Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2000
This was the first Joan Wolf book I read, and I quickly bought as many of her others as I could find.
It's told from the heroine's point of view and I liked the way she got on with the situation of the marriage instead of being pointlessly tiresome and she didn't expect unreal outcomes. (I dread seeing heroines described as fiery or tempestuous - it usually means stroppy and spoilt)
The hero was very fanciable and he too was also making the best of the situation as he found it. Eventually they understand each other but the resolution of the mystery didn't have the ends wrapped up too neatly.
on 16 November 1998
Joan Wolf has been a favorite of mine ever since I read the regencies she wrote years ago. This latest book seems like a return to her most successful style of writing -- a high-spirited heroine, an aristocratic hero and the Regency period. Kate is a really engaging heroine and writing the story in the first person made it accessible.
on 6 December 1998
I love, and reread, all of Joan Wolf's first person romances, but The Deception is my very favorite. A tall, blond hero of Waterloo is forced into marriage with a horse trainer's daughter, the heroine is wrenched out of a poor but (relatively) happy existence to be married to a peer of the realm, the hero's younger brother is charming, the villian is thoroughly villianous. This story has everything. Our heroine has spunk, our hero desires her against her will, our hero's brother lurches from escapade to escapade as he tries to emulate his brother. And weaving through the story is a weak mystery - just enough to keep the plot moving - and a wealth of fascinating detail on dressage and the wonderful horses that perform it. Highly recommended.
on 21 July 1997
Told in first person, this book has interesting characters and an evil plot. I enjoyed it alot and was quick to add this author to my list of favorites.