4.0 out of 5 stars A Trust Betrayed
Published on 15 Jan 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars "A Trust Betrayed" leaves the reader feeling betrayed
"A Trust Betrayed" is precisely how this book left me feeling. Opening with Margaret looking for her missing husband, it closes with the same dilemma unsatisfactorily unresolved. Doubtless a second book will follow and if this book had worked I should care about what happens next, but I don`t.
The author has obviously researched her historical facts but her...
Published on 18 April 2001 by cladonald

4.0 out of 5 stars A Trust Betrayed, 15 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I thoughly enjoyed this book. The difference between this and other medieval murder mystery books is that this book features a woman as its "super sleuth". The author incorporates many people in to the plot which was hard at some points to keep up with, but which certainly made the book interesting. I found it was one of those books you simply couldn't put down. My only negative point would be that the ending left you feeling a little cheated. Many questions are left unanswered (issues to cross over to the next instalement) and unfortunatly the book gives no indication when the follow up book will be published. Other than that, a jolly good "who done it", obviously written by someone who has done a lot of medieval research. Reading the book teaches you a lot about the realities of living during this period of Scottish history.

2.0 out of 5 stars "A Trust Betrayed" leaves the reader feeling betrayed, 18 April 2001
The author has obviously researched her historical facts but her storyline, characterisation and feel for the time and place, fail abysmally.
As if this were not bad enough, the final FOURTEEN pages of my edition comprised advertising for the author`s other books. Because this included a 12 page extract from another book readers are badly misled about where the book itself ends.
A poor read, poorly presented.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull as ditchwater, 19 Aug 2010
I bought this book as I adore medieval history and am an avid reader of anything set in the medieval period be it fiction or non-fiction, but what a disappointment this book was. The plot was thin, characters were dull, uninteresting and I couldn't feel any empathy with any of them. I had to literally force myself to pick up the book and finish it in the vain hope it was going to get better. It didn't. I wish I hadn't bothered finishing it as the reader is left hanging, the storyline isnt resolved - presumably because there are going to be more books in the series.

In terms of plot, I would only actually give this book 1 star. Its only saving grace and the reason I gave it 2 was because the author obviously knows her stuff when it comes to medieval life and this was the only thing I found interesting about this book. This author would be far better writing non fiction books on the medieval period because she lacks the imagination to come up with a decent storyline.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Trust Betrayed, 21 Feb 2011
Reverend D. Clark "David Clark" (Brittany, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Trust Betrayed (Margaret Kerr of Perth) (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading the Owen Archer novels. It was an interesting period of history, and I turned to the new series with high hopes, only to find that the magic was not there. There was too much Scottish history, and the characters never came alive. I was not interested in Margaret Kerr.
Probably I found such an unfamiliar period difficult to relate to, but this is not a common problem for me. The history had not been digested. In place of vivid details and a wealth of living characters I searched in vain. I finished the book because I am a determined reader, but other books produced later have the same faults.
Audrey Clark.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as usual, 8 Feb 2005
After great success with her mediaeval thrillers featuring Owen Archer Candace Robb has introduced a new investigator and a new series of which this is the first novel. Margaret Kerr is a young Scottish woman seeking her missing husband during the time when Edward I of England is trying to annexe Scotland to his kingdom. Margaret is staying with her husband's mother when her brother Andrew brings home the body of Jack, her husband's cousin. Margaret has a soft spot for this brutally murdered young man who has been looking for Roger in Edinburgh. Margaret sets off to follow his trail and finds herself amidst a nest of intrigue where two factions are trying to support different leaders to become King of Scotland.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent work in progress., 27 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Candace Robb's newest series is a work in progress. Her heroine, Margaret Kerr, is a woman in search of her husband and the truth behind the death of his best friend. Set in Edinburgh, Margaret encounters resistance from those she least suspects - her family. Caught up in the politics of the time, she soon comes to realize the danger she places herself and her family in. This book has much in the way of the history of Scotland and the British incursions into the region. Familiar names such as Edward Longshanks of England and William Wallace of Scotland are weaved into this story of political upheaval. Margaret Kerr is a developing character and as the story unfolds, she becomes more of a sleuth, which causes her to fall into more trouble than she ever anticipated. As it is a work in progress, I look eagerly look forward to the forthcoming sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful start to a series in progress., 24 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Any fan of Candace Robb will find this new series of tales enjoyable. Her character of Margaret Kerr is set in Scotland during the reign of Edward Longshanks of England. This book not only entertains, but educates those who know little about this period in world history. Since this is a series in progress, the character of Margaret Kerr is evolving as she attempts to find her husband in Edinburgh and becomes aware of how dangerous her position is and more about the political climate of the time. The mystery and history that Robb pens is an excellent blend and definitely worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric medieval page-turner, 31 May 2001
By A Customer
With a feisty, proto-feminist heroine and a large cast of colourful characters, Candace Robb's novel seethes with historical tensions, betrayals and dark secrets - both the personal and political. The author transports the reader into 13th century Edinburgh with flair and accuracy and the plot never ceases to thicken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery in medieval Scotland life+politics+ treachery, 17 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Our heroine, Margaret Kerr, finds her life caught up in the intrigue around the Scottish throne. Her merchant husband fails to return from a trip, her young kinsman dies mysteriously in the search. Margaret and her maid make the difficult journey to Edinburgh through a country with too few roads and too many bogs. Who and what she finds in the malodorous High Street and Cowgate of the capital reflect a very accurate picture of that time in Scottish history. A good read but the tale is not finished - is this part one of a new series?

2.0 out of 5 stars not up to the author's usual high standard, 8 Aug 2001
being a devoted fan of the Owen Archer series, I was eager to read this book, expecting a similar experience. In this I was disappointed, the characters and plot seem to be just outlines instead of finished. By this I mean I constantly had the feeling there were details missing from the story, I couldn't get a clear fysical or psychological picture of either Margaret or her husband Roger, even the streets of Edinburgh seemed oddly empty of life and activity(I have been there so I can sort of imagine what it would have been like in the Middle Ages) I have not given up on Margaret, and hope the next installment will be more satisfying, although I am looking forward more to the next Owen Archer!

A Trust Betrayed (Margaret Kerr of Perth)
A Trust Betrayed (Margaret Kerr of Perth) by Candace M. Robb (Paperback - April 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01