4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully developed characters you care about.
Published on 22 Feb 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable characters in a rather stilted plot
Published on 10 July 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully developed characters you care about., 22 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Having read 'Where the heart is ' I was keen to read other works by Bille Letts. This as I have discovered can some times be a let down especially when you have enjoyed the first book so much. However I am pleased to say that this time it was shear delight . Another beautiful book filled with wonderful characters whose lives you soon become engrossed in. I particularly liked the detailed showed to the characters who although not a major part of the story where made to fit perfectly and added to the overall novel . Although Where the heart is remains my favorite I would recommed this as a close second . Looking forward to the next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as great as the first book, but more enjoyable!, 27 July 1999
By A Customer
I really enjoyed "The Honk and Holler". I was pleasently surprised to find that I like this book better than "Where the Heart Is." The characters were very likeable and you really fell into their lives in their small town. You can identify with at least one character and match the others up with people in your town. This book is not intensely thought provoking nor too serious and drawn out. It wasn't intended to be a book that leaves you questioning the story and feeling depressed. So,if you are looking for a relaxing, easy going, and very entertaining book, this is it!! I love Billie Letts' style and look forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great one for BIllie Letts, 1 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This is exactlythe type of book I love to read. Books about nothing, Nothing in particular. No deep mushy love stories, no great mysteries. You'll laugh out loud. I can't wait for her next book. TWO thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read....Even Aloud, 14 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I simply loved "Where The Heart Is". While in a bookstore in Florida the clerk put "Honk & Holler Opening Soon" in my hands. "Read this", she said. So I bought it. On the way back to Indiana I started reading "Honk & Holler" aloud to my husband as he drove. He wouldn't let me stop reading. The next evening after reaching our destination we finished the book together. This was a first for us both. The "Honk & Holler" is great. We felt as if we had been transported thru time to this small Oklahoma town and we knew each character personally. Congratulations to Billie Letts on another fine, fine book. We can't wait till her next book hits the rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars An evening at the Honk and Holler Opening Soon., 9 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Reading Billie Letts is like that old saying "If I were a fly on the wall." I feel immediately transported to the characters' place and time. They come vividly alive and I don't want to leave them at the end of the book. When the last page is read, it feels as though I am saying good-bye to close friends. Ms. Letts has a way with characters which really makes them come alive. I have eagerly awaited her second novel and am not disappointed. I strongly recommend this book as well as her first book, Where the Heart Is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Characters you can't stop thinking about, 1 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I read Where the Heart Is and liked it so much I quickly ordered this book from the same author. I'm usually disappointed with the 2nd book, feeling they never match up to the first one-- but this one truly did. I really enjoyed the characters in this book-- they are in many ways typical of all of us, in search of a place to belong. But also distinct by their own rights. I found myself thinking about them between times in reading and was always anxious to pick up where I left off and find what had happened next. A highly satisfactory read-- I strongly recommend it. The author had no reason to doubt herselt, as she talks about in the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, interesting use of main character with a disability, 11 July 1998
By A Customer
It's bound to happen, stories using persons with disabilities as main characters. Like most groups who struggle for equality and recognition the first few novels will "force" and "preach". Mr. Letts' story uses the disability of the main character as part of the persons make-up; not the defining characteristic. Disability does impact where he is in life... but not all he is in life...
Sandra Brown's new book is an example of what not to do when developing characters who have disabilities.
I normally don't like "sweet" romance books; however, this one is excellent and get the unabridged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable characters in a rather stilted plot, 10 July 1999
By A Customer
Ms. Letts draws some truly funny, unique characters in this story, and offers a straight look at the workings of a small town diner, but the story really felt like a neatly-tied soap opera. Though I loved the characters, and some of their moments made me laugh out loud, their fates seemed so predictable and cheesy. This is an engrossing book, I read it on a plane, and it kept me occupied and interested. I just wish she had applied some of the originality she found for her characters to the story. They deserved better than the canned, corny ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Ms. Letts has done it again, only better. I could not put this book down. She writes the most vivid characters, you come away feeling you know them so well. Her book is populated with quirky, loveable people, who are just trying to deal with what life has tossed at them. This book made me laugh out loud and brought tears to my eyes. You will think about the Honk and Holler, and the folks that are found there, for a long time. It's just one of those books that stays with you. I look forward to her next book, hope it's soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best books I have read for a good while, 22 July 2014
This review is from: The Honk and Holler Opening Soon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have read for a good while. It is really comical and I warmed to every character. The writer has the gift of making the characters come alive and I was glad I lived with them at the Honk and Holler in Oklahoma for a while. The Opening Soon bit should not have been appended to the bottom of the sign which was a good start for this book which is very funny, very very readable and enjoyable, but with pathos interwoven in the plot. I particularly enjoyed the character Galilee. Oh do read this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Honk and Holler Opening Soon
The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts (Mass Market Paperback - 30 July 2004)
4.75