4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read!
Well, another Kitty novel and another incredibly entertaining read! Yet after the first two, I expected no less from Carrie Vaughn's newest installment.

Published on 17 April 2007 by Patrick St-Denis

3.0 out of 5 stars Carries weakest so far
Published on 7 July 2008 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read!, 17 April 2007
Patrick St-Denis "editor of Pat's Fantasy Hot... (Laval, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitty Takes A Holiday (Kitty Norville) (Mass Market Paperback)

Following the traumatic events of Kitty Goes to Washington, our favorite werewolf/radio host needs some well-deserved time off from everything. Retreating to a mountain cabin in Colorado, Kitty hopes to recuperate, both physically and emotionally, and to write her memoirs. But with her uncanny ability to attract trouble wherever she goes, Kitty soon discovers that someone cursed her, leaving animal sacrifices on her front porch. Before long, Kitty will find herself in danger yet again.

The story, as was the case with its two predecessors, is told in the first person. I relished this new opportunity to get into Kitty's head and was not disappointed. Carrie Vaughn has created a very real and complex young lady. Kitty's vulnerabilities make her an extremely genuine person, no different from most girls out there. The lycanthropy notwithstanding, of course! Kitty Norville is so genuine that, even though this series contains vampires, werewolves, and other creatures of the night, Vaughn weaves it all together and create an unmistakably "human" tale.

New character development makes this book an even more satisfying reading experience. Revelations about both Cormac and Ben O'Farrell add another layer to the characterization.

Once again, the pace is crisp, keeping you turning those pages. The main problem with the Kitty novels is that they end too rapidly! And although Kitty Takes a Holiday is the third one, the series remains fresh and intriguing.

Fun, fast-paced, engaging and entertaining, Kitty Takes a Holiday should not disappoint fans of the series thus far.

[...].

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sanity Saver and a Plain-Old Good Read, 2 July 2007
Let me start off by prefacing that in an airport, where one is the required two hours early for departure and inherits an additional rascally three-hour delay in said departure, one desperately needs an escape. Five hours literally flew by when I cracked the pages of this book. That, in a nutshell, made it a spectacular read. Engrossing, witty and packed with characters a reader can sink their literary teeth into is the slightly longer version, but gives one an even better idea of all this book has to offer.

Kitty Norville needs a break. Going national about her furry side isn't the only reason. She's got a writing gig now too and a secluded mountain cabin seems the ideal retreat. Having a severe case of writer's block though, Kitty is distracted to say the least...especially when dead animals keep showing up to decorate her front porch. The locals are nice enough, though not particularly keen to have the nation's first werewolf at their doorsteps. Naturally, it seems someone wants her gone. When Cormac, werewolf hunter extraordinaire, shows up with an injured Ben (her lawyer) in tow, it's all Kitty can do to hold down the fort, much less write about it. Witchcraft and evil skin walkers compound the situation and Kitty begins to wonder if any of them will get out of this alive, much less walk the right side of the law.

Having never read the series before, I was prepared to be a little lost. Surprisingly, and pleasantly enough, I was glad to read a book that made sense from its own perspective while still gleaning enough information about the past two books (Kitty and the Midnight hour first, then Kitty Goes to Washington) to want to double back. Kitty is an interesting character, and her special twist, that of the first werewolf to exit the closet, puts a whole new perspective on the werewolf story. Being that the story takes place mainly at the cabin, I was also prepared for the story to get a little stale, but not so. There's plenty of action to keep readers turning the pages. There's a slight romantic edge, and I suspect a carryover from past books with one of the characters, though it's not the main focus of this primarily fantasy minded novel. I'm glad I had this book with me during my stay at the airport. Not only did it save my sanity, but it made me laugh, made me chew my lips in suspense and made me an all out fan of Vaughn's first person writing. Looking forward to the others in the series now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third book in the series - still a great read!, 4 April 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The two previous Kitty stories ("Kitty And The Midnight Hour" and "Kitty Goes To Washington") were great reads - fun, fresh, light and yet with serious aspects, an amusing tale of a young woman who becomes a werewolf and tries to find her place in the pack and in the world.

