Darren Shan is one of those authors that you either love or hate. Personally I love the guy's writing but that doesn't mean that it will appeal to everyone. Within this offering is a tale that will keep you guessing, some great characters and to be honest quite a bit of growth and whilst you can technically read this without having read the previous two I'd heavily advise against that as you won't get the full Shan flavour. It's quirky, its twisted and to be honest the weirdness is strangely appealing. A great offering from the author in this series and definitely a real piece of escapism.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Shan is an experienced author and here he closes his latest trilogy on a high note.

Charting the rise of Capac Raimi (The Cardinal), this series begins to close with his kidnapping. In best Arthurian trasition, without him in charge, the city begins to fall...

Shan writes in an extremly cinematic way, this could easily translate to film as the illegitimate offspring of Philip K. Dick and Frank Herbert and adopted by China Mieville.

He allows us to side with chracters that we may dislike and even cheer for them wwhen things go right, or wince as things go very, very wrong.

Great stuff.
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Capac Raimi is The Cardinal, ruler of what is known simply as, the City. Created by the mysterious and enigmatic, blind Incan priests at the behest of the previous Cardinal, he can't be killed. More accurately, he can be killed, but will always come round several days later aboard a train heading back to The City. An unnerving trait for his many enemies and would be executioners. Despite his gift, or curse, as he variously views it, control of the City is gradually slipping from his grasp as rival gangs and factions fight for territory. One day, Raimi disappears and it falls to Al Jeery, who spends his nights as a brutally lethal vigelante in the guise of notorious serial killer Pacau Wami (who also happened to be his father) to locate him before the City falls to anarchy.

It's bit difficult to know what to say about this book, to be honest. I didn't dislike it, but I really struggled to get into it. Maybe it was simply because all of the main characters are generally quite unpleasant individuals and therefore difficult to warm to. Maybe it was because it takes a while for the story to actually get going. Anyway, for whatever reason, it just didn't really grab me. Possibly, I would've benefitted from reading the previous two installments in the trilogy
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was my first foray into Darren Shan's writing. The book was received via the vine programme and would not normally be the kind of thing I would pick up. I'm normally more crime fiction than fantasy.

However, once I got going with this I really enjoyed it! It took some time to really get engrossed. I don't know if this is because I went straight in to the third book in the trilogy? But I never really felt like this didn't work as a standalone story as well. Some of the names & text didn't scan well through my internal monologue while reading, which was grating at times, but the story developed well and by the end was un-put-downable.

I was quite glad I picked a couple of days of travelling to/from London by train to read this as it gave me sufficient time to get absorbed. I don't think I would have found it such and easy dad if I was dipping in and out a little bit at a time.
on 1 September 2011
Darren Shan has outdone himself in the City Trilogy, and the same goes for City of Snakes! The stories of book one and two collide bringing out a grand finalie for the story.
on 31 May 2012
Shan is the man! This is an adult series that is very intriguing and complexly written. Shan is very talented and needs to be recognized!
on 18 February 2014
really finishes the series off in a . great way
a must read for every age range
in just a few words, thrilling,gripping and awesome
on 6 April 2010
No doubt in my mind that this series of books are the best I have ever read. And I read a lot! Being 18 I think I am basically Darren's target audience and also anyone a bit older. I wouldn't suggest this is a read to anyone younger than 15/16 as some of the text is quite... graphic?

This is the 3rd book in the series and ties things together quite quite nicely! I'd have to say it isn't quite as good as Hell's Horizon but... Still incredible! Buy this book! (But read the other two first, obviously) Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy) and Hell's Horizon: The City Trilogy 2
on 2 January 2016
I loved this so much. Its almost as good as the first and i definitely recommend reading it. Just make sure you read all three!
on 5 May 2016
Really enjoy this series of books. For some reason reminds me of Michael Marshall Smith books, of whom I am a massive fan.