5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to "Kitty And The Midnight Hour"
This book is the follow up to the wonderful "Kitty And The Midnight Hour" featuring a young werewolf who has a midnight talk radio show. In the first book Kitty found herself growing up and eventually had to leave her pack and go on the road when she felt they let her down.

Published on 27 Mar. 2007 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars much better than the first one!
Published on 27 Mar. 2010 by Green Book Addict Librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to "Kitty And The Midnight Hour", 27 Mar. 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kitty Goes To Washington (Mass Market Paperback)

"Kitty Goes To Washington" starts a month after those events when Kitty is called to testify to a senate hearing on werewolves and vampires. She arrives in Washington and spends some time as a tourist, and alongside the usual American monuments and museums she visits a Werewolf bar (where she meets the rather lovely were-jaguar Luis) and the vampire Mistress of the City, Alette, with her sidekick Leo.

However, whilst waiting to be called to testify, Kitty finds herself investigating the Rev Elijah Wood's church, breaking into a US facility with Cormac and interviewing a former Nazi werewolf. And time time for her testimony is becoming dangerously close to the full moon.

As in the former book, this is a really good fun read with some fast pacing, some interesting vignettes into werewolf life, a little love interest and a lot of amusing plot. Kitty is a great character with a winsome naivete but with a streak of iron through her too.

As an English reader I noticed a classic American mistake; Alette and Leo apparently have a "British Accent"; of course there is no such thing - there's English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish and others as well but "British" can't refer overall to one accent. Still I got the message - that they probably seem like your traditional film villain because of that accent. It also became very clear that Carrie Vaughn is a bit of a tourist herself with some very gushing descriptions of Kitty's time looking round Washington.

"Kitty Goes To Washington" doesn't have complete backstory so those who haven't read the first book might not get all the nuances, particularly with regard to why Kitty left her pack. There are more supernatural creatures in this book than the previous but it isn't overloaded with them like some urban fantasies these days.

Carrie Vaughn sticks to all the traditional tropes for this genre - vampires being allergic to garlic, werewolves to silver, etc - but she infuses her own interpretation on what it might be like to be one of these creatures. I liked the way that we see into Kitty's head, we follow her trying to rationalise her situation, to see the good in it and to help others see some possible benefits of their status as different from normal humans. I've made it sound a bit philosophical which it isn't, it's just a fun book with a possible deeper message in there for those who want to look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow on to the original, 12 July 2006
This review is from: Kitty Goes To Washington (Mass Market Paperback)
I discovered Kitty And The Midnight Hour quite by chance and I was keen to get the sequel. It is not a disappointment. The book is as refreshing and fun as the first in the series and apparently there's third one due Spring 2007. I like the perspective of the main character and her attitude is much lighter than what you might find in the Anita Blake or Merry Gentry series of books by Hamilton. The light style and the reflective humour of the character makes a change from other lycanthrope stories. This is well worth the read even as a stand alone without the original book. I'd be very surprised if anyone would be disappointed by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty Goes to Washington, 29 Jun. 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kitty Goes To Washington (Mass Market Paperback)
Kitty Goes to Washington is the second book in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. This book is full of mystery, fun and death. What good book doesn't' have these elements?

Kitty is currently hosting her talk show in many locations as she left her pack, who also run her out of town, in Denver. This is the first time hat Kitty has been on her own since becoming a werewolf. The pack gave her the feeling of family, stability and made her feel safe. Now she is out in the big old bad world by herself. Trouble seems to follow Kitty wherever she goes, although this time she was subpoenaed into it. She has to go Washington D.C. to testify to a committee on the subject of paranatural biology.

During her stint in D.C. Kitty meets some interesting characters. First there is the scientist called Dr. Paul Flemming, the Mistress of the local vampires, Alette, a werejaguar named Luis who is also Kitty's love interest of the week, a werewolf named Ahmed who owns a very special club called Crescent that has a very unique and restricted clientele and a psychic called Jeffrey Miles who can see people's auras and speak to dead people.

Some mysteries unfurl in this book. We find out who Elijah Smith is. The scientist's hidden agenda is unveiled. A vampire's underhandedness is found out but he causes a trail of destruction behind him before his maker finds out. Also, we find out more about Cormac and Ben and how they came to know one another.