"Kitty Takes A Holiday", whilst equally good, goes in a slightly different direction. The previous books have focused initially on her radio station and then on her appearance before the senate, with most of the focus on Kitty and her actions. In this story Kitty is more passive - she is taking a break at a cabin in the middle of nowhere trying to write a book but strange things start to happen. Is she being cursed? Because of her notoriety she is recognised by the locals, some of whom fear her and some try to be kind. But she knows someone doesn't want her there and is trying to frighten her away and the police are hopeless. Then Cormac (the werewolf and vampire hunter) and Ben (her lawyer) arrive at the cabin; Ben has been bitten by a werewolf and Kitty needs to look after him and help him through the transition.

The previous books have shown some attraction between Cormac and Kitty and in this story we learn a lot more about that, as well as about Ben, Cormac and Ben's histories, and even Cormac's semi-psychotic nature. Kitty is growing up more and more as this series continues - now she's having to function as an Alpha to Ben as he learns about being a werewolf. Most of the action seems to be taking place between these three and it allows more characterisation than has previously been evident in the books. We also learn of a new supernatural creature and Kitty, Cormac and Ben find themselves up against something dark, evil and difficult to understand.

My only real disappointment with this book was that it didn't seem to have an obvious resolution at the end - there were a number of loose ends which lead on to the next book ("Kitty And The Silver Bullet"), not only in terms of Kitty's relationship with Ben and Cormac, with Cormac's future but also with any long-term effects of the curse that they experienced in this book. Still it was a great read, very fast-moving and interesting and continuing the great characters introduced in previous books and it's one I can recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitty's Third Adventure, 17 April 2009
Why the author chose such juvenile titles for this series of books I have no idea, they do not read like they were aimed at the young adult market.

Kitty takes a break from her normal routine and radio show after her change into a werewolf is shown on national tv without her permission. Despite her notoriety her friends and family stay supportive.

She hides away in a remote part of Colorado however it is not long before trouble and witchcraft find her. The main story was nicely paced and exciting while at the same time we find out more about the history and character of her friends Ben and Cormac.

I now look forward to reading Kitty's next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great adventure for Kitty and a really good read, 30 Dec 2006
Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover from getting caught turning into a wolf on national television. She's taking a break from her radio show, The Midnight Hour, and is struggling with writers block as she tries to write her memoirs. Then the peace and quiet of the mountains is disturbed when Kitty finds animal remains on her porch and signs that she is being cursed. Then the werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with Ben O'Farrell, and a problem that neither Cormac or Ben is ready to deal with. As the night of the full moon draws nearer, a creature with glowing red eyes starts to stalk the cabin....

This is an excellent story, that I really enjoyed. It's a welcome addition to Carrie Vaughn's Kitty stories, and a very good read. It's funny, entertaining, and I can't wait to read Kitty's next adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars best so far, 27 Mar 2010
You know, I quite liked this one. Definitely more than the second one and infinitely more than the first one. One review called it "humorous easy-going chick lit with a paranormal twist" and I suppose that's just what it was. I liked this one for two reasons mainly, I like Ben and I liked all the native american magic/skinwalker stuff. I also like the narrator - Marguerite Gavin - she does a really good job with these book. She also narrates the The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best In Series So Far, 12 Oct 2011
"Kitty Takes A Holiday" is my favourite book in the series so far. It's really action packed and I feel that Kitty is ever so slowly (emphasis on slowly) moving towards being an independent, strong woman.

Kitty takes some time away from her call-in radio show, The Midnight Hour, to relax and try and write her memoirs - as Kitty is quite young and has only been a werewolf for a couple of years, I thought this was a bit premature - but she buys a little cabin in the middle of nowhere and of course it ends up being the holiday from hell.

Kitty is terrorised by an unknown entity who is cursing her with dead animals which they leave on her doorstep or hanging from tree branches. I must say I was rather surprised that this frightened Kitty so much, considering she's a big bad werewolf an' all. In the first book, 'Kitty and the Midnight Hour', her life was threatened by Cormac, a werewolf hunter, live on her radio talk-show and she really didn't bat an eye.

There is a little inconsistency with Kitty's character as she's very submissive and yet can be dominant at the same time. She cowers from certain people only to then throw herself into danger. She's also dominant sexually, which doesn't add up with her submissive nature as a werewolf. Kitty is a bit of a paradox.

But as with the two preceding books I can't help but like her. She's quite sassy in her own way and I am liking her more with each book.

