4.0 out of 5 stars Good Helpful Book!, 15 Aug 2005
P (Liverpool, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tutorials in Differential Diagnosis, 4e (Beck tutorials) (Paperback)
More and more people have to sit exams which are problem based - i.e. a patient presents with symptoms and signs and you have to start thinking about differentials. I found this book very helpful for my exams since I have to sit such papers.
While revising I was able to go over a general presentation e.g. Dyspnoea, and then read about the main differentials. This is opposed to most books which are either system based, or disease orientated. A most thoughtful layout therefore, since most patients don't walk into hospitals or GP surgeries with the 2 latter formats!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tutorials in Differential Diagnosis (Beck tutorials), 6 Feb 2010
L. Ferguson "Reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
A well written book packed with information including symptoms, tests and management of diseases. Takes the Functional Medicine approach. Readable and printed on quality paper, which makes it attractive so I am more likely to refer to this one before I pick up one of the more hefty books in my collection. But being a tutorial, it does not cover every condition you may be dealing with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opinion, 3 Aug 2013
A very very good book. Having done the job 35 years now it is still exciting and inspiring medical reading. Makes you think and thats good for the brain. I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had found it sooner., 19 Mar 2013
I stumbled upon this book in the library as I was looking for Symptom Sorter - another book on DDx. This is so much better. Symptom Sorter is a essentially a book with lists. I HATE learning lists. This book has a presenting complaint and goes on to explain the symptom as well the differentials in adequate detail to understand the disease. It says what you'd look for in Hx and Ex and also briefly about Investigations. I only wish I had this on Day 1 of my clinical years. No matter, I'm only in 4th year now. I'll be hanging on to this book for as long as I can.

This book wont be a substitute for your core medicine text. E.g. Kumar and clarke, or Lim, Loke and Thompson. But it doesn't claim to be. However, it is fantastic for students to help them with differentials.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to forming differential diagnoses, 28 Sep 2011
Used this book at the start of my clinical school education. Pretty good text, gives you a framework for working through common differentials, with some accompanying text for each case study - a helpful learning aid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, 1 Mar 2011
I have to admit that one of the authors was my boss as a pre-registration houseman (the old name for an F1) so I declare a bias but not without reason. These are excellent hands-on clinicians. The views expressed here distill a huge amount of experience,understanding and insight. I bet if you read this as a student you would think it seems too difficult. Six months later as an F1 you will be gripped by every word because it addresses exactly the sorts of scenario that, in a a medical role, you will have seen and struggled with. Suddenly the reality of differential diagnosis makes sense. You want to be able to do that yourself because that's what being a clinician demands. Isn't that why you're a doctor? You couldn't have a better springboard than this. Well worth every penny in my view. And it helped me pass Membership - so it's one of those I'd still take to a desert island.

Tutorials in Differential Diagnosis, 4e (Beck tutorials)
Tutorials in Differential Diagnosis, 4e (Beck tutorials) by Diana Holdright (Paperback - 11 July 2003)
32.99