5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and compelling
Published on 16 Dec 2002 by J. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Living with DID
When this book was first published 50 years ago, it introduced the world to Multiple Personality Disorder, now better known as Dissociative Identity Disorder. Where Sybil is actually hard-going and, frankly, rather old-fashioned, anyone with an interest in this subject would do well to read Today I'm Alice, where Alice Jamieson gives us a more up-to-date, more easily...
Published on 14 April 2011 by Larry Roland Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and compelling, 16 Dec 2002
J. Hall "jude72" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
When I was first given a friends copy some years ago, I read it in three days. This book is truly inspiring, and tells the tale of how Sybil's life was run by her personalities. Having now read this book numerous times, it still has the capacity to shock me when discriptions are given of the abuse inflicted on Sybil by her mother. The personalities and their ways of living their lives had me shaking my head in wonderment that Sybil did not go insane, living with them yet not knowing their existence until her therapy began. I highly recomment this book, whatever your interests, but especially if you are involved with children who have been abused. 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 29 July 2004
R. P. Sedgwick "Grim Rob" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
That this book is a true story is something I had to constantly remind myself as I was reading it, because in many ways it feels like a novel. The Sybil described in this book is so alien that I found it almost impossible to relate to her as a human being.
That's to take nothing away from the book. Sybil's story alone is good enough to make this book a classic, but it is well and sympathetically written after years of painstaking research by the author.
The suspense of finding out what happened in Sybil's childhood to cause the disassociation into different personalities is superbly done, and makes reading the book a thoroughly gripping experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollar coaster ride, 13 Jun 2000
Whilst studying for an A-level my tutor told me I should get this book, but not to start to read it until after the exams. Of course, I bought the book, started to read the first few pages, and forgot all about studying for the exams until put the book down.
Sybil takes you on an emotional journey. Just by the nature of the book, you guess some of the things she must hav suffered as a child, but when the horrific story emerges, you are left dumbstruck. If you have an interes in MPD, or in psychology in general, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars engrossing, 20 Aug 2004
I have read this book twice as it is that fascinating. Sybil's story is truly unique and heartbreaking. The abuse she suffers at the hands of her mother is uncomprehensible. I would recommend this book to everybody as it certainly shows how easy it can be to lose touch with reality, without even knowing it. It really makes you question your own sanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars "best moving story ever"., 21 Nov 1998
By A Customer
Sybil was part of the reading list for my course in child psychology. At the time this book was not available in Sri Lanka and I had to get it down from the UK. With every page you read in Sybil you could picture your self being there. A very moving story and I am yet to come across a book that is so very intreging and well written. I have read the book four times so far and sadly it got misplaced whilst moving house. Therefor I have ordered the same book again and look forward to reading this again. It is one book that when you pick up you never want to put it down until you've finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars A frighteningly real story of abuse and hurt., 19 July 2000
By A Customer
I performed a piece from the film version of this as part of a drama course and as research I read the book. It was just weeks before my assessment and I had to completely change my ideas. By the end of the book you know Sybil inside out, I have never before become so involved with a character. If you want to read this book, however, make sure you have a strong stomach because some of the images are so real they are sickening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Profound!, 12 Nov 2007
L. Flitton "BookDiva" (U.K) - See all my reviews
Although well written I would not class this book as an easy read,never the less I enjoyed it immensely. It is very informative in regards to the condition and offers excellent insight into what a sufferer endures. I personally feel that the book comes across as rather clinical, written perhaps in a more professional manner. I felt that it was not very empathic or warm even, especially in regards to the barbaric abuse that Sybil was subjected to, in fact it was quite dispassionate. However, this does not reflect negatively upon it's literary qualities.
The very existence of this disorder goes beyond proof that the human mind is utterly compelling and in it's self a complex miracle.
There was one particular paragraph within the book that I could really relate to, I quote "Like a mollusc, Willard Dorsett had always stayed within his shell,insulated in the private sea of his own concerns", I correlate this to my very own father too, he was much the same in regards to his own dissociation regarding acknowledgement of my abuse.
I recommend anyone whom is studying or just interested in Psychology/Therapy to read this book as it is profound, a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone know......, 15 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sybil (Mass Market Paperback)
A great book which arrived quickly. I watched this film years ago & it had quite an impact & i'm currently trying to get it on dvd, either region 2 or region 0. Not having any luck whatsoever, as they all seem to be region 1. If anyone knows where i can get this film on dvd region 2 or 0, please please could you let me know. Thanks :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of the "Classic" reputation it has, 3 Aug 2009
This is an amazing book. As it was one of the earliest books written about Dissociative Identity Disorder, it more than deserves the reputation as a classic that it has.
It is amazing how the human body and mind find remarkable survival methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever!, 19 July 2009
This is without a doubt one of the best books i have ever read! You grow to really love Sybil and feel for her. The accounts of the abuse from her mother are harrowing and it is a very well written book. I would definatly recommend this to anyone with any interest in Psychology.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sybil
Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber (Mass Market Paperback - April 2009)
5.83