Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 11 April 1997
Don't think you'd like a heroine who smokes cigars, cusses like there's no tomorrow, skins mules, and can whip the hero's butt in a fight? Then you obviously haven't read THE PROMISE OF JENNY JONES yet! Breaking all of stereotypes Ms. Osborne creates an untraditional heroine who you can't help but admire, laugh with and cry for.

Jenny Jones, accused of killing a man in self defense, is awaiting death by a firing squad when she is approached by a rich dying woman who offers to take her place. Naturally, there is a catch. Jenny must promise to deliver the woman's daughter safely into the arms of her Father in California. Jenny is a loner who thinks kids are barely half human but decides her life, as pitiful as it may be, is worth the aggravation.

Jenny not only finds herself saddled down with a snot nosed, prissy kid who prays for her death each night but hot on her trail are the kids' money grubbing cousin's who are bent on killing little Graciela so they can grab her inheritance. To make matters worse Jenny is also being followed by Ty Sanders, a real sexy dude, who appears to want Graciela for his own perverted reasons.

Ty unbeknownst to Jenny is also on the same mission. He is Graciela's Uncle and has been sent by his Brother to retrieve her. He'll do everything he can to save his niece from the hands of the obviously insane Miss Jenny Jones. As nutty as he finds her he can't help being attracted to her, she fascinates him, and this scares him more than Graciela's murderous cousins.

Eventually these two hard headed, tough as nail people realize they need to stop beating the crap out of each other and join forces if they intend to bring Graciela home safely.

As the three spend time together and struggle to keep themselves alive will they be strong enough to protect their hearts from breaking when they're forced to say goodbye at the end of the trip?

THE PROMISE OF JENNY JONES is often times hilarious and extremely touching. Ms. Osborne handled Jenny's gradual transformation from loner to big hearted woman so beautifully I had tears in my eyes throughout a major part of the book. I also liked the little girl Graciela's transformation from a stuck-up little brat to a sensitive and loving little girl. And of course Ty was also a terrific hero whose first mistake is assuming he is going to tame Jenny! The character growth in this story is just amazing. Because the character's are so well drawn and actually get to know each other before they jump into bed the love story between this unlikely couple is completely believable and the sexual tension intense.

The grittiness, humor, realism and emotion of this story are just a few of the things that make it so special. Maggie Osbourne knows which buttons to push to melt this reader's heart. Very highly recommended.
on 19 May 1999
This book has become one of my all time favorites. I find myself reading it time and time again. Jenny Jones is a tough capable girl in a man's world, and she is always clever enough to survive.Each character was so well written that they actually came to life for me. Ms. Osborne has the young antagonist save herself by asking herself "what would Jenny do". I have found myself saying the exact same thing in tough situations. Jenny Jones is so real, I find myself forgetting this is a fictional book. I recommend this book frequently to my friends and I recommend it highly to anyone reading this. I will obtain all the Maggie Osborne books I can, as I can't wait to see where next she will take me.
on 7 December 1998
Ms. Osborne captures two strong charaters on paper and makes them work wonderfully together. Jenny and Ty are both people of integrity who are used to working alone. An unusual situation throws them together and they must rely on each other to see their goals achieved. The writing was delightful, with witty conversation and good old fashion virtues. I found Jenny's attempts to curb her vocabulary around a 6 year old amusing (although I doubt she would have been using the work "friking" - but the stronger equivalant!). Although at first I balked at the title, Ms. Osborne chose a very clever title indeed... was it Jenny's verbal promise or her potential? Wonderful story!
on 3 July 1998
I can't say that I'm a fan of Westerns. But I really enjoyed this book. The characters are so original, alive and I couldn't stop laughing. Jenny Jones is a one of a kind heroine. She can cuss, shoot, and fight with the best of them. She's been a mule driver and buffalo skinner, jobs that usually men do. Her word means alot to her. But under all that, Jenny has a heart of gold and is a unique type of lady. The story is mainly about her. Ty Sanders, the hero is a good match for her (even though she's his equal in a brawl). Graciela, Ty's niece and under Jenny's protection is the reason these two meet, fight, change and eventually fall in love.
on 26 June 1998
This story shows you an all new way to look at your life. The basis and backbone behind this book is the strength of your promise. Jenny knows that she has done a lot of things in her life that she's not proud of but she has never broken her word so she knows that her life is meaningful. Even Ty didn't understand hat at first but he eventually figured it out. And that's when the other shoe fell. The little brat turned into a loving little imp with a will to survive. It's a beautiful story that will break your heart and mend it at te same time.
on 14 October 1998
As a woman who has learned to set her mind to a task and finish the job with out a man. I loved the growth and developing bond between Jenny, Graciela and Uncle Ty. They are a destiny thats meant to be.This is a tear jerker. I enjoyed the correction of a six year old to an adult on bad language. The awesome fear of Graciela being ill, near death in danger. Maggie Osborne did a wonderful job turning Jenny Jones into a mother and lover.
on 8 May 1997
I laughed and I cried. Jenny and her young charge won my heart.
Die hard Osborne fan,
Cheryl St.John :-)
on 2 March 1999
Quite well done and original.