on 9 July 2007
" Dear Mom,

I might be a wee bit late for Cousin Missy's wedding. It's been a tough week. Turns out, my blind date from hell was literally from hell. Guy bit me. Next thing I know, I am being chased all over the city by vampire hunters. And did I mention that I got fires, too?
Bright side - I met a man. Thierry de Bennicoeur. How great is that name? Anyway, he's sexy, six hundred years old, and a tad suicidal, but no one's perfect, right? And we have a deal - he's gonna show me the ropes of the vampire world, and I am supposed to help him end his existence. Ot maybe I'll just try to convince him life is worth living - no most challenge with the mostly immortal, let me tell you. I'll admit, it's a complicated relationship. But with any luck, I just might have a date for that wedding after all.

Hugs and kisses,
Sarah "

This was my very first Michelle Rowen book, and I am definitely glad I gave it a shot.
From the very first page, she earns the reader's complete and undivided attention. The story starts with Sara waking up to her date burying her in the cold ground, and just a little later on finds out that her blind date is a vampire and she has been bitten. She manages to temporarily escape her "date", and runs in to a group of guys, asking them for help. But she end us needing help to escape those friendly fellas.....
They story is utterly captivating and fun. The heroine is very easy-going and she made me wonder numerous of times, if it is actually possible to keep such a cold head under such "disturbing" circumstances. I enjoyed reading this book immensely, and would definitely recommend it to paranormal romance/mystery fans !!!
buy it, read it, enjoy it :)
on 21 August 2010
I seem to be addicted to vampire stories lately. This one is another light, funny read.
Sarah Dearly has absolutely no good luck. After a blind date she wakes up to find her date burying her in a cemetery, having just changed her into a vampire. The next day she goes into work and has a meeting with her boss who unfortunately gives herself a papercut. Of course Sarah just can't resist having a suck on her employer's finger, leading to her being sacked for sexual harassment! Some of the scenes in this book seem to have been written more for the laughs than to actually move the plot along, but they are hilarious!
I found all the characters to be likeable. Sarah's sassy personality is definitely a stand-out and so is Quinn, the vampire hunter's. Thierry, though, (How on earth do you pronounce that name!?!? [No offense intended to all the Thierry's out there) wasn't all that interesting, to be honest. Maybe it was Rowen's way of displaying his depression but he showed no real emotion.
The romance between Sarah and Thierry was underdeveloped. This book is classified as a paranormal romance novel, but the romance was definitely lacking. Maybe it develops more in the next books in the series.
Overall, this book is definitely an enjoyable read, but nothing special. I'm still definitely planning on reading the rest of the books in the series! I rate Bitten & Smitten at 3 and a 1/2 stars out of 5. I recommend it to lovers of fantasy, vampire stories and just generally funny books. [While this book contained no unsuitable content, this is an adult series so later books in the series may, just warning you.
on 1 May 2006
I stumbled upon this authour by chance and thank god I did, She has managed to make the character of Sarah very comical and endearing, and the hero Thierry a like-able rogue. I cant wait for the next book by Michelle as she has made an excellent start and had me in the book from the first page. An author definatley one to look out for in the future, I've already pre ordered her next book.
on 14 February 2010
I bought this book when it appeared in my Amazon recommends list and it definitely sounded like it would be my cup of tea. I sort of enjoyed reading it but, by the end, I felt strangely unsatisfied and a bit disappointed.
The story centres on Sarah who is turned by a vampire on a blind date. She ends up being chased by vampire hunters almost immediately and comes across Thierry, an ancient vampire, who is contemplating suicide. Sarah persuades him to rescue you her from the hunters and the story continues with them striking a deal that if he will "train her up" in the vampire lifestyle, she will help him to meet his end.

The characters are likeable enough. Sarah is fiesty and independent and Thierry is dark, brooding and yet appealing, just what you want in this genre of book. The problem I think, is that the book doesn't quite live up to being a funny, modern paranormal romance. Firstly, it's not funny enough, more mildly amusing. Secondly, while the sexual tension is present, there is not enough "resolving" if you know what I mean. I'm not looking for a total raunch-fest, but you do expect a little something! I bought the first two books together so I will give the second one a go.

