5.0 out of 5 stars Hard SciFi at its original best!, 20 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The City and the Stars/The Sands of Mars (Paperback)
This newly released omnibus contains two full-length novels that have become so ubiquitous as to be part of our psyche.
The City and The Stars made such an impression on me that I can remember exactly where I was when I read it for the very first time - seventh grade in Bright, California at one of the meanest junior highs I ever did attend. It was an escape, it was fantastical without being fantasy. It was hard science fiction, set in the future. At that age, I couldn't comprehend how far in the future but I knew it was a place I would have liked to see, doing things that Alvin did. Living that Grand Adventure with him!
I would encourage anyone who hasn't read an early Arthur C. Clarke or knows of any young science fiction fans to buy this omnibus & introduce them to the universe of Arthur C. Clarke. He did write more than 2001: A Space Odyssey - you know!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Master, 20 Mar. 2013
Jeff Pinkerton (Ashland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been an Arthur C. Clarke reader since the mid sixties, and his legacy continues to dominate the sci-fi genre.

Along with Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Harry Harrison and a few others, he has produced some real masterpieces.

One of the reasons, of course, is that he is simply a good writer. Another is that although he works in sci-fi, he doesn't get wrapped up in gadgetry and physics, or describing hops from one planet to another as if they were 737's on their hourly flights from New York to Chicago.

Instead, he takes on the grand sweep of galactic eras, the life of the universe, and the future of humanity, mining the very core of what sci-fi should be about, and which, in his hands, it is about.

The City and the Stars/The Sands of Mars
The City and the Stars/The Sands of Mars by Arthur Charles Clarke (Paperback - Sept. 2001)
Used & New from: £15.74