5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Superb start to a new series
Published on 8 Aug 2008 by Katia WolfSwan

3.0 out of 5 stars Very poor.
This book is hard going because it reads like fan fiction. The references to 'buffy's' and star trek are jarring and greatly detract from the book. By all means, call the main character a slayer, or a slayer of demons but not a 'Buffy'. That smacks of laziness, and of someone who is totally inexperienced. It really is jarring.

If Larissa had just described the...
Published 24 months ago by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Superb start to a new series, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel) (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent book. Everything I want from a paranormal romance. Hot men, strong women, a well crafted plot that had me guessing, great fight scenes, lots of other relationships explored, not just the protagonists and it was funny in places. I've got to have humour in my romance! If you like the Black Dagger Brotherhood and Dark Hunters then this is one for you. I especially loved reading about the relationship between the three demonic brothers, it reminded me of Zsadist and Phury, they don't always get along because of a tormented past but would give they're lives to save each other. Hmmm...male bonding, can't beat it.

Seriously, I dare you not to fall in love with at least one character...vampires, werewolves, demons...don't take just my word for it, check out the reviews on Amazon.com (careful though...some have spoilers..it's so annoying) or have a look on her website to read the excerpts.

I've picked up a lot of paranormal romance books in the last couple of years only to put them down because there isn't anything new, the genre has spawned a few pale imitations and it's an over used formula...usually about a group of supernatural hotties trying to keep humans safe from harm...features an innocent woman with major attitude who has NEVER had any previous sexual experience. Yawn. This book is different. These supernaturals are just trying to stay alive after being wrongly slayed by a group of human vigilantes. Yes..there is leather clothing involved..and tattoos but the main characters are actually doctors or nurses who work in an underworld hospital. They try to patch up the supernatural community when they have been injured by the slayers or other paranormal activity. It's a unique idea and the book has many twists and turns. Also..it's a passionate book, lots of sizzling love scenes and although the plot was wound up in a satisfactory manner there were still some open sub plots that will have you salivating for the next book. I can't wait to read the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very poor., 17 April 2012

If Larissa had just described the mind reading scene with originality, instead of saying it was like Spock's mind reading trick (the thing he does with his hand to someone else face), then it would have been a lot better. Again, sloppy writing. And if you shorten werewolf to 'were' then you need let us know that it doesn't mean were, as in 'we were fighting'(for example by using italics or a capital W).

Additionally the fight scenes were rubbish. Blows were exchanged. She took a hit to the ribs. But what actually happened? Was she punched or kicked? And I thought the demons had unsheethed their claws, so a 'blow' seems a bit unlikely, compared to a swipe or a slash. Again, I'm not convinced, neither the fight itself nor the setup for the fight were convincing. Especially compared to the Kate Daniels fight scenes.

The world is interesting, but it has not been thought out. How does a species of demon survive if they never reproduce? A bit of thought can tear this world apart. And the sex scenes, well, the main character had her stomach cut open(by a doctor wanted to see if she was a demon) and so she was covered in stitches etc, and the first thing she does when she wakes up is have sex with the demon doctor in the hospital. Not really impressed with that one, her character doesnt ring true. It reads poorly, the dialogue is clunky and the characters are a wooden.

In a brief summary, it reads like fan fiction. 4/10. 2.5/5. This series has potential, but its hard going from the start. Some readers might be revolted by the sex scenes, some readers will dislike the characters, dialogue and the amateurish quality to the writing.

Larissa has absolutely nothing on Ilona Andrews 'Kate Daniels' series. It almost seems like Larissa tries to imitate her style(And fails). I would strongly recommend the Kate Daniels series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant New Demonic Series * * * * *, 20 April 2009
This book was recommended by Lara Adrian and I have to say it was a very good read. You get drawn in right from the start. If you are a lover of JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon then you should enjoy this series too. Give it a go it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Passion unleashed, 12 Feb 2010
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have so far read all of the Demonica books each one better than the one before. Being a BDB fan I found these books compared very well. I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning to a new paranormal erotica series, 11 May 2010
Pleasure Unbound is the #1st book in Larissa Ione's Demonica series. Ione creates a new world where demons, shifters and vampires live alongside the humans and are out in the open. There is a human group called the Aegis or the Slayers, who are in charge of protecting humankind from the monsters, (Though very early in the novel the axis of good and evil starts to shift..)

