5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Lessons from Old Testament Heroes and Heroines, 3 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Running With The Giants (Hardcover)
The text for this book is an expanded version of a talk given by Dr. Maxwell at an National Basketball Association All-Star game in the United States. As a result, there's a sports context for the book's structure.
The concept is that we each lead our lives with a cloud of witnesses observing as we perform (Heb. 12:1). "Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is before us."
You imagine yourself running 10 laps in a race with the stands full of the great people from the Bible. Ten of them come down in turn to join you in running one lap, and share words of encouragement as they do.
From Noah (". . . for when you wonder if your life really counts"), you learn that "you can make a difference" as you contemplate his single-minded focus on building the ark.
From Esther (". . . for when you are uncertain about your purpose"), you are reminded that "when you realize God's purpose for you, you will feel empowered" as you focus on her developing the courage to make pleas to her husband the king to save the lives of the Jews.
From Joseph (". . . for when life isn't turning out the way you planned"), you focus to not "give up on your dreams" as you think about Joseph's childhood dreams that all of his family would honor him.
From Moses (". . . for when you are fearful or reluctant"), you are exhorted to "live in the faith zone, not in the safe zone" as you think about Moses returning to Egypt to lead the Jews after heeding the call of the burning bush.
From Rebekah (". . . for when others ask for your help"), you are reminded to "give generously to others" as you recall her serving water for hours to Abraham and his camels.
From Abraham (". . . for when you don't understand God's ways"), you remember that "God always does the right thing" as you consider his long wait to become a father and then God's command to slay his beloved son, Isaac.
From the Servant Girl in 2 Kings 5:1-3 who was a slave to Naaman (". . . for when you think your efforts are insignificant"), you see that "one small act can make a big difference" as you reflect on her suggestion to her mistress that Naaman see Elisha to have his leprosy cured.
From David (". . . for when others are trying to keep you down"), you see the example that "you can overcome the limitations others put on you" while contemplating what his father, brothers and King Saul did to slight David before he conquered Goliath.
Finally, from Jonathan (". . . for when you want to make a greater impact"), you realize that when it is possible to "strengthen a leader and save a nation" as you think about how Jonathan helped David with Saul.
These brief stories are supplemented at the end with suggestions for reading relevant sections of the Bible to deepen your understanding of these favorite stories.
At the end of each story and lap, there is a marvelous section that includes a prayer and discussion questions. The questions alternate between imagining what the Biblical figure thought about while following these lessons with asking you what you need to do in your life. In most cases, these questions caused me to think about the stories in new ways . . . even though they are all well known to me since I was a little boy in Sunday School.
I think it's easy for us today to forget to draw on the wisdom and experience represented by the great people in the Old Testament. Running with the Giants will help you overcome that tendency.
For me the only things that could have made this book better would have been to include more Biblical stories (including both the Old and the New Testaments) and nonreligious heroes and heroines who have led lives of exceptional spirituality and goodness. But that would have made the book longer, more expensive and taken longer to read. However, I think the difference would have been good for me. Perhaps we'll have a series of these books over time from Dr. Maxwell. I certainly hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcendent Values Then and Now, 27 Sept. 2005
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Running With The Giants (Hardcover)
Having read and reviewed most of Maxwell's other books, I am probably somewhat unfair when suggesting that he frequently recycles many of the same leadership principles. Stated another way, had I read only the one Maxwell book each time I was composing a review of it, I would probably rate each of the Maxwell books Five Stars. They are carefully organized, well written, and thought-provoking. The same is true of this volume in which Maxwell focuses on ten heroes and heroines from the Old Testament. He suggests that each manifests an important life and leadership principle: Noah (one person can make a difference), Esther (God has a place for you), Joseph (Don't give up on your dreams), Moses (live in the "faith zone," not the "safe zone"), Rebekah (give generously to others), Abraham (God always does the right thing), Nehemiah (no problem is too big when you have help), The Servant Girl (one small act can make a big difference), David (you can overcome the limitations others put on you), and finally Jonathan (strengthen a leader and save a nation). Maxwell devotes a chapter to each and concludes with a "Discussion Guide" based on the material provided in the given chapter.
It is easy to list the names of the heroines and heroes, and, to list also the life and leadership principle each embodies. Far more difficult, obviously, to correlate their ancient cultures with our own. That is precisely Maxwell's point: However different cultures and individual circumstances may be, there really are some enduring values which are relevant to each. After I read this book, I was prompted to ask questions such as these. Have not contemporaries such as Gandhi made a difference? Was it not Mother Teresa's mission in life to give generously to others? Did Martin Luther King, Jr. ever give up on his dream? Were Gandhi, King, Sadat, and Rabin (to name but four) in a "safe zone" or a "faith zone" when assassinated?
To varying degrees, ancient as well as contemporary heroes and heroines demonstrate in their lives and in their leadership of others the same principles and values which Maxwell affirms all of his many books. This one is different from the others in that it attracts our attention to ten individuals most of whom we seldom think about, much less appreciate, and from whom we can learn much of value if our hearts as well as our minds are both willing and able.

5.0 out of 5 stars out of this World, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Running With The Giants (Hardcover)
i was not to sure on what this book would have to offer,but after reading the first few chapters i was totaly
inspired to try thinking and living my life a different way.
thank you Amazon for helping me to find a life changer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Running with giants...of the bible, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Running With The Giants (Hardcover)
Good, easy to read and understand motivational book from john maxwell.
Words of encouragement and advice from bible characters who have been uncertain at times, but trusted in God, been obedient to Him and can share their personal experience to guide us on our pilgimage in this wilderness of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars running with the giants, 16 Nov. 2013
Maynard S. Newman (london england) - See all my reviews
This book is well presented and helps the reader almost enter into the race..and learn a lot about some great men and women in the old testament..great encouragement

5.0 out of 5 stars Running the race, 17 Oct. 2014
This is an excellent book, just what i needed to strengthen my Faith walk daily. Very enlightening. I would recommend this book to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Running With The Giants (Hardcover)
arrived on time good book worth reading what more can I say I liked it a lot that's all I can say its wasting my time

Running With The Giants
Running With The Giants by John C. Maxwell (Hardcover - 24 Sept. 2002)