5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 7 April 2001
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book, watching the two main characters fall in love with each other slowly and naturally was wonderful. I also enjoyed the perspective of this story, it is quite unusual to read a romantic novel that it written in first person and even more unusual for that person to be the heroine. I would usually prefer to read third person, but Joan Wolf developed the story so wonderfully that it really suited the story. We still got to know the hero quite well, even though we never heard his thoughts as the heroine knew him inside and out. This is the first book by Joan Wolf that I have read, and once I had finished it I immediately started looking for others. I am sure that I will like them as well as I liked this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Characters - Reeve and Deb Pretend Themselves Straight Into Love, 21 Dec. 2014
Judge Tabor "(JMM)" (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Pretenders (Kindle Edition)
When lifelong friends and neighbors, Reeve (aka known as George Adolphus Lambeth, Earl of Cambridge, Baron Reeve or Ormsby and Baron Thornton of Ware) and Deborah (Deb) Woodly decide to pretend to married so Reeve can receive his inheritance early, they never expect to fall in love.

Although Deb comes from genteel stock, she and her mother survive on a meager income due to having been cast off by family after her father passed. Deborah has anger issues because her half brother, Richard, apparently a wealthy man has never bothered to check up on her and Mrs. Woodly even though he's now a grown man and head of the Woodly family.

Deborah's world has been somewhat limited to her friendship with Reeve, the families in the local parish and Reeve's stable of prime horse flesh which she apparently has carte blanche to ride. Reeve is a very unhappy young man, with a less-than-circumspect reputation and a love of gambling. His parents passed away before he became of age and left him with Lord Bradford as guardian until Reeve reaches the age of 26 or becomes married.

After Reeve loses heavily in the Newmarket races, he asks Deborah to become engaged to him in order to fool Lord Bradford into giving him his inheritance early. Although Deborah is dismayed at the whole idea, she eventually decides she will cooperate in the "pretend" engagement. Her mother is dialed in, doesn't actually agree, but she's crazy over Reeve also. As the reader, I'm thinking that I wouldn't care to back Reeve in his scheming, since he just lost 60,000 pounds on a horse race. So, this storyline is a bit unusual to say the least.

Eventually, everyone winds up at Lord Bradford's home at a house party where we begin to learn some troublesome things about the family members. Reeve has some sorrow in his past that contribute to his wayward ways, Lord Bradford and Deb's mama soon show all the signs of falling into love, Deb's half-brother Richard shows up unexpectedly and apparently, there's way more to the story about how and why he neglected Deb and Mrs. Woodly. Then, there's Richard, Lord Bradford's eldest son, who absolutely hates Reeve and soon becomes a danger to everyone's happiness.

In this environment, Reeve begins to see his childhood friend in a totally different light and Deb finds out she loves Reeve. They have a very sweet and genuine love relationship with danger and family issues in the background. By no means a perfect storyline - there were some issues relative to the stability of some of the primary characters. Still, I enjoyed reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Romp by Joan Wolf, 4 Jun. 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of Joan Wolf's first person point-of-view romances, but this one is the best. Ms. Wolf takes a standard romantic trope - the sensible woman who nurtures the high-strung, arrogant hero - and gives it a new twist, showing us how both the hero and the heroine benefit from their alliance. Reeve needs Deb's practical social skills; in turn, he helps Deb cope with problems that she doesn't even realize she has.
I see that Ms. Wolf's next book reverts to the familiar third person p-o-v; I hope this is not a permanent change.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Love in This Book Warms the Heart!, 5 April 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Joan Wolf books, and this is one of her greatests!! The hero is this book is so devastatingly handsome and sweet!! The heroin is wonderful..they mesh together perfectly! A job well done Ms.Wolf!

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 27 April 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading 'The Pretenders'. The language is so good, you can see that the author taught English. Interesting twist for romance fiction - narrative from the heroine

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Romp by Joan Wolf, 4 Jun. 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous!, 24 Feb. 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first Joan Wolf novel I have ever read and I couldn't put it down. Smart, funny and VERY well written. (I'm a magazine editor, believe me I know junk when I read it.) Wonderful characters and even better dialogue. The first person narrative is a interesting twist that works very well here. I can't wait to read more of Joan Wolf!

5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid story!, 11 Jan. 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I just love love loved this book! The characters were so real and it was a delight watching them fall in love. Kudos to Wolf.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of her best, 4 Feb. 1999
This review is from: The Pretenders (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Joan Wolf's books and this is one of the best so far I cant wait for the next one.

The Pretenders
The Pretenders by Joan Wolf (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01