Larissa Ione developed a very rich and detailed demon world, with original, previously unknown species, special traditions and customs. The reader may feel a bit lost at the beginning faced with so many unknown terms as the Demonica universe differs significantly from the usual UF or paranormal worlds, but the glossary hellps a lot as well as Ione's explanations. It feels like you ahve thrust in the middle of events and after the whirl of happenings calm down you get a slow introduction to the world and its reasons. It is clear that Larissa Ione put a lot of thought and research into her universe and it shows in the details and layers of the story.

Eidolon (by the way what a great demonic name is that!) is the hero, a succubus demon, a breed whose life revolves around sex. But E is a serious, responsible (and of course drop-dead gorgeous) doctor, he is 3D, has depth and history. He is considerate, the ideal man of many women, who doesn't fall for a generous, kindhearted and sexy as hell doctor?

Tayla is a slayer. She is a great fighter, set in her ways and stubborn! She has a lot of issues, so E not only works on mending her physically but plays psychologist too. These two together not only sizzle but combust!

I'd rather say this novel is more paranormal erotica than romance. It is not for the faint hearted: there is a lot of graphic and hot sex scenes (and I'd bet there will be even more in the next books, as E's brothers are more reckless and adventurous).

Plot: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 7/10
Writing: 8/10
Cover: 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Demonica book 1, 20 Mar 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Tayla knows from experience that demons are evil and she has spent her life training to kill them. She is a Guardian (warrior) for The Aegis, a human society who protect the world from demons. When she is injured in a fight and wakes up in a demon hospital she meets Eidolon who is one of the doctors. Meeting Eidolon forces her to start questioning everyhing she has ever learned about demons - who knew they would have a hospital and actually take care of their own let alone help a slayer like her, one of their sworn enemies?

Eidolon is a seminus demon (incubus) and on the verge of reaching maturity - he needs to find a mate soon or he will transform into something terrible. The last thing he wants or needs is to be attracted to Tayla, an ememy of his kind who can't be trusted - he has more important things to deal with. Someone has been slaughtering demons & stealing their body parts for use in black magic. Eidolon is determined to stop them but as they believe The Aegis is involved he is going to need Tayla's help to discover what is happening.

I've heard so many great things about this series & I wasn't disappointed with this first installment. I loved the idea of a demon hospital which is very unique & nothing like anything I've read before. I also enjoyed learning about some of the different kinds of demons & liked the fact that they aren't all portrayed as purely good or evil. I loved Eidolon - he is one hot demon & the chemistry between him & Tayla is great. I also like the relationship between Eidolon and his brothers Shade & Wraith & can't wait to read both of their stories.

Alongside the hot romance & plenty of sex (Eidolon is an incubus after all) there was plenty of action involving a lot of different characters. The plot was fast paced & had a enough twists to keep me guessing and I literally couldn't put the book down. If you're a fan of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood or Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed then I'm sure you'll love Pleasure Unbound. I never expected to say this but move over vamps - the demons are taking over!

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising start for a new series, 24 Nov 2009
Kash (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I enjoyed this book, particularly the new take on demons. It brings in characters that will be the focus of new books so you start to get to know them early on.
Overall a good start and I will be purchasing the next one in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my!!, 5 Oct 2009
What the book says . . . .