My favourite part of the book was when Kitty, Jeffrey and a news reporter, Roger Stockton, go on a reconnaissance mission to find out more about Elijah Smith. They get more than they bargained for and come up against a horde of vampires and werewolves. This is how we find out who Elijah Smith really is and then we get to see Kitty get her hands dirty with help from her comrades.

I think there is more to come of Kitty in this series. She is only just beginning to develop as a character. In the first book she was finding her feet and beginning to stand up for herself. In this book she is standing up for others who are not known to the humans. These creatures keep themselves to themselves and they have let Kitty speak for them - not that she had much choice in the matter. But Kitty does the job in a business-like and graceful manner. Kitty is just beginning to breach the surface of her potential as a radio DJ with her talk show. She has a lot more talent that I think we have yet to see.

Overall, I enjoyed this book even thought I couldn't read it as often as I wished so when I picked it up I did get a bit confused as to where I was. Once I found my place I was able to enjoy the adventures that Kitty was on. I liked the fact that she found others like herself and felt like she was part of something and that she wasn't just the lone wolf.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A werewolf in Washington, 7 Jun. 2009
EA Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Let's be honest here -- if all werewolves, vampires and other such were revealed to the world, the repercussions would be extreme in every area of society.

But not many urban fantasy authors bother to deal with that part of the story, because it's much harder than werewolf packs or vampire politics. But Carrie Vaughn give it a fair shot in "Kitty Goes to Washington," a smart, tense little urban fantasy that takes our werewolf heroine into government conspiracies and vampire takeovers.

Kitty is subpoenaed by the Senate, to appear at a special hearing examining the existence of weres, vampires, and other supernatural creatures. Apparently she's representing... all of them, as some sort of expert.

But her arrival causes a stir in more than the Senate, where the existence, nature and danger of supernaturals is being hotly debated. She starts exploring Washington's lyncanthrope population (including a very sexy werejaguar), and is taken under the wing of the city's vampire, Alette (although Kitty can't quite bring herself to trust her).

Unfortunately Kitty has a Bible-thumping fanatical senator determined to destroy her, the eerie faith healer Elijah Smith, and a mysterious scientist who might be willing to do ANYTHING for funding. And after Kitty deals with the mystery of Smith's "church," she finds herself at the mercy of men who want to reveal what she is to the world... and they're not terribly picky about how they do it.

One of the things that sets Carrie Vaughn's books apart is her heroine. In a genre full of leather-clad, gun-waving, sex-mad, heartily obnoxious superwomen, it's nice to occasionally see a heroine who is smart, courageous, stable, humble and more inclined to use her brains than a knife or gun. In other words, no AnitaBlakeitis here.

In fact, Vaughn even takes a few teasing pokes at the genre's cliches ("Vast halls filled with pouty Eurotrash vampires -- yeah, that was the image"), and some of the myriad werecreatures that populate other books (a guy inquiring about werealpacas).

And though a story about a series of Senate hearings sounds dull, she manages to convincingly show the societal ripples that supernatural creatures would cause, and the questions they would raise. Not to mention the fanatical wackos (like Duke) they would enrage. The subplots are what generate more excitement -- breaking into a government lab with Cormac, dealing with vampire schemes, and trying to figure out who's a friend and who's a foe.

But the story takes a darker, nastier turn about two thirds of the way through, when Kitty confronts the malignant Elijah Smith, gets trapped on live TV during the full moon, and faces off against a nasty usurping vampire. The clash with Smith goes by too quickly -- seriously, is that all it takes? -- but otherwise it's a nice, tightly-written swirl of conspiracies and crime.

"Kitty Goes To Washington" is a smart look at what would hapen if vampires and weres not only existed, but were outed to normal human society. Humorous, dark and tightly-written.

