Published on 18 Sep 2010 by Robert Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool little book, convenient but shallow
I was curious about this series as I like executive summaries more than books.. I started with this one.
Its a nice book and convenient to learn the basics of things.
Its a bit reandomnly organised, some 'things' are actually just quotes, but you'll learn enough to have a good idea on the topic.
I have a business background, so obviously this book seemed a...
Published on 1 Nov 2010 by J. Linder

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic and fundamental, yes, but surprisingly thought-provoking and informative, 18 Sep 2010
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned In Business School (Hardcover)
What we have in this easy-to-dismiss book (because of its cutesy title and unorthodox shape) is a collection remarkably interesting, in some instances valuable insights or explanations provided by the co-authors, Michael W. Preis and Matthew Frederick, who presumably learned more than 101 "things" (a useless word when you think about it) within and beyond a business school community. Preis and Frederick stick to business basics with this approach: following an assertion ("X is...." or "Y is not necessarily...."), they provide a brief but insightful delineation that corrects or modifies a misconception. For example:

"Not all capital is economic." (#5)

"A mission or vision statement that is impossible to disagree with might not be saying much of significance." (#15)

"Cannibalize your own sales." (#27)

"Profitable, fast growing companies can be chronically short of cash." (#38)

"Promoting the best performer to manager is often a mistake." (#67)

"Sacrifice the trivial few for the vital many." (#77)

"Obsolete does not always mean useless." (#81)

After each of these and the other 94 "things," Preis and Frederick offer a brief explanation of the given assertion's significance. None offers a head-snapping revelation but together, throughout the sequence in which they are presented, they provide a thought-provoking and informative briefing on key business concepts, issues, and concerns.

I urge those who share my high regard for this book to check out these, listed in alpha order:

The Future of Management
Gary Hamel

Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths And Total Nonsense: Profiting From Evidence-Based Management
Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert I. Sutton

Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm [Hardcover]
Verne Harnish (Author)

Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
Guy Kawasaki

Rework
Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson

Think Big, Act Small: How America's Best Performing Companies Keep the Start-up Spirit Alive
Jason Jennings

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool little book, convenient but shallow, 1 Nov 2010
J. Linder - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Things I Learned In Business School (Hardcover)
Its a nice book and convenient to learn the basics of things.
I have a business background, so obviously this book seemed a bit shallow, but that is kind of the objective.. im sure it could be interesting for those with a different background.
I will try the one on architecture to make a better judgment.

101 Things I Learned In Business School
101 Things I Learned In Business School by Michael W. Preis (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)
10.33