Published on 27 Sep 2011 by Stella (Ex Libris)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sins of the Angels: Review
Sins of the Angels and The Grigori Legacy have been on my want to read pile for a while, I just never added it to my Amazon basket for various reasons. Knowing Linda Poitevin through Twitter made me feel a little guilty about it, but it just wasn't the right time. When I did get my hands on a copy of Sins of the Angels I was really looking forward to starting it...
Published 19 months ago by Becki Weston

5.0 out of 5 stars An electric, thrilling and extremely intelligent new UF series!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy) (Mass Market Paperback)
It has been some time when I last read a book which sucked me in and held me in such death grip that I couldn't go to sleep and had to stay awake until 3am (on a weekday!) until I finished the story. And even after that I was pