning are woven into the plot. Now I will have to add Mr. Wood to my list of favorite authors, which has long been topped by his wife. Like many of her books, notably, for me, He, She and It and Vida, I couldn't decide whether to whip through in one or two sittings, or to savor for a while. Sadly, I really couldn't put it down, and wait eagerly for the next work, collaboration or otherwise. The notes about the art of collaboration at the end were also of great interest, and added to my appreciation of this terrific story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little big of everything: romance, mystery,self-discovery, 17 July 1998
This review is from: Storm Tide (Hardcover)
I can be a fretful traveler, but with this book to read, I didn't mind an Amtrak train running an hour behind schedule. The web of lives and lies between Crystal and David, Judith and David, and David and himself kept me turning the pages. Arriving at my destination for a day of summer fun in San Diego,it was with a sigh that I put this book down to be finished the next day! The story speeds along, but not at such a pace that the reader misses the local color descriptions, the familial details, and the emotional tug of war the main characters engage in.
There was a single sentence I would have liked to have read at the very end that would have tied up one loose end---I will reread to make sure I didn't miss it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing; a fun read, 1 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Storm Tide (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed several of Piercy's other works and I am always intrigued by the way she takes "odd" relationships, turns them around til you, the reader, see them differently--as optimal. While I enjoyed the whole dynamic, the character of Crystal was truly well drawn. Unfortunately, I have known women like Crystal, for whom drawing and binding a partner to you in a pathologic fashion was their conception of love. Intriguing and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful exploration of changing relationship for all involved., 25 Jan. 2015
EMC (UK, Singapore, Chennai) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Tide (Paperback)
While classified as a feminist writer; Marge Piercy for me, does full justice in forming on the page rounded and complex women. When you go back and re-read Virginia Woolf's classic 'A Room of Ones Own' you truly can see, throughout Piercy's body of work, the evolution of the modern female who no longer rails against the opposite sex but rather does battle with her own sex and its complexities. Having said that, her work is still readable and not a fluff gathering naval gazing exercise. Storm Tide is a beautiful exploration of changing emotional states and the related confusion that brings for all involved.

Storm Tide
Storm Tide by Ira Wood (Paperback - Dec. 1999)