5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!
Published on 28 Sep 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars More suitable for those not used to introspection and 'processing'
I was recommended this book by my councellor. I read enough of it to decide that it was more suitable for those who are not familiar with the process of introspection, internal reflection or 'self analysis'. For those people it may well be a valuable introduction to this aspect of self-awareness but for anyone with experience of these things, l found it a bit basic.
Published 5 months ago by C. Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 28 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal (Paperback)
This was the second book I bought about journal writing. I was so psyched while I was reading it that it gave me the incentive to continue. After reading it I started writing more about childhood memories. It also helped me to write better in one of the journals I already have. One journal I write in every year during family vacations. I only wished I had started earlier than 8 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool for journal writers., 13 April 1999
By A Customer
Since I began writing journals regularly five years ago, I've been on the lookout for books which will inspire me. This is one of my favorites. There is such a variety of exercises that you can find one to fit any style, whether you keep a strict ritual or are interested in trying new styles. I particularly related to the section about using journals as therapeutic tools. I tend to pull out this book whenever I'm looking for inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! I use the exercises every day!, 27 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I have read this book several times since meeting Kay through a friend last year. She's warm, thought provoking and very insightful - and the best part is this all comes across in her books. Journal to the Self has helped me in ways I couldn't have imagined - it will help you too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent begining to journalling, 10 Mar 2008
I always thought that writing a journal would be a waste of time, but this book has changed my views completely. The book takes you gently into the wonderful world of journalling and how it can impact your life. The various ways to begin writing a journal; stream of conscious, using spring boards, dialoging, writing lists of 100 etc.

Its amazing and finally very useful to access resources that you never knew you had.

I heartily recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journal writing must for your library!, 14 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Whether this is your first venture into journaling or you are a veteran journaler, you will find fresh ideas and satisfying reading in Journal to the Self. Chocked full of journaling prompts and techniques that will have you feeling as though the author is holding your hand. She is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool for Both Experienced and Novice Journal Keepers, 10 April 2010
I bought this book to delve deeper into journaling. I have been keeping journals for 8 years, so I am certainly not new to it, and have tried many techniques but when I looked at the index it still seemed to offer new tools.

I read it within two days, and now it's all outlined and bookmarked all over the place. It's a great book, which besides delving into psyche of journal keepers, sharing people's experiences, also offers easy to use tools for any kind of journal keepers.

If you have never kept a journal, this will get you started, give you options of what/how you can write, new techniques for you to explore. If you are experienced, you will still find things in here to inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guidebook for journalling., 8 Jun 2013
This book was easy to read, interesting, and put the ideas (of which there are many in this book) across in a friendly way. You can tell the authour knows her subject, as although this is a relaxed book, she still speaks with an air of authority. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and helpful, 18 Feb 2010
Journal writing is not something I had thought about before reading this book. After reading it I immediately went out, bought a notebook and began. The ideas and practices laid out in this book are very easy to follow and the examples given with them are very helpful in understanding the insight writing can offer. The author is an excellent guide, I'd recommend this book to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Journal To The Self, 2 April 2012
Kathleen Adams has written a superb book about the art of writing and keeping a Journal. I have always kept a Diary and a Journal but had become a bit bored with my own entries...till I read this book. The first chapters were interesting and informative and re-awakened the fact that keeping a Journal is therapeutic, as well as fun and relaxing. But, Section Two, The Journal Toolbox, was particularly interesting to me and a great tool for learning new ways to recall memories, use lists and clustering ideas and "talk" with friends or foes through the art of creative writing. I really enjoyed this book. It's a treasure trove of ideas and I would highly recommend it to anyone who suffers the occasional writers block, or needs to have their creative spirit woken up! It's a great read and a book which you will probably find yourself using over and over...and not collecting cobwebs on a shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top five books on contemporary journaling., 27 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Kathleen Adams life is journal keeping and this book reflects the passion she has for using writing to enrich our lives. The Director of the Center for Journal Therapy in Colorado, and the author of several journaling texts, including a workbook that accompanies this book, Journal to the Self ranks with the works of Ira Progoff, Tristine Rainer, Christina Baldwin and Natalie Goldberg, in my estimation. Every serious journal keeper should have Kay's books in their collections. She also offers workshops throughout the United States and is a facilitator second-to-none.