4.0 out of 5 stars Smelling of Roses, 23 Aug 2003
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stealing the Elf-King's Roses (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd never read anything by Diane Duane before this, but I'm glad I picked this one up. An engaging alternate world scenario has the unique 'hero couple' combination of Lee, a psychic forensic investigator and Gelert, her speaking fey-hound partner who get drawn into a bigger problem when investigating the seemingly routine death of an Alfen living on Lee's world. The alternate worlds exist in the same time and space, and are aware of each other, they have just all evolved slightly differently: unfortunately they've just discovered our world, and the anthropological principle of cultural contamination can work both ways.
Lee and Gelert have to work within the closed, paranoid world of the Alfen - ruled by the Elf-King of the title - to try to find the answers to questions they hardly even understand, in time to avert the death of the Elf-King and the worlds-wide destruction that could well follow.
This is a charming, original story, with likeable characters and a believable premise. Especially commendable in a book with Elves, they may be beautiful, rich and nigh-on immortal, but they aren't all-knowing with the irritating habit of wafting around looking mystical. Overall, a book that I would highly recommend for a light diversion from the day-to-day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lives on the line, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Stealing the Elf-King's Roses (Mass Market Paperback)
Diane Duane has been in the writing business for ages. "Stealing the Elf-King's Roses" is the only book of hers that I have although I have read "So You Want to be a Wizard".

"Stealing the Elf-King's Roses" was relaunched in new clothes in 2011. Diane had felt the need to fix some issues that she had noticed over the years. My book is the original version.

Who among us is able to state honestly that we have no prejudices? I know I cannot. I try not to let those prejudices interfere with the way I treat people I encounter, but I know that at times I have let my feelings shine through. This is the great thing about fantasy and science fiction. The differences between species become blindingly obvious. In this manner the author has the chance to either preach or teach through their writing. Preaching bores me. I expect to be treated as though I am intelligent enough to catch on to the underlying message without having it spelled out for me.

Diane Duane manages to teach us about prejudice without getting on her high horse or behind a pulpit. This is quite difficult to manage I have noticed in the all-too many books I have read. Authors with this ability really need all the acknowledgement they so richly deserve.

Lee Einfeld and Gelert Reh'Mechren are Lanthomancers at Law in a parallel world where psychic abilities are more common that here. The team seeks out psychospoors at crime scenes. The evidence recorded from that is presented in court and through a sort of ceremony Justice comes into the court-room and the defendant is judged.

An Alfen murder comes their way and that murder brings the Lanthomancer team into inter-universe politics. This is a mystery mixed with techno-jargon mixed with political ploys.

"Stealing the Elf-King's Roses" was a fun read. There were some hiccups along the way, but nothing major (might be because I have the older version).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fantasy, 31 Aug 2003
Gytha North (Burntisland, Fife United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stealing the Elf-King's Roses (Mass Market Paperback)
Fantasy mystery, elves and detectives. Well written and a fun read.

Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
Stealing the Elf-King's Roses by Diane Duane (Mass Market Paperback - Nov 2002)