5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me
This book worked for me. I like that it's short book and has tests throughout so you can track your progress.

Haven't tried any other books on the subject, but this one has more than doubled my reading speed.

Published on 21 Aug 2008 by Adam "Reviewboy" Yorki...

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent tips wasted by puerile writing
Speed reading is like driving a car. You want to go faster, but because of what you've learned before, you are limited by your driving habits. By breaking those habits, and practising the new way to drive, you will be able to open up a whole new world of speed, and get to your destination much faster.

If you think the paragraph above is useful, and helps you...
Published 18 months ago by Steven Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, 21 Aug 2008
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)

I think that if you are already a fast reader then there may be limited value here, but for someone who is not a faster reader then this is a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 24 Feb 2010
N. Papoutsis "Sith" (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
Great book that offers a lot of advice on the topic of speed-reading.

It offers a variety of tests and techniques for self-improvement.

It might be 'small' (200 pages) but its very helpful because it can suit your personal style.

Great purchase for anyone new to speed-reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every 1st year student should read this, 3 Jun 2011
L. Davidson (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
This is basically a course in a book. The chapters are broken down in a systematic way that as you read each chapter you complete a part of the course and build upon previous parts.

Each chapter has a discussion of how to improve your reading speed, how to put it into practice with things like "pacers" and then a time trial to evaluate your progress.

This is an excellent book for all levels of readers. I thought I was a fairly quick reader, but with a few simple tools (like better eye movement) my speed has improved without a drop in comprehension.

I would recommend this book to anyone who reads regularly, to those who don't read often because they think they are too slow but especially to any university students. This book will help you to better use your reading time. You will be able to find the important information, read it faster and comprehend it better. For the price of this book compared to school textbooks it is a small investment with a big reward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Reading Anorak, 25 July 2011
Dean Cowan (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
I am not a great one for following the advice of self-help books in any shape or form, although I enjoy reading them. This however deserves to be systematically followed. It provides valuable strategies for advancing your reading in a short space of time and does what it says on the cover. So far I have completed all of the exercises up to day 5 and I have learnt useful techniques such as previewing; reading key words only; and have tried the eye exercises recommended. They all work.As someone who has to read constantly for my living often stuff I find as interesting as watching paint dry this book helps me get through my working day without being bogged down with useless reading material. All this is supported with daily exercises where you can monitor your own progress. All reading has to be purposeful for these techniques to have any meaning and the discussion on the differences between passive and active reading are also though provoking. The reference section provides useful texts for future reading. I'm hooked and see many happy years ahead of being a speed reading anorak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speed Reading: Read and Retain More in Less Time?, 28 May 2010
D. Hawkins "the business review" (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
Where does all the time go?

Recently, as I have been compulsively working through my 'reading' pile, I've been watching from the corner of my eye, the 'to do' pile of books. Where in the past it's been a moderate selection, it's now become something of a collection.

Am I reading too many books? Am I 'busying' myself out of reading time? My mind is wandering and I'm losing motivation to read.

The ocassional daydream will segue into the idea of time management -- I would certainly welcome more organisation. But even when I find the time for more reading, I don't get any further -- or improve retention for that matter.

Then I summised... If I could improve my concentration maybe I would not only read quicker, but read and retain more too.

"Concentration is the art of being focused, the ability to pay attention"

The author of 10 Days to Faster Reading, Abby Marks Beale, has good reason to write a book on faster reading. She qualifies herself for this topic with her creation, 'Rev It Up Reading,'* a successful program that gets people up to speed with their reading. But she has also founded a company* that helps busy professionals work faster, smarter "and just plain better." All this talk of speed makes me wonder if she's a fast car fanatic.

"Practice is an important aspect of improving your reading speed," Abby says in the introduction. I, however, have been practicing for nearly two decades for heavens sake. When is practice time over? I read the way I was taught in school. As far as I can tell it's the same approach as everyone else...

This, it turns out, is the problem.

In school we are taught to read every word. This is because we are still learning the meaning of words and the context in which they are used. It's critical to read word by word for comprehension.

By the time we've left school, however, we have a good foundation of the language we learnt in school, and understand context through experience. It's not necessary for adults to read every single word but this is what many of us are doing. To make matters worse, so many adults have retained the school taught habit of 'saying' the words mentally when reading.

Abby explains, "In oral reading, you were forced to read word by word. This habit probably carried over into your silent reading. If you are reading a word at a time silently, you read no faster than you speak - 150 words per minute."

The voice in our mind is a direct representation of our physical voice, and with that, the same pitch, speed, tempo etc. Having a voice in your head is positively normal, but it's this habit that is slowing down the speed of reading. And by a big margin too.

This, of course, presents a problem.

So how do we get around this dilemma?

Having '10 Days' in the title isn't just a weak marketing ploy -- an ambitious ruse to get readers hopes up. You are, as I have been, taken through 10 days (chapters) of learning and testing.

Each day begins with an easy to understand introduction to the learning of that particular day - using racing car analogies. (I knew it!)

On the outside it may seem incompatible but it works; incredibly well actually.

"Pileups are possible during any car race. [The conditions on the track make for slippery driving, or there are just too many cars grouped together. These reasons are similar to why you might have a reading pileup]."

