Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2001
I was a little unsure when I bought this as to just how much of the book I would get through, being bored and burned by similar books in the past. However, I was pleasantly surprised - this is not like the previous "Sisters Unite" books I had read in the past. I flew through this on a weekend away and had a good giggle along the way. I even read some paragraphs out to my other half who managed to raise a smirk.
Lots of simple, smart advice regarding how to get what you want as a female and how to avoid being walked all over (I realised I was actually being walked over a lot more than I thought).
I have to admit that I did skip the odd page here and there when it felt like the author had already made her point but yet just kept pushing it. But generally a light hearted, entertaining view on how we girls sometimes let ourselves down, with some solid, practical advice thrown in that tends to stick with you.
on 26 October 2010
This book is just what I needed. Gilman gives advice on how to be an empowered and strong woman in a practical way and also gave me perspective on ridiculous and infuriating situations by seeing the funny side. She also tells you the truth about things like why women get paid less and the best way to avoid having that happen to you. A smart, honest and witty book that every woman should own.
on 20 October 2001
This was just what I needed - extremely funny look at the ridiculousness of some things us women buy into, eg. looks are more important than brains/heart etc.. Every woman should read it - stirs you up whilst making you laff. Good practical advice too and very easy to read.
on 11 August 2003
Smart-Mouthed Goddesses are what we are known as in the book. And Susan Jane Gilman's point is to help us stop getting walked over, get a better pay-packet and stop the idiots trying to ruin us. She is so right.
What can I say? She is so funny and so true! Great laugh and very political in places, but what the heck, it covers everything with great chapter titles - from love (One Idiot We Spend Less Time With Is One Idiot We Don't Spend Time Marrying), religion (Give Us Some Of That Ole Time Religion - So We Can Clobber Sanctious Morons With It), even careers (We Don't Shape History By Shaping Our Thighs)!
Susan Jane Gilman proves a very good point.
Gilman rocks - and her Grandma too (who was the basis for many of the quotes in this book and sounded like a really cool gal too) - well done girl!
Let's hope she writes some more.
on 30 October 2015
A real let dpwn expected better from this writer