There's also a bit of a shift regarding the romantic dynamics. I'm not sure I like where Kitty is going romantically but it was definitely a twist I didn't see coming. There's also one character who gets bitten and is now a werewolf, which Kitty has adopted and has taken on as her 'pack'.

I loved seeing the caring side of Kitty. She has a lot of compassion and as she only knows too well, being turned is hard enough, but being turned against your will is almost soul destroying. But Kitty steps up to the plate and is there through the entire process and I liked her all the more for it.

This third instalment is a fast read and a really good addition to the series. I love that Cormac is still very much part of Kitty's life, even though it's not in the way I want it to be. The author writes great action and it's really this that keeps me turning the pages.

VERDICT:

Overall "Kitty Takes a Holiday" is a really great read; exciting, full of action and brimming with lively and interesting personalities. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next in store for Ms Norville in 'Kitty and the Silver Bullet'.

4.0 out of 5 stars urban fantasy, 13 Nov 2010
I enjoyed the well-written character development between Kitty and her three-person quasi-pack. Vaughn has a quick, dialogue-heavy writing style that I'm appreciating more and more in authors and has the added bonus of making novels quick to read, even for notoriously-slow me.Cormac is slowly becoming my new favorite novel hero, though I'm kinda disappointed that he's not a werewolf. The tension between him and Kitty becomes more relevant but then goes unresolved, which is annoying. That relationship alone is probably enough to get me to read the next book. In general, Kitty's romantic relationships are more interestingly played out in this book, and far more gripping than her fling with the were-jaguar in her last adventure.
This book has some weird pacing. About 2/3 through, most of the plot has been resolved leaving only one mystery for Kitty and Ben to sort through (sadly sans Cormac, though explaining why would give most the plot away).
Aside from the interesting new mystery that "Kitty Takes a Holiday" presents, I did enjoy the subplot of Kitty struggling to write her memoirs and dealing with her new-founded fame. She's a pretty easy character to relate to, even though sometimes I feel she's been too simplified.
I think I like best the down-to-earth tone of the series, which allows its various supernatural elements to feel like realities. Vaughn doesn't try to play up the possible drama of a courtroom scenes, for example, but rather calls them out for the boring, legalistic processionals that they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty takes a Holiday, 26 Sep 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Kitty takes a Holiday is the third book in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. This book was full of action and had a plot twist that I didn't see coming.

Kitty has decided to take a holiday from the radio show `The Midnight Hour' and from being the official spokesperson for the supernatural. She has holed herself in a nice cabin in the woods which suits her wolf's needs and her human need for personal space from the outside world. But things don't remain tranquil for very long. Soon someone starts targeting Kitty by leaving dead animals on her doorstep and curses her.

I was quite impressed with Kitty's character in this book as she has to start caring for someone who has been infected by lyncanthropy. She isn't a lone wolf anymore, she now has a pack member to look after. I certainly didn't expect the story to end how it did but I am not itching to read the next book in the series to find out how Kitty sorts it all out. Lawyer, Ben, and supernatural assassins', Cormac, history becomes known after they spend some time with Kitty.

I think the story was very well written and the information flowed relatively smoothly. The action scenes were full on and I sometimes wondered if the characters and our heroine would come out alive.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and have enjoyed the series so far. I can't wait to read the next book in the series and find out what Kitty gets up to next.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book, everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Carries weakest so far, 7 July 2008
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Whilst everyone enjoys a series this for me was Carries, weakest book so far, whilst the characterisations were cracking as usual, I did feel that something was missing and that the ball was dropped a little towards the end through what came across as a pointless chase and rather than proving something for the reader it left me feeling a bit depressed. Whether this was intentional or not I don't know but all I do know as I was a quite upset with it as if it were a rushed ending just to get it in for the deadline. I will continue to read Carries work as I love what she's done and will still eagerly rip the envelope to get the next story to land but with the way this tale ended I'm just hoping that I'll be disappointed. Having spoken to Carrie as well as having heard about the next couple of books I don't think I will be but that niggling doubt, however small, is still there.

Kitty Takes A Holiday (Kitty Norville)
Kitty Takes A Holiday (Kitty Norville) by Carrie Vaughn (Mass Market Paperback - 5 July 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01