Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2011
The detectives are Frank Abbott and Ernest Lamb, who later featured as major recurring characters in the Miss Silver series. I believe there are two other books with Abbott and Lamb - Who Pays the Piper and Pursuit of a Parcel. It is interesting to see the characters in the early stages of their careers and development. The plot is a enjoyable whodunnit in a similar style to later Patricia Wentworth books. I would recommend it particularly to Miss Silver fans who will enjoy reading about the early Abbott and Lamb.
on 9 August 2014
Retread after about fifty years not one of her best by a long way, but I find all her books pleasantly nostalgic. I wish one didn't have to have pages describing Miss silver's clothes , furniture and knitting every time, but I suppose it is necessary for new readers.Anyway, I've almost worked through the lot now (I already own a very large number in paper or hardback, and it's been good fun. I do wonder, though, if village life was really like that (murders apart). I was alive throughout the period (I am 93) but lived in towns.
on 3 March 2015
Exactly as described. Very satisfied.