on 28 August 1997
If you love things chocolate and like to make them, then this is the book you have been waiting for. Personally, my obsession is truffles. I have been searching for years for a domestic equivalent to the bittersweet truffles I used to buy at chocolatiers in Paris, but to no avail. Everything I could get in SoCal was either too sweet, too old, or not chocolatey.
Not so here. These recipes produce truffles just like the ones I remember from France: a grown-up treat, not the over-sweetened, over-flavored, dried-up disappointments we have imported or made here. I have only tried the recipes for truffles, but I plan to work my way through the rest of the book, recipe by recipe, the cakes and pastries too. Truffles are so easy to make! Excellent technical information on the handling of chocolate from a writer who is obviously sharing her inside tips. Do what Alice Medrich says, and you can't go wrong. Good mail order sources, copious (and luscious) photos and illustrations. Also, an inspiring and colorful story of someone with an idea who just couldn't let go of it no matter what. In an oversize format, the book itself is a pleasure in the hand and a literal feast for the eye. I plan to give it to friends for Xmas.
on 20 February 1999
This is without question my favorite cookbook. It has recipies for chocolate deserts of almost every occasion. I have made about half of all the recipies and everyone has been a hit. It also has directions about how to make all the fancy decorations that make the presentation just as great as the food. The directions are pretty much idiot proof so those of us who are not chefs can fool our friends. This also is a must for any single guy looking to impress a woman with food!! The pictures give you great decorating ideas to finish off your masterpiece.