So, although I wouldn't steer anyone away from reading this book, because it's not an unpleasant experience to read it, I would suggest alternatives. Try Michelle Bardsley's Broken Heart series, Gerry Bartlett's Glory St.Clair series, MaryJanice Davison's Queen Betsy series or Tate Hallaway's Garnet Lacey series before you plump for this. They are much funnier, sexier and just generally more satisfying to read.
on 27 September 2011
I was in the mood to try out some new-to-me adult urban fantasy, and so picked up Bitten and Smitten from my TBR pile, expecting a lot of action and possibly some romance. But got a lot more than I expected. Not only is this a really good book, but it's funny!

Sarah is your normal fashion-concious young woman. Her money is gone before she's even earnt it, spent on those gorgeous new shoes, or that to-die-for dress. Her life is pretty much based on earning money so she can buy material things, going on the odd date, but little else. And then this extremely sarcastic and seemingly shallow woman is turned into a vampire. Life stops being simple when you accidentally start sucking on your female boss' bloody papercut finger. Yeah, not good.

There is your fair amount of action in ths novel, but because Sarah is so new to being a vampire - to the point she didn't even actually believe they existed, so thought she was surrounded by nutjobs for the first 24 hours - that a lot of it is trying to survive without knowing how to fight, and involves a lot of running. When vampire hunters are hot on your tail and you're own your own, there's not much else to do.

It wouldn't be so bad if the vampire who said he'd help, Thierry, actually did more than look down on her and actually help her. But... this is a vampire who actually wants to die, can she really expect much help from him? Even if he is gorgeous, he's frustrating.

But there's more than just shallowness and running in this book. There is a plot. Someone is selling information from the inside and the vamps are in danger. Serious danger. The vampire hunters are slowing burning down all the vampire clubs in town, and they're getting closer.

It's not the most brilliant book going, but it's good for a laugh. There could have been more to the romance element, but there is still excitement and edge-of-yuour-seat suspence, but the real focus is put on the humour, an so it seems lighter. If there ever was an urban fantasy beach read, this would be it. I loved it, and I'm so excited to read the next in the series, Fanged and Fabulous.
on 12 May 2011
So readable- Sarah Dearly is a great feisty character, and the sexy Thierry- OMG you so would want to date him so dark and sexy and mysterious and then there are the vampire hunters who think all vampires are nasty blood sucking monsters- and what with Sarah newly turned she goes out walks into a hunters bar.

If you enjoy TrueBlood and love vamps you will love this- me read this and book 2 and ordering book 3 now. Sexy vamps, feisty characters
on 17 March 2012
I bought this book in the hope it was decent. I have bought a few vampire books and some have been brilliant whilst others have been a waste of money. However, fromt he very first page I was addicted to this book. Our main character Sarah wakes up in a very odd situation....being buried by her blind date, everything that follows is fast paced and to be honest is really quite funny (when its not you its happening to).

I think Michelle has a great way of combining a great story with a dark humour. I was laughing throughout this book, although left feeling sorry for Sarah, I also could not help but laugh at the situations she found herself in, the letter she writes to her mom found on the back of the book is a perfect example of the humour in this book.

I was so impressed, as soon as I had finished I was on here buying the next two.
on 13 November 2010
I chose this book after running out of things to read and waiting for another order to come through. I don't know if its because I read a lot of vampire stories but this one didn't really cut the mustard. I couldn't decide if the author was trying to make the book into a tongue in cheek comedy or not and I found the story took a long time to get to where it was heading. I even skipped quite a few pages to see if things improved (they didn't). I'm not sure but I have a feeling this book may be aimed at a younger audience than me. I would say if you're over the age of 30 and looking for a good vampire read which is both funny and has a good story to it then go with the Sookie Stackhouse or The Chicagoland Vampire series.
on 8 May 2012
This book starts off relatively good, with a good pace but as the pages turn, it losts its charm. The story line was merely for teenagers, anyone above the age 21 'might' find it boring and unexciting.
on 11 May 2011
I agree with some of the previous reviews in that this book just didn't deliver much of anything. It's not funny or sexy enough, the action is lacking and the relationships and character interactions aren't engrossing. Compared to other books in the same/similar genre/s it doesn't compare well, harsh as it sounds Rowen seems somehow to have managed to make vampires boring...
If you want something that offers more in all respects you'd do well to check out the awesome Charlaine Harris, Jeaniene Frost, Richelle Mead, Molly Harper and Chloe Neill, now those ladies *really* know how to spin a story!