5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide
Published on 28 Jun 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid information albeit dated...
Published on 14 July 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide, 28 Jun 1999
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
This is one of the most valuable and useful books I've ever read. Until I read this book I had no idea how to dress appropriately for business situations. Now I can dress right for any situation (if I want to) and don't have to spend lots of money buying the latest fashion. It's not a matter of trying to impress other people, but knowing what's appropriate to wear in various situations, and taking control of how others will perceive you. I agree it would be very helpful to have an updated version (by the same author only). However, that does not diminish the value of this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Molloy Hits the Mark, But An Update Is Needed, 22 Jun 1999
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
After reading Dress for Success numerous times, I feel it is of great help in informing men on such topics as how a shirt should fit, how to tie a tie, how to get a suit fitted, etc. However, in the last ten-plus years corporate dress has changed more than in any previous period. The reader today has to keep in mind that the book was written in 1988 and as such should be considered in the proper context. Subsequently, it does not take into consideration the proliferation of casual attire in the business environment, and it predominantly considers how to dress like an executive, which may not be possible for an entry to middle level manager on a limited budget, even if clothing is bought on sale. The notion of borrowing to build a wardrobe also seems outdated. Today, society has become considerably more conscious of value and is less likely to drop large amounts on wardrobe. It is often hard to visualize what is meant by soft blue, light blue, midrange blue, dark blue, navy blue, etc. Some closeups of fabric swatches would help. As a college student, it would help if a whole chapter were devoted to college interviewing rather than a few pages.
All in all, the book is a great asset for any man, but an updated version would be of great benefit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid information albeit dated..., 14 July 1997
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
This book is one of only a few that talks about dressing for success based on years of dedicated research. Did you know that wearing a black raincoat pegs you as low class in the eyes of others? Neither did I until I read this book. What it will tell you is what suits, ties, etc. are associated with people in positions of power so that you may better dress the part. What it won't offer you is practical advice on how to select a good suit and the essential accessories. Above all, however, it is difficult to read this book without feeling that although it was published in 1995, it hasn't been seriously updated since 1988. $14 for a nice silk tie? Paisley still an acceptable option for the boardroom? Give me a break. All and all, a great place to start, but not the comprehensive modern reference for men's dress that it could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoped to find an updated version available!, 5 May 1998
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
I purchased the 1975 edition of this book in 1982. I have referred to it religiously for the past 16 years for guidance on acceptable colors, materials and patterns as well as proper fit and acceptable accessories. It has served me well. I recently picked it up and realized that my copy was almost 23 years old! I'm sure some changes have occurred in conservative men's fashions ( prevalence of silk summer jackets which Mr. Molloy says is unacceptable ). I was hoping to find a very recent edition of this book, but realize the last update was 1988. Seems like a waste of money to buy this edition. I will wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still useful, 22 Sep 1997
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
Dress for Success is dated now by almost ten years, and it would be worthwhile for a newer edition to see how the late 90's business world views clothing. Molloy obviously writes for the affluent market and much of his advice is aimed at those who can afford the services of a custom tailor or the more expensive off-the-rack suits rather than those who can afford to buy at J. C. Penny. While his price information is out of date, he still gives useful advice on the selection of color and material based on body size and shape, as well as the fitting of a suit (a proper fit will make a cheaper suit look better than an expensive one poorly fitted) that I have not found elsewhere, and his advice on accessories is not bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Lives To Its Name (Dress for Success)., 24 Jun 1998
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
Back in 1987 when I was an insurance agent then, I obtained a copy of this book. It helps me to be a #1 outstanding salesman and a smart dresser. It helps me to sell my products, myself and my company. I was promoted to a managerial position in 1988, and was also rated agent of the year. But later a personal friend of mind borrowed this valuable book from me and since then had failed to return it. INDEED, IF ONE WANTS TO BE SUCCESSFUL, HE NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK. Thanks to its writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Out of Fashion, 12 Aug 2003
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
This book contains information which is the basis of all proper dress. Anyone in a position of responsibility should be able to take the core information given and apply it to 'suit the times'. Psychology and fluffy self esteem sentimentalism may alter 'the times', but the premise, guidelines, and essentials contained within Dress for Success bespeak respectability and responsibility: qualities that should never 'change with the times'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for an update., 4 July 1998
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
I started with the 1975 edition when I was fresh out of college, and have followed his guidlines ever since. His advice has saved tons of money on useless "whimsical fashion" no one needs. Now I am a banking executive (thanks partly to Mr. Molloy) who needs some timely advice. The earlier editions do contain some information that is timeless, but times have changed and even the 1988 version is out of date and needs help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Although apparently out-dated, it still applies, 22 Jan 1999
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
I'll agree, I was skeptical about reading a book on dressing for success that is 10 years old, however the underlying concepts do hold true yet today. One thing I think we all need to remember is, the people making the decisions about hiring us or promoting us are generally 'old school'. They believe what is in this book. I don't think you can go wrong by reading and following it.

3.0 out of 5 stars We men need a new update for the new millennium!, 19 Dec 1997
This review is from: John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success (Paperback)
I will keep this short and to the point. We men need a new and updated version for the new millennium. This book is now nine years old. Our business fashions do not change as fast as women's but they do continue to evolve. A lot has changed during those nine years. The basics and color advice is good but we now need more up to date information.

John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success
John T. Molloy's New Dress for Success by John T. Molloy (Paperback - 28 Jan 1988)
Used & New from: £2.59