5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
When I requested this book I was wondering if it would being just another vampire book, with same kind of plotlines that I had seen before as there are so many at the moment.
Published 19 months ago by R. Simons

3.0 out of 5 stars Warriors of the Rift book 1
Published on 25 Mar 2012 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars Warriors of the Rift book 1, 25 Mar 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Kiss Of The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Warriors of the Rift) (Mass Market Paperback)
Once every 73 years a rift between dimensions opens allowing incorporeal beings to get to earth. These beings are unable to survive unless they take over the body of a human host - usually a body that is either dead or dying - and when they merge with their new body they change into either a vampire, demon or shapeshifter. Most of the beings who come through the rift are criminals but Tobias was a law enforcement officer and he followed an escaped prisoner to earth to carry out the punishment he was sentenced to. For over 200 years Tobias has searched for his enemy but he still hasn't been able to take him down.

Nix is half human and half demon, and she constantly has to work at keeping her demon side under control. She is on the edge of both the human and preternatural worlds, not quite belonging in either and not accepted by either group. She works as a liaison between the human police and the preternatural council helping to solve crimes. Five years ago Tobias was the love of Nix's life but then he broke her heart by leaving her. Now they are forced to work together to investigate a murder and the attraction is back in full force but Nix isn't prepared to risk her heart for a second time and Tobias still thinks he is a bad influence on her that brings her demon side to the surface.

I love both paranormal romance and urban fantasy so I was looking forward to starting Cynthia Garner's new series which looked like it straddled the lines between the two genres. I found her idea of a gateway between two different dimensions really interesting but I wanted to know more about where the incorporeal beings came from and quite how they ended up mixing with humans to create such a variety of different supernatural creatures. In some ways I felt it would have been more realistic (in as far as any book with vampires and shapeshifters in it can ever be realistic!) if there was only one type of supernatural being rather than so many different varieties though. Still, the whole idea was an interesting one and I'm sure we will learn more about how it all works as the series continues, it can be a fine line between overwhelming you with information in the first book and not giving you enough and I find a lot of authors end up going one way or the other.

I enjoyed the romance between Tobias and Nix but I have to admit that neither of these characters particularly stood out for me as particularly memorable. Although I understood why Tobias felt he had to leave Nix I don't like the way he went about it, he must have known how little support she had from anyone else and how much she had come to rely on him so it was particularly cruel and heartless to dump her like she'd never meant anything to him. Then he comes back on the scene and pretty much expects her to pick up where things left off but with no commitment which was completely unrealistic. I actually liked Nix's human colleague Dante much more and spent the early part of the book hoping Nix would kick Tobias to the kerb and go out with Dante instead. Tobias did win me over in the end but I was disappointed with the ending which felt a little rushed.

Overall I have really mixed feelings about Kiss of the Vampire. It wasn't the best start to a series that I've ever read but it was far from the worst too. I'm curious enough about the world to want to read more and finding out that Dante is the hero of Secret of the Wolf is enough to make me pick up the next book. Hopefully the series will just get stronger with each instalment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average read, 20 Mar 2012
Nix was a feisty character, with a sharp tongue and scrappy nature. She has a tender hold on her humanity as she struggles daily not to let her demon half overcome her. But when Tobias re-enters her life, she must work harder than ever. I liked Nix's inner battle, it gave her character a sense of integrity and strength.

The tension between Nix and Tobias was thick and intoxicating. The old lovers banter back and forth, tease and push the other till breaking point. But amid the flirtation, there is the dangerous matter of solving the recent spree of murders. Nix and Tobias find themselves in much deeper water than they initially anticipated, and the added complexity gave weight to the story.

I did find myself more drawn to the romance, and wish the whole thing could have been just a little more. As it went on, my interest in the problem-solving grew less and less. Really, it could have been a fair bit shorter than it actually was and the story wouldn't have suffered at all.

Great for any fantasy/paranormal fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book was okay, just average., 5 Mar 2012
[...]

