5.0 out of 5 stars 'Falling Angel' vs 'Angel Heart'
I wish I'd read the book before seeing Alan Parker's remarkable screen adaptation 'Angel Heart'. The potent imagery of the (fairly faithful) film version casts a long shadow over the source material and the shock of the horrific ending is inevitably spoiled. This is a shame as 'Falling Angel' is itself first-rate, and by the time I was about a third through, I felt the...
Published on 27 May 2008 by Clive P L Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Satanism, New York, graphic content
This book belongs to the genre "Satanists in New York" - Seventh Victim, Rosemary's Baby. It was written in 1978, and set in 1958, which makes it read a little oddly at times. We're so solidly in the 1958 city (I'm sure the author researched cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, streets, seedy businesses like Olga's Electrolysis). But the sex and violence are from 1978 - no...
Published on 12 July 2011 by L. R. Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars A creepy story that's deep & thoughtful. Very good., 11 Jan. 2015
I loved this! I saw the film version of this with Robert Deniro and Mickey Rourke and at the time, I thought it was amazing. So creepy. So scary. It's also a period piece, which i really liked. I think it's set in the 50's in New Orleans (and I love New Orleans). I can't say how much I loved this story by William Hjortsberg!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, great film, 14 Aug. 2013
One of the all time great films, the book on which it is based is well worth reading. Well written, compelling narrative, I couldn't get the 'frame by frame' similarities with the movie out of my mind, but enjoyed following the compelling storyline down to its chilling denouement.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor to Chandler..., 1 April 2015
A well-developed plot. Hjortsberg is a worthy successor to Raymond Chandler. Intrigued by the surprise ending ... which almost suggest a sequel to see if the hero manages to escape the hole he's dug himself into (or that has been very cleverly dug for him).

2.0 out of 5 stars with excellent details of New York locations, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
Wanted it because of the film. Intriguing, with excellent details of New York locations, and well enough written, but ultimately too way-out, with finale a bit lame, and disappointing.(Film made better job !!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, super twist, 11 Nov. 2013
I haven't seen the film, which probably helps. I thoroughly enjoyed this. The twist leaves you thinking and reviewing key scenes in the context of the new information.

5.0 out of 5 stars better then the film !, 27 May 2014
Silverdolphin23 (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Gripping story- I'm a fan of the film 'Angel Heart' but have eventually come on to the book, here. Very glad to have done so as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars He said he is delighted at last to get a hardback copy of a ..., 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Falling Angel (Hardcover)
This was purchased as a gift for my Dad for Christmas. He said he is delighted at last to get a hardback copy of a book he loves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
If you like the film 'Angel Heart' then you will like the book. Took me a while to source this at a reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the book. And as long as you haven't worked it out the end is very exciting. I didn't work it out

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
I enjoyed the book but the ending was a bit of a disappointment

Falling Angel
Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1987)
Used & New from: £10.91