on 21 March 2009
I couldn't put this book down. Faith did a brilliant job in explaining, relaying and somehow pulling you, extremely well, in to her life from grass roots level. For me it was almost as though I was right with her through the good and the bad.

This is a really good read and I have so much respect for her. This book demonstrates her stength and drive. It is also extremely good at showing her passionate (I am Faith Evans) side mingled nicely together with her domestic (I am mum) side) as well as her I will achieve (career) side.

Absolute must read for all those that like to be inspired, her side of the story and insight into the record business. Great Book!!!
on 23 July 2010
Okay it's been almost a decade since i got my hands on an unputdownable book!!! and even though i expected it to be a bit informing or okay i didn't expect to be so intensely drawn in... you just couldn't fake it, she was talking about HER real life to the WORLD.. i really commend her honesty and bravery. I felt just like that teenager making a truckload of mistakes, felt her excitement at her miraculous break in the industry and felt an eerie sense of grief as she lost her first husband and the battle to save what they had, exposed unknown characters i.e charlie baltimore!...can't say much more. A neccessary purchase, you get morrrreeee than your money's worth!, just short of words...
on 5 August 2009
I LOVED THIS BOOK IT WAS VERY ENTERTAINGING AND KEPT MY ATTENTION, I THINK I FINISHED IN ABOUT 3-5 DAYS. I WAS SO INSPIRED ABOUT THE BOOK THAT I CAME A BIT OF A FAN OF FAITH EVANS AND BEGAN RESEARCHING HER AND ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE SHE MENTIONED IN THE BOOK. THIS IS A DEFINATE GOOD READ.
on 17 December 2013
A very honest account of experiences of growing up as a black female artist in the music industry during the 90's. Some of the experiences discussed in this book were quite painful to read but, this is a book of hope, determination and spirituality.
on 30 December 2013
I'd heard of Faith Evan's bio back when it was first released but never bothered to get it. But after reading a few other ones I decided to give this one a try. And I'm glad I did! This was a really personal and spiritually enlightening read. I learned so much just by reading about her dysfunctional relationships. For the people on here saying that there are parts missing or that her behavior doesn't make sense or isn't consistent- nothing could be further from the truth. The biography is psychologically viable. You either get who she is as a person or you don't (most introverts are misunderstood anyway). There are a few things to note. The first thing is that you don't go through a physically abusive violent relationship where you are kicked and punched in the face and end up unaffected. Not only does it traumatize you emotionally, but this type of trauma effects the part of your brain that is responsible for decision-making and other core functions. So, some of the spontaneous, impulsive things that she does do not surprise me. And considering everything that she went through she comes off as being quite determined, strong-willed and independent to still make it through and keep going. The second thing to note is that all the beat-downs of other women, far from being funny are the result of "identification-with- the-abuser-syndrome". Having been abused by someone more powerful, she then turns that behavior and aggression towards someone with less power where she can get away with it i.e other women. And many women who've been beaten by men do this. Next thing to note is that Puffy is a narcissist. I hope she doesn't for one moment believe that some of the stunts he pulled (won't create spoilers!) were by accident. He did the same thing to Mark Curry. That's what you get when you don't do what a narcissist wants. Faith is lucky that she had a support system and industry connections to back her up plus her own talent and drive and ambition, otherwise Puffy would have raked her over the coals and discarded her like he did the many others. That said, the descriptions of the encounters she has with him and others are inadvertently funny. This book also finally explained to me the *mystique* of Biggie. I've never quite understood his appeal to women. But Faith broke it down. I found myself understanding. Far from not containing lots of information about their relationship like another reviewer said, on the contrary I found what she wrote to be very revealing about the type of relationship they had. The truth- and this was very obvious to see- was that Biggie played all of them (I'm a Lil Kim fan but she does not come off well here.LOL.) From their first encounter you could tell that it was going to be a one-sided relationship with Big always taking and running back and forth between the other mistresses whenever it suited him. It was just another one in a long line of dysfunctional relationships she had. That said, they were quite young, being fresh out of their teens. I'm glad things resolved themselves in her love life the way they did. In short, Faith's success in the industry seems to be due for the most part to her hustle (and being light-skinned. LOL). I was impressed by how much she went through and how hard-working she was at that age- balancing the kids with the career and all the drama. She deserves all the success she has. I would give this 5 stars but for all the beat downs. Just kidding. Great read- thoroughly enjoyable.
on 9 November 2009
Faiths Memoir for me was truly an inspirational read, in all honesty apart from listening to her music and knowing of her Marriage to Biggie I really didn't know anything about Faith however since reading her book I feel like one of her best friends and we have travelled her journey together.

Faiths Memoir is inspirational,a very interesting read and is also something that most us women are able to relate to in some way or another and although I don't know her I feel truly proud of all that she has achieved and accomplished.

Well done girl!

DD xx
on 18 November 2015
I purchased this in the summer of 2014 and the main reason for doing so was to hear her "side of the story", and I certainly was not disappointed.
I can honestly say, this book Is a must read for anyone who loved hip/hop and r&b music throughout the 1990's. I sat down in the summer and read roughly 2 chapters per time. I could not put it down and finished it very quickly. It covers all bases, including her turbulent relationship with Notorious B.I.G, her early music struggles, finally securing a major label deal and finding love, success and happiness but not without hard times and heartbreak.

She talks about her daughter alot and her friendship with Mary J Blige, interestingly she also has surprising words about her feelings towards rapper Lil Kim. The whole "Tupac" rumours are certainly straightened out in this book and so much more. She comes across as a really genuine woman who has come through so much pain and tragedy but bears the scars proudly and is very unapologetic about all the feats she has faced.

A must read for anybody who is curious about what was really happening in the rap and R&B music scene during the 90's, a time which arguably was the most exciting period to be both an artist and a consumer of the industry.
Go buy it, you WON'T be disappointed.
on 17 December 2012
Some of the stuff that went on was sure a hot mess! But the main thing is that she regained this faith in her gift & the fact she had to start standing up for herself in the Independence she had & not sleeping with the first 'cute' guy. But she had to learn the VERY hard way I guess & I do however respect her for being brutally honest because not many people will own up to doing these sort of things. Alot of the relationship stuff goes for anyone young tbh, who starts dating at that young age especially with a man allot older & obviously molded her way of dealing with the relationships she went on later in life. The truth remains!
on 10 February 2010
I read this book in two days !!! It was a birthday gift so it came on monday and by yesterday evening I finished it !!!! Faith has come a very long way and I believe all that she has been through has made her a stronger woman she doesnt sugar coat the things she encountered or pretend that she is innocent (as she gave a hell of alot of beatdowns) I am glad she wrote the book and I would read it again !!!!
on 3 July 2009
Keep the Faith: A Memoir
I could NOT put this book down, she tells you how it is. For years I have had the worng impression of her and now I admire her and respect her so much. I wished this book went on forever and I will have to read it again some day. AMAZING WOMEN!!