The book was good, but not amazing. I loved the romance aspect of it, the plot wasn't very unique at all, but still a good read. Even though I wasn't blown away by this book, I'm most probably going to read the next book in the series, Secret of the Wolf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warriors of the Rift #1, 4 Feb 2012
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Every seventy-three years a dimensional rift happens, caused by a certain comet making its journey through the solar system. Each time the rift occurs, many incorporeal beings from the other dimension makes their way into this one. Each being takes possession of a human body. The combination of the two essences determine what kind of creature the host will become. (Vampire, shapeshifter, demon, elf, pixie, etc.) The entire world now knows about this, but few - if any - are happy about it. The next rift will occur in two years.

Most of the entities that come through the rift are criminals, but not Tobias Caine. Tobias came through the last rift chasing a criminal who had assassinated the leader of his people. Five years ago, Tobias had been dating Nix, who is a half-breed. Believing himself to be a bad influence, Tobias left her five years ago. Uncertain he could stay away from her, Tobias left the state. And had his close friend, Amarinda "Rinda" Novellus, not asked him to return, Tobias would never have come back to Arizona.

Half-demon, half-human, Nix de la Fuente is accepted by neither and mistrusted by both. Nix did not come through the rift. She had been born on Earth. Nix's mother had been one of the succubi. After Nix's mother ended up killing her father, she dropped Nix off at her paternal grandmother's house and disappeared. So Nix had been raised by a woman that hated her. Today, Nix devotes herself to solving crimes between the world's mortals and its "prets". When Nix arrives to the scene of a murder and finds the victim to be her friend, Rinda, her world tilts. Then Nix learns that Tobias has been called in to help with the case. The hunger Tobias and Nix had felt for each other is still there. As they work to solve a string of violent murders, their feelings for each other begins to intensify.

*** THREE STARS! This is Cynthia Garner's debut novel and the author shows great promise. Most of this book follows the main couple (and Nix's partner) as they search for clues to the killer's identity. No real danger enters the story until far into the tale. There are a few secondary characters that will (no doubt) reappear in the next segment of the series to cause trouble, such as Nix's superiors on the council. It will be interesting to see what the author does with them. Various characters in the story have complex, yet compelling, backgrounds that kept the story intriguing to me as I read. It slows down a bit in the middle, but most stories do. As for the ending, AWESOME! I wondered if something similar to it would happen, but did not really expect it. I closed the cover of this book while wishing that the second title was available for me to dive immediately into. I am eager to see what happens to Nix and Tobias next. ***

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if a little too detailed, 23 Jan 2012
So the basis of this is that entities cross through the rift and inhabit humans, no-one knows exactly how it works but humans react differently and become either shifters, vampires or demons. Tobias and Nix have a history and, typically of this type of story, their break up was a miscommunication and they both think the other doesn't want to be with them ..... boy, are they wrong! They're forced to work together to solve this case which involves an old mutual friend.

I liked the idea of supernaturals (or preternaturals, as they're called in this) being from another dimension or plane, it was different from other books I've read. I also like Nix, she was an interesting character that I enjoyed reading. There were a couple of little bits that felt like the author just went into way too much detail and I was actually rolling my eyes and thinking, "why do I need to know all this?". But aside from that, the story and characters were interesting and it looks like the rest of the series will be following different characters storylines. I'm looking forward to the next one though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 31 Aug 2012
R. Simons - See all my reviews
I was however very pleased that this didn't really following the trend as such. With not only vampires, but werewolves, shapeshifers, demons or `prets' as they are known, and humans working alongside each other.

Prets come in through a rift that happens every 73 years opneing a gateway from their dimention to Earth.

Nix was the main character a half human half demon who struggled to keep the demon inside her

Most half human, haf demons would have went completely insane and died by her age but luckily she hadn't.
Nix worked as a liason between the regions Council of Preternaturals and the local authories.

Tobias Caine, a special agent for the Council and also a vampire had been called upon to work with her due to some violent murders that had been happening towards vampires.

Dante MacMillan was a Detective in the police force.

Although Nix really didn't want to work with Tobias due to the fact he walked out on her five years previously, she had to, lives were indanger.

The book was fabulous, I loved the way the whole thing unfolded into a romance, erotic in places, as well as a suspense and fantasy book. It had me gripped. It was very well written and it has left me wanting more.
I cannot wait until the next book Secret Of The Wolf is available.

ARRAY(0xaa3b445c)

Kiss Of The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Warriors of the Rift)
Kiss Of The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Warriors of the Rift) by Cynthia Garner (Mass Market Paperback - 29 Mar 2012)
7.18