5.0 out of 5 stars Nursing Calculations - for people who don't like numbers!
Published on 10 Nov 2003 by Sarah Cocking

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but newer books offer more
This book is OK but it does not cover clinical calculations and medication administration. The following books offer more scope:
Published on 21 May 2009 by nurscaly

5.0 out of 5 stars Nursing Calculations - for people who don't like numbers!, 10 Nov 2003
Sarah Cocking (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
I am a first-year student nurse and this book is only the second I have purchased. As part of one of our modules we have do a numeracy test, the questions of which are similar to those in this book. Now that I have read the book and actually enjoyed completing the exercises I am confident that I can successfully complete the numeracy test and the further calculations tests we have to do in subsequent years. It doesn't just tell you what's right, it shows you (through worked calculations) HOW it's right - buy it now and you will never be fazed by decimals, mg/mcg and fractions again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed to get my brain back on track!, 20 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
A clear, concise format that is easy to use. The plain English content made for easy access and the informative, straightforward explanations made calculations easy to understand. Ideal for both beginner and those a little rusty in processes of mathematical calculations relating to the nursing profession.The test and answer approach made it easy to deduce the level of help you required. A must for both students and trained nurses. I shall be keeping my copy in my pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars nursing calculations for the terrified, 14 April 2006
J. Collings (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
This book is really great for mathematicians of the future and those of us whose only maths is trying to work out our credit card bill!

Having a maths test in the first module of the common foundation year, is no joke. Panicking, I set off to find a useful book and finding the uni recommended one out of stock, I picked up this one instead. I couldn't have made a better choice. The book covers everything you need to get you motivated for learning nursing calculations.

The author begins with a self-assessment test. You then move on to basic maths, from the usual add, subtract, multiply and divide, to working with fractions, decimals and converting one to the other. One of my problems, is working out where the decimal point should be, particularly on numbers <1. This book explains this point very easily.

The book then goes on to discuss the various nursing calculations required for drugs, which are too numerous to cover here, but include general information, calculations related to bodyweight and paediatric calculations. The latter really interested me, as I am in the child health branch.

At the time of writing, I am still working through the general maths section and actually finding it challenging and yes, enjoyable! It did help in my maths test and the only points I lost, were for rushing through the questions too much.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I recommend this book very highly, to anyone entering the nursing profession. It is equally suitable for students, as for those qualified nurses, who want to revise their maths. It should, in my opinion, be on the recommended reading list, of every UK university.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very helpful for student nurses, 9 July 2004
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
When starting the nursing diploma i had completely forgotten all the maths i learnt at school. I bought this book to see if it would help me and it's amazing how much i now understand.
The only problem with this book is that the description of how to do certain sums aren't always very clear and it can take a while to see what they are saying.
However, i would definately reccomend this book to anyone starting the course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nursing Calculation *****, 7 Dec 2007
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
I found this book really helpful to get me started with drugs calculations in my first year. Now I am in my second year, I still dip into the book when I have a test coming up to refresh my memory about the basics. I would recommend this book to any nursing student. It is really easy to understand and if I can do it, anyone can!!! I had another nursing calculation book that I actually gave away because I could not get on with it but I love this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in its field, 2 Mar 2008
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
Love, love, LOVE this book! This is like the idiots guide to drug calculations. No time wasting! No pages and pages of reading! Just practice practice practice with explainations and answers. Why else would we all be raving about this book if its not excellent? Love it! I would not hesitate to recommend this book to everyone in healthcare responsible for administering drugs (I am a student midwife).

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but newer books offer more, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
Davisons "Numeracy and Clinical Calculations" which covers a range of clinical calculations seen on the ward; "How to Master Nursing Calculations" which covers medication administration records,the "Student Nurse Maths and Medications Survival Guide" which is a handy pocket size without practice questions. "Drug calculations for Nurses" (Lapham) is a classic book but goes to a higher level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recomendation for any nusing student., 24 Feb 2008
Ms. S. Costello (Luton, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
I would reccomend this book to any student nurse. I am now in my third year and I still use this book to refresh my memory before a drugs calculation test. It has lots of calculations for you to practice with and is a must if you struggle with things like IV calculations. Easy to use and understand. The best book I have found to help me with my drugs calculations.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 6 April 2013
very detailed analysis of how to calculate
even the lay person will understand the formular used in the book
it also covers everything either a newly qualified/experienced nurses need to know

i will definitely recommend all nurses acquire one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Nursing Calculations (Paperback)
This item is great for starting out with calculations but it can also be used later on in more advanced calculations. This item should always be on a nurses booklist.

ARRAY(0xb3ca95b8)

Nursing Calculations
Nursing Calculations by N. Phillips (Paperback - 17 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01