3.0 out of 5 stars much better than the first one!, 27 Mar. 2010
Nothing much to say about this book, I'm tired, but it was ok and it was definitely much better than the first one that I read a few years back. Gave this one a try since a friend said it was worth it, and also because it has the same narrator as Black Magic Sanction (Marguerite Gavin) and I quite liked her. Took me a while to remember stuff that had gone on in the first book since it's been a few years, but then it all fell into place again. At least there were some answers about Rev Smith that seemed to be left hanging at the end of the first book. I couldn't remember Ben or Cormac at first but eventually I remembered who Cormac was but still can't remember Ben from book one lol (of course I hated the first book so that's understandable). The story was OK, she didn't do anything outrageous like fight an alpha or anything. She did do something kinda stupid in that she jumped into the sack with the first were Jaguar she met. Literally she heard the words "were jaguar" and she was ready to go, and it was dumb because she was in a strange city, being protected by a vamp against possible danger, and she runs off to sleep with a strange lycanthrope. Yeah it was ok though, and very quick read - started it yesterday and finished it today, probably about 8 hours of audio.

Book reviewed 4 March 2010 on blog

4.0 out of 5 stars intelligent, engaging, and sexy, 13 Nov. 2010
Miraculously, everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - that annoyed me in the first book was fixed. It seems to me that Carrie Vaughn decided to take herself a whole lot less seriously, and it worked wonders for the Kitty Norville series.
The concept of a supernatural talk-show radio host isn't exactly unique (there's a vampire radio station that plays at Fangtasia in Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series) but a plotline that revolves around the host itself is. At least to me, anyway.
In KGtW, Ms. Vaughn takes such a REALISTIC approach in how humans might react to suddenly finding out that all the legends are true. You've got your right-wing religious nuts who are convinced that all immortals are Spawns of Satan and about as eligible for your basic Constitutional rights as the family dog. You've got your military leaders that want to harness their powers for biowarfare.
This is one of the few paranormal romances that I have read that manages to be intelligent, engaging, and sexy, all in one pitch. I went into this book with low expectations. By the time I was at page 20, I was hooked. Hopelessly. If the first book in the series turned you off, give it another shot with Kitty Goes to Washington

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow On keeps up the success, 7 July 2008
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kitty Goes To Washington (Mass Market Paperback)
The Second novel in Carries Supernatural series and one that now that we've been introduced properly in book one, really doesn't pull any punches as the tale unwinds. Elements that were floating round in the first novel come back to haunt this second allowing for a bigger picture as well as allowing us to explore the world further.

Idealistic, entertaining and above all a pleasurable way to burn up sometime I'd recommend that you get a bottle of your favourite drink in as you're going to have a hard time putting this novel down. Great stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read but poor proof reading, 15 Mar. 2015
K (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I have recently, yesterday in fact, begun reading this series and have just finished book 3.
This series has an entertaining plot and interesting characters.
Kitty Norville is a girl who has been made a victim twice on the same night and has been suffering a lack of confidence in herself until recently. She has begun to hope and begun to believe in herself again.
I enjoy how her character has developed from insecure and whiney to believing that it is possible for others to be wrong and for her to be right. Mix all that with being a werewolf, dangerous meetings with the fae and vampires, not to mention the humans, and it makes for a really good read.
I would have loved to have given this book 5 stars but (and a big BUT) some of the proof reading/editing was appalling. At a guess I would say someone scanned writing in and used text recognition to turn this into a word document. Double 'l's had been written as a variety of letters and at somepoint "over" had used a copyright symbol instead of an 'o'. Then, the worst bit, a character's name kept changing. First, he was called Hemming, then Flemming and then he was referred to as Dr. Renaming.
For me, this detracted from the story and kept taking me away from what was happening as I tried to make sense of the word or checking that I was reading about the character I thought I was. Such a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent story shame about the typos, 20 April 2014
I enjoyed the plot and the characters. Whilst it's not my favourite book in this genre it was an enjoyable read apart from the many typos scattered throughout the book. Whether this is because I bought the kindle version and not the paperback I don't know. Usually I'm not bothered by a few mistakes but there's a lot and they're very obvious eg Fm instead of I'm by the end of the book this started to really irritate me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 14 Aug. 2014
I'm so glad to have had the chance to carry on reading this series.

This book picks up from where the first one left off and kept me gripped.

The only downside I found were grammatical errors, that said it didn't deter from the book too much. I just wonder if the problems come from converting this to Kindle format.

Kitty Goes To Washington
Kitty Goes To Washington by Carrie Vaughn (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Aug. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01