Someone has been cutting up demons and removing their body parts, and this doesn't make sense to doctors Eidolon and Shade, the only surgeons in the world who care exclusively for demons. One patient after another has been arriving at the 'demon ER' with missing internal organs, and Eidolon vows to find who has been targeting his race and for what purpose. To make matters worse for Eidolon's demon-kind, he's just gone and treated a female demon-slayer who heats his blood as no other has. Tayla is a sexy, lustful, demon-slaying warrior who works for The Aegis, a council of humans who have vowed to rid the world of demons. Eidolon knows Tayla's deepest secret: that she is actually half demon herself. She is, in fact, the only being Eidolon has ever seen who has half-demon, half-human blood. And she's the only woman who has ever captivated him so. But is this woman, who is trained to eradicate Eidolon's species, the person responsible for the rash of demon mutilations that are turning his hospital upside down?

What I think . . . .

OMG, this is the first book in the Demonica Novels and it was extraordinary. If the other books are anything like this one then they will get pride of place in my library beside my JR Ward books. I loved the relationship the brothers have and I think Tayla's character fantastic. The relationship between Eidolon and Tayla is hot and had my heart pumping in excitement. I can't wait for the next instalment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Quite Make It, 18 Oct 2010
The premise of this story was exciting; paranormal romance, set in a hospital, hunky demons. The problem was that the book wasn't: exciting, I mean. I think it just got bogged down under the weight of the author trying to introduce us into the world she'd created. It obviously had to be done, I just think it could have been handled a little better. The constant stream of information was mind-numbing, so I think that I could have missed many of the good aspects of the book merely by being letting myself be carried along with it, rather than actively attempting to filter through it.
However, there must have been some promise in it, because I continued with the rest of the series, which I loved. In fact, now that I know more about the world from the rest of the books, I may even go back and re-read to see if it's any easier to get through.
I would recommend because it is the start of a thoroughly awesome series and it's always better to read from the beginning. There is also the fact that other people might be more into the world-building side of the story than I am, in which case my problems with the book are immaterial and you will likely love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start to a New Paranormal Romance Series, 16 Sep 2008
Pleasure Unbound introduces us to the Demonica world. In the good guys corner we have Tayla Mancuso - Aegis Demon Slayer. In the bad guys corner we have Eidolon - Seminus Demon and emergency room surgeon. Hmmm...maybe he's not such a bad guy after all. Unfortunately Tayla isn't as easily convinced and she soon finds herself torn between the world she depends on and the world that Eidolon could show her if only she'd believe in him. To make matters more complicated a group of bodysnatchers known as Ghouls are kidnapping demons and harvesting them for bodyparts. The Ghouls are playing the Aegi and the Demons off against each other and it's going to be down to Tayla, Eidolon and their friends to sort the mess out.

Pleasure Unbound is not perfect but I'll start with the good stuff of which there is plenty. I thought the idea of a demon hospital - Underground General - was original and not something I'd seen before. I also liked the fact that there are demonic demons - they aren't all good and misunderstood, but they aren't all bad flesh eaters either.

The world Larissa Ione takes us to, is painted in shades of grey, which I always find more interesting to read about. It is a very real book in that respect. Larissa Ione doesn't flinch away from the realities of the world she has set up. Eidolon has to make difficult decisions and he's one of these characters that does the right thing, even when it's the harder thing to do.

Other characters are not so noble and it's easy to see why Tayla ends up so confused about who is telling her the truth and what is the right thing for her to do.

Having said that I'm not as keen on the character of Tayla, I didn't feel her as much. She seemed a little immature to me but you could also attribute that to how she was raised, and essentially the Aegi appear a little cult-like. So far though I'm liking the male characters more than the female. This book is hot - quite a lot of sex, which on the whole is organic to the storyline. It didn't feel overly gratuitous, after all, Eidolon is an incubus.

On the quibble front. There is a slight tendency to melodrama at some points. Tayla in particular is a bit of a drama queen. Now there's nothing wrong with a bit of dramatics, but it's very easy to do too much and get a little silly.

Quibbles aside, this has been one of my favourite books of the year and I can't wait to read more.

Book 2 - Desire Unchanged - March 2009
Book 3 - Passion Unleashed - April 2009

ARRAY(0xa6d92fa8)

Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel) by Larissa Ione (Mass Market Paperback - 14 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01