5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for medics...
Published on 23 Sep 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on levels of info needed
I bought this book after reading the reviews on here which appeared to say that was probably the best pharmacology book available. I have found as a med student, there is often not enough information on specific drugs and their actions, and many drugs aren't in the book at all. Myself would recomend Lange instead.
Published on 16 Jan 2006 by Mr. Hywel Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for medics..., 23 Sep 2004
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
This textbook covers everything anyone could ever need - it goes into plenty of detail, explains things clearly and simply, and has a separate section for drugs used in neuroscience. I found it fantastic for both first and second year medicine, and couldn't have done without it for timed essays and tutorials. A sound investment which i will definitely be using during the third year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The main reason I'm a Pharmacist, 21 Aug 2006
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
An absolute gem of a book. Probably the best value for money from any book i purchased in my MPharm degree. I totaly recommend it for any body who needs an indepth knowledge of pharmacology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful text, 20 Sep 2004
Nancy Kane (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
As a final year biomedic, I've been using Rang since my first year. It's an excellent text, and worth having around even if it's not one of your 'essential reading' items, as it has tons of useful info on different drugs and their mechanisms of action. I've found myself in the middle of a physiology course before now thinking to myself "Yikes, I've never heard of this! Better check in Rang", and I know people on very diverse courses (pharmacology [obviously], physiology, medical microbiology, medicine - and others) that do the same.
The writing is very clear and easy to follow. Each drug (or family of drugs) is divided into sections such as Pharmacokinetics, clinical use, method of action, etc., and compared to other compounds with similar properties, with lots of tables and diagrams along the way to make things that little bit clearer.
The price is comparable to everything else on the market, but this is definitely an excellent investment. You'll use it throughout your degree and (my tutor has a copy nestled on his bookshelf) probably beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pharmacology Text Book, 13 Nov 2005
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
Having spent 4 years studying Pharmacology it's my opinion that this series is the best overall text book for the subject. I got through my BSc with the 4th Edition and it was always the starting point for any research I did.
It doesn't have all the detail needed for a decent essay or other research; you'll always need to cite journals and more specific text books. But, it gives you concise and clear information on almost anything Pharmacology.
The 5th Edition (I've had my copy for about 2 months now) seems to be a big improvement from the 4th. It's bigger and obviously updated.
A MUST for any Pharmacology student. Cough up the money, it's well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jun 2004
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
This famous book has a large scope to cover, but it copes admirably with its task. Terminology is explained in simple language throughout, making it more readable than you might expect. The lack of a glossary of key terms and principles means that you will have to rummage when revising those definitions, but the appendix of drugs lists will be useful.
Throughout, little boxes state key and clinical information, which are handy for revision, although more detail might have been useful in places. The diagrams use real data and are clear and concise. Tables are excellent, cross-referencing to other chapters when possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
This book contains absolutely everything you will need to know in Pharmacology univeristy course units. The text is very small, so can get a bit boring reading it but, like I say, there's a hell of a lot of stuff crammed in there. Lot of diagrams and text boxes to summarise the heavy stuff. Definitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only Pharmacology text you'll ever need?, 26 Jun 2003
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
It is now six years since I sat my finals and had cause to use Rang, Dale & Ritter's excellent textbook in earnest, however even now I find myself turning to the book when I need to determine why a patients results don't fit the expected patterns. This book is an invaluable source for all students of pharmacology as well as biochemists wishing to make sense of the apparently nonsensical.

5.0 out of 5 stars very well explained, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
This book was not bought as a textbook but rather a book to read at my spare time. So I didn't buy the newer edition but instead went for the cheap old second-handed one. Hopefully the information is not dramatically out-dated!

Regardless of the timeliness concern, I have to say this book is very well explained and illustrated. It's a huuuuuge book too, with a wide wide coverage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for enhancing my knowledge, 5 Sep 2013
Monifieth Housewife (Monifieth, Angus, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
I am starting 3rd year of nursing degree programme and this book gives me a little support on my drugs knowledge. I bought a nearly new version and it is in excellent condition. Would not consider buying at full price as is not yet on my recommending reading list so felt the 2nd hand price was well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pharmacology (Paperback)
Bought to help a University student family friend. Arrived well packaged within 48 hours. The book was in exactly the condition described ie hardly used/ very good. I cannot make any comment about the contents of the book but our friend says it has surpassed his expectations. I was thrilled with the service. A great buy and highly recommended seller.

Pharmacology
Pharmacology by Philip Moore (Paperback - 20 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: 4.23