Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2011
This book came very well-reviewed, but I found it disappointing. It really should be titled 'what do young people wear'---which is something different from how to look young! In fact the women who remain most attractive (like those I see around me here in France) often do so by shrewdly avoiding wearing things that are really only successful on young bodies; wearing 'young' clothes that don't flatter actually makes you look older, and maybe just a little bit sad. But that's pretty much the message of this book: wear these sixteen items of clothing that young people wear---whether they look good on you or not.

It won't fool anyone.

A much better book for looking sexy and attractive after 40 is Staging Your Comeback by Christopher Hopkins, which includes not only practical and realistic advice on clothes, hair, makeup etc, but shows pictures of real women who have really been transformed by intelligent and beautiful clothes and makeup.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2008
This was a very clear and frank book about clothing, underwear and shoes. What you should absolutely NOT wear and what would be best to wear for the slightly to more mature woman.
Looking around the streets I'd say it is a most welcome book with the right sort of information.
I learned lots and I am feeling much better out there now!
on 1 September 2008
Feel Fab at 50

I liked this book for its wealth of advice on how to look younger. Ms Krupp pulls no punches either as she says we must retain our youthful looks if we are to remain successful - so no slacking here! Despite the US, hard hitting style, it really did have some great tips, especially the underwear and make up - 2 areas guaranteed to age if you get them wrong.
on 27 February 2009
I received this book as a gift and must admit I first read it with a jaundiced view but soon I was savouring every word! It is full of great advice on everything from cosmetics and skin care to shoes, jeans cut, etc. and I actually think I look younger for following her advice. I guess the best comment is that I have now given it as gifts to my best girlfriends and younger sister.
on 29 February 2012
Being 40, I am interested in all things that help me look as good as I can, with good diet, exercise etc without going down the botox and filler route. This book on style gives loads of advice and tips on make up, fashion and hair, showing what to avoid in order not to look "old." The message is basically to aim for a look that is clean and modern, with light make up, soft hair and avoiding anything too "young" or frumpy.

A lot of it is common sense, and the pictures are appealing in a glossy magazine kind of way, and the examples of celebrities getting it right and wrong (for instance, she shows two Sharon Stone pictures, one with light lipstick and another dark and how much younger and fresher she looks with the light one) are quite enlightening.

She takes different beauty styles - high,mid and low maintenance into account and also different budgets, and my only criticism is that I wish she wasn't so prescriptive in her advice and encouraged a bit more diversity of style, with examples of real life stylish and individual women, not just celebrities who have obviously been styled. And there is an assumption, I think that the reader is fairly slim.

I bought this at the same time as another book, Staging Your Comeback, and of the two preferred this one, only because I felt this one might be aimed at slightly younger women.
on 20 August 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book, it is easy to read and gives lots of great tips. Although I had read it within a few days I still like to go back to it and read up on certain sections. I have followed some of the advise and am pleased to say am pleased with the results. It would make a good gift for a close girlfriend or family member. It is a pleasure to read.
on 6 June 2011
this is a very good buy if you can manage to cope with the author's manner of presenting herself as the one indisputed expert on looking younger! but she does have excellent advice and also some good buys are listed (although some cannot be bought in the UK!!!!! suprise surpise) would be good if writers selling over here could manage to do this extra work before flogging their books over here after all we are prob paying the same price for the book! overall i must admit this book has some great tips; has a good readable layout and is something i will keep for reference prob for a long time (until of course it gets TOO OLD! ).
on 16 September 2015
This book is o.k., but I wouldn't recommend anyone over 40 buying it. One of the reasons being that the picture on the front is obviously a very young, pretty woman, not quite the thing for anyone over 40. As I am 67, o.k. not bad for my age, I am well aware that there comes a point where you just make the best of what you were dealt. So, no I don't recommend it for making you look younger. There are plenty of better books out there. Disappointing.
on 15 June 2011
I am 42 and beginning to worry about how not to dress right. I am a classic dresser, I tend not to make as many mistakes as my colourful friends but occasionally when I need to dress for a cocktail party or get together which requires a bit of colour, I tend to be wee bit lost so I always stick to black. Which is stoic and tad boring. Saw this book on amazon, bought it from a US dealer so took a while to receive it. BUT so worth the wait. THe advice is priceless, mixed with some things we already know from magazines; a book truly useful and will keep with me for a long while more.
on 5 December 2009
It's excellent: practical advice all the way. The most expensive book I ever read, because I threw out all my makeup, clothes etc. and bought replacements - money well spent. I have spread the word and my friends are all enthusiastic too (we're over 60, going on 40).