We then have a brief moment for tips and tricks on improving your reading. Of the many approaches my favourite is 'pre-viewing'. With little more than a glance through your prospective reading, you get a feel, and direction, for the material. As we read properly from the start we are subconciously led with a sense of direction. Thwarting that 'lost in a trance' feeling that, I for one, am partial to.

"10 Days to Faster Reading is a book that wants to get you involved, and this involvement intends to lead you towards the development of habits."

To cap off every day, there is a time trial. This is where you measure your growth each and every day.

"Okay," begins the first time trial, "let's hit the road. First you need to find out how you read with regard to speed and comprehension."

Everyday, the time trial tests you on speed and comprehension. Speed is determined by a short article of about a page in length. The time you take is calculated by the number of words and hey presto, you have your 'words per minute' result - a little more on this in a bit.

Another measurement of your performance, 'comprehension,' is found through 10 'true, false or not discussed' statements; the more you get correct, the better.

But what are the benefits of these results you may ask?

All of this information has a special place in the 'Personal Progress' section at the back of the book. It serves as a log for your development over 10 days. The currency here is wpm (words per minutes) and naturally you want this to be increasing over time.

I won't go into all the details of my results but I will give you the overall picture:

Day 1:

* 220 wpm
* 70% comprehension

Day 10:

* 460 wpm
* 80% comprehension

While it's not an earth shattering improvement, after only 10 days I was quite startled.

This speed reading book crams a feature-full system that gives you parental guidance from day 1. But further, it is essentially your journal while you partake in the course, allowing you to jot down your results in a well thought out system. Most readers will appreciate how such a small package can leave you with a clear-cut idea of your reading abilities, and then go on to nurture that ability. But for those who have a more conventional slant, taking a pen or pencil to a freshly printed business book is seen as almost sacriligious. I know I whimpered when I penned in my first record. To this, however, I have a solution. Use a bloody pencil.

Other inconveniances could be the simple impracticality of writing in a small book. If you lead a busy life and read on the train as a filler, summoning a writing tool from your bag presents problems of its own.

But these quabbles are minor and far underweigh the results that can be achieved when you make a commitment to your speed reading abilities.

10 Days to Faster Reading does something that I'm not familiar with in most other business books. Abby Marks Beale has created a course in which you can benefit on various levels. Logically, you can read the book and glean information that you will put into practice immediately. Or, if you really want your money's worth, you can get a pen or pencil, ideally pencil, and work your way through facts and figures, nail biting time trials and thhe occasional laugh over 10 days. (Saving hundreds, if not, thousands on what a workshop would cost) All the while benchmarking every increment of change in your performance.

It's now time to hone my concentration levels with the ironing. 10 days, however, might be pushing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 May 2011
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
This book does exactly what the title says. i'm an older student and have just returned to study after 20yrs and also have dislexia. The amount of reading was a real problem but this book has got me reading alot faster and without loosing comprehension. A must if your studying

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent tips wasted by puerile writing, 28 Sep 2012
Steven Brown (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)

If you think the paragraph above is useful, and helps you understand the concept of reading faster, get this book.

If, on the other hand, you think the paragraph is stupid, as you can understand basic concepts without it being explained by a car analogy, then do not buy this book.

It has a few good tips interspersed with 90% filler - and even then, it's a very short book. As I said above, I could barely read it, due to each chapter starting with about 2 pages worth of the aforementioned car metaphor.

It's also filled with other nonsense - for example, goes on a complete meander about your personal time management - I nearly dropped the book in the bin when it recommended that I use "Google or Yahoo as they give better search results, and you'll save time by using them". Yes, that golden nugget of information is actually in here!

Saved from a 1 star rating as some of the tips are definitely quite good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver for PhD students! (Or masters!), 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
Best 10 day prep for grad-school or even college...could be useful to a highschool student, but only if they're willing to do the work and not looking for an easy way out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful information, shame about the packaging, 3 July 2012
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
First things first, this book does offer some useful techniques for speeding up reading, and I can see that being talked through it, in a structured way, is helpful. My own reading has become more effective using the techniques outlined in the book.

Unfortunately, it is also quite badly written. Leaving aside the (understandable) focus on the American market, it uses far more words than it needs to and I spent quite a lot of time thinking that the quickest way to absorb the information is to ignore about half the text. The techniques offered, and the means of testing them, are very valuable, but the poor analogies really don't help the process. It is ironic that a book about increasing your ability to absorb information should be so bad at presenting it...

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful advice that is poorly expressed, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: 10 Days to Faster Reading (Paperback)
There is no doubt that this book contains some useful advice and techniques but the style used is infantile. It seems that the author assumes the target audience can only understand general principles when expressed through childish metaphors (reading is like driving a car) which are used with excessive enthusiasm. This book should be a lot shorter and more straightforward but the metaphorical framework extends some basic ideas and the result is "butter scraped over too much bread". The style is extremely repetitive, tedious and stupid or condescending. If you can tolerate the acute stylistic infelicities, then there is some value to be derived from this book. Otherwise try something else. Tony Buzzan's books are irritating to be sure but are far less condescending.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xac3658b8)

10 Days to Faster Reading
10 Days to Faster Reading by Abby Marks-Beale (Paperback - 15 Jun 2004)
7.21