Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 December 2014
Masses of information I didn't know before. A fascinating read.
on 18 October 2013
This book changed the way I think about food and more importantly the way I eat.
I knew sugar was bad for me but I didn't realise how bad it was.
Read it if you are interested in food and nutrition.
on 1 July 2015
Must read for everyone! Excellent service
on 9 November 2013
A book that everyone should read if you're caring about your diet!!
A very interesting piece of work and some deep dive in some dark american history.
on 1 April 2013
Reading this book is a bit like listening to a rant of a slightly odd uncle, rather than a university lecture on food and nutrition science. It is intersperses common sense with history and demagogy. While some of this books seems like utter b...., after a while one realises that the author’s main strength is not the accuracy or his claims, but in the way he challenges the readers convictions and assumptions on food and nutrition and in the common sense guidelines he offers.

The book’s main antagonist is sugar, sugar in its refined pure state and the author’s main claim is that for some people eating this refined sugar severely affects their metabolism and even psyche, and that it induces the ‘sugar blues’.

As someone who while not a diabetic still experienced regular sugar lows, I recognised many of the symptoms of this ‘sugar blues’, and decided that as the author was not suggesting anything fancy or pricy, just that I stop having sugar that it was worth trying.
To my own surprise, I do feel lots better now. I no longer feel the urge to eat every couple of hours, I do not feel low if I don’t. I feel hunger in my stomach now and no longer in my head. At the same time I have lost a lot of weight. While this might not have the same effect on everybody, it is something that I would suggest anyone tries.

I do sometimes still have odd days when I’m off, but they have been fairly contained and the result of a change in my diet. Overall this book has been a life changer for me.
on 13 January 2014
I haven't yet read it, but with all the recent media on 'Sugar' I feel that I was well advised in getting it - feel ahead of the game!
on 10 December 2013
Happy with the product. Sugar is so so bad for you and its in so many things that we don`t even realise !
on 23 November 2011
I Loved reading Sugar Blues, I feel I learnt so much about sugar and how it effects our bodies. However I feel the author is too extreme and is completely against sugar consumption. I completely agree that excess sugar consumption will lead to ill health, however, have any studies been done to see if people who stuck to the recommended 90g (30 natural) of sugar per day will develop illnesses such as diabetes? Or those strong-willed individuals who only have sweet food occasionally?

Also, William Dufty mentions that brown sugar is just refined sugar with molasses added for colour, however is Unrefined sugar (e.g Billington's)is just as bad if used in moderation?
on 12 May 2014
Read a lot of positive reviews before buying the book, and as I am one of the people who may not eat a lot of sugar, but definitely crawes it. I thought this book would make it easier for me to not endulge in this drug sometimes. But I all though interessting, it didn't really provide me with any information I didn't already had. So, didn't serve the purpose of scaring me into not eating sugar, but it did gave me some stuf to think about. But must admit that I didn't read it completely as I found it to be a bit too heavy.
on 11 April 2016
Arrived quickly. Every one should read this book and it is eye opening.