4.0 out of 5 stars Full of good advice and well worth a read
Published on 19 April 2010 by North Westie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips and ideas
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by Hilda

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of good advice and well worth a read, 19 April 2010
This review is from: How To Never Look Fat Again: Over 1000 Ways to Dress Thinner - Without Dieting (Hardcover)
This is a great book for working out what to wear to look as slim as you can. I knew some of the top tips already either from other books I have read or from working out for myself what made me look fatter. However this book is the most comprehensive I have seen on this subject - there is a lot covered but you can speed read by looking at the "10 things" and the "vows" pages in each section.

I read some of the American readers' reviews on Amazon.com before buying the book and some of those reviewers complained that some of the photographs were of celebrities who did not really seem to have the problems highlighted in the book. I can see their point but there are also some useful photos of what works well or doesn't.

Some of the suggested products listed are for brands I am not familiar with so I am not sure if they are available in the UK or not but that is only a minor gripe. Charla is also a big fan of shapewear which I have had mixed success with, but there is so much in this book that you are bound to find some useful advice even if you don't follow all her advice to the letter.

I have lost quite a bit of weight over the past year but I can still look chunky in the wrong clothes so I want to replace my old clothes with some that really suit me and show off that I am a bit slimmer. This book is helping me to work out what to go for and what to not even bother trying on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief, 22 April 2010
Such a relief to hear that we don't all have to be stick thin to look good. She fills you so much with encouragement and it's really helpful to see how colourful you can look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good advice, 26 Sep 2010
This book is full of invaluable tips and advice. I found it very helpful, even though lacking a bit of nuance at times. For instance, Ms Krupp says 'never' to turtlenecks for those who don't have a swan neck, but in my opinion thin dark colored turtlenecks work quite well if you have a nice jawline...

4.0 out of 5 stars CLOTHES MAKE THE MAN - CLOTHES REMAKE THE WOMAN, 28 May 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As they say, clothes make the man. Well, Charla Krupp shows us how clothes can remake the woman. HOW TO NEVER LOOK FAT AGAIN not only shows us with pages of color photos but also tells how, what, and why - for instance, how a petite can look extra glam in supple cowls and v-neck sleeveless tops and why she shouldn't wear scrunch-down turtles or boxy crews. And, what a woman after forty can do about the "flappies" - that unattractive loose skin underneath our arms.

Is there a woman on planet Earth who doesn't think she has a figure flaw? Did I say "a"? Most of us think we have several. Charla has answers, whether it's that arm flap, a large bust, hefty hips and thighs, heavy calves, etc. My favorite suggestions are for those with a Buddha Belly - also known as "jelly belly, pot belly, girly gut, and a number of other unattractive monikers. Solution: "Switch all your underwear to shapewear, don't make your waist the center of attention, avoid wide belts, short tops, etc.

Not only does Charla offer suggestions but also includes where to buy (websites, too) and the price of the items she mentions. (She's very high on Spanx and waist-high bike shorts, saying "...thrashing around getting these on is not a pretty sight, but the ability to lose ten pounds in one minute is well worth the struggle."

Just as in her super popular How Not To Look Old Charla's latest is chock full of practical suggestions - did you know that Norma Kamali has a very price accessible line of clothing at Walmart?

This is one book you'll refer to again and again.

- Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips and ideas, 6 Mar 2012
I bought this book hoping for a miracle. It did contain some useful ideas and suggestions, however, I think it would have been of much greater use had there been diagrams and pictures. Had hoped for more in depth style ideas and suggestions on how to wear clothes in a way that optimises your figure. Came away feeling that the answer seems to be 'wear shapewear at all times'.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok bood, 29 Jun 2014
Its ok only tell you what you already know and lets face it we still need to find the clothes in the shops

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 6 Jan 2014
Verbose, American drivel. States the obvious over and over again and seems to be a continuous product placement for American stores and goods. Complete waste of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!!, 23 Feb 2013
whoa what a difference this book can make!
just a few simple steps make tones of difference, no more does this make my bum look big

5.0 out of 5 stars Emy, 16 Oct 2011
This was actually very nice book! Someone should take out all the product placements and make an educational documentary for these weirdly dressed women on the high street. No wonder French are famous for their style, this is because they never break the rules of how to dress for your body shape!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 Oct 2010
Until two years ago, I was a very attractive, well-dressed, youthful looking middle-aged woman. Then Fate, in the form of incompetent and negligent UK NHS doctors, intervened and my face was left grotesquely disfigured for life, along with an ongoing devastating illness due to poorly diagnosed post-operative hospital borne infection. (The same surgeons went to Vietnam partway through this farrago of clinical negligence on a vanity TV project to show off to the world what they described as their "world renowned " skills as surgeons, experimenting on impoverished, disfigured Vietnamese paupers who presumably could be conveniently shut away off camera if they didn't benefit)
So, I've been through the mill and continue to do so. Before the surgery, I'd stocked up on books about looks as I'd always enjoyed them and felt it would provide some recreational and aspirational reading during convalescence.
I then found all my energy taken up in reading medical books and books on facial disfigurement and psychology, which are reviewed elsewhere on the site.
Finally, I feel the need to fight back a bit in terms of how I look now. Can't do anything about my face, nor as yet my hair, which was also destroyed. But the combination of endless surgical procedures (all failures), endless convalescence, prescribed drugs requiring a full stomach, inability to do pilates and yoga, inability some days even to go for a short walk, etc has left me looking like a two-legged hippo. This, in psychological terms, adds to my discontent so I finally have found the energy to try to do something about it.
This book, I found excellent. Full of useful, practical advice. None of it is new, but it is all pulled together in a practical way, and the advice is not only sensible, but avoids the advertising for pointless procedures that too many authors of these books do, as they have entered arrangements with the people and companies who sell such products and treatments.
I also like the way that the author points out that you the reader can't lead a normal life that consists of endless hours in a gym and restricted diets, and massive expense, so ignore all such celebrity endorsements.
The book is full of advice on how to look slimmer through clothing choices.
The only disappointment is that (a) there is only a list of American suppliers of recommended bras, tights, pants etc; many of the recommended items are not stocked in UK shops and a list of UK mail order suppliers would have been helpful (I've tried to buy mail order from the States before and got stuck with a massive duty bill that I had to pay before I could have the clothes delivered, so never again); and (b) a lot of slenderising underwear like Spanx is actually very uncomfortable in terms of trapped wind etc, so I wish someone could come up with an alternative for daily wear.

How To Never Look Fat Again: Over 1000 Ways to Dress Thinner - Without Dieting