on 24 September 2001
Well, it must be said that "Walter and Miller's Textbook of Radiotherapy" is one of those books that one will treasure for the rest of ones life.
CK, IH and SB you are gods!
Hyperbole is rarely invoked in the area of radiotherapeutic writing but in this instance it is rather justified.
It got a motley group of radiotherapy students through three years of essays - it featured in every one! (I seem to remember putting something from it in one on ethics.)
However, this is not just a memoir. It is an almost serious review. This is the best introductory textbook about. While the DCR syllabus, with the qualification, has faded from the collective mind, the book based loosely on it still draws the reader to an understanding of the topic in practically all chapters.
I say "practically" because I am unsure that radiobiology, and especially the alpha-beta ratio, made any more sense to me after reading the chapter on it than it did before. Then I have never meet anyone who had the ability to both a) understand and b) explain this topic. Perhaps it is just my being dim though - and I will admit too the likelihood of this.
Okay, graphically it could do with an overhaul and the world moves on - the cancer world in particular. Some bits are now rather dated. Darn those pesky eurocrats for occasioning the update of the IRR's for instance. But this is still a useful guide. And I use it frequently to explain to non-oncology colleagues working in the area of systematic reviews in cancer what the whole business is all about.
Wait a minute, did I say it needs an overhaul - guess what - it's getting one! Yea for the Sheffielders. I cannae wait. Now to persuade my boss to buy it for me.
PS I am still a bit aggrieved that there be an oncologist and a brace of physicists among the authors and nary a radiographer in sight. We (or rather "they" as I made like a rat on a sinking ship and left to work in a cushy university job) do have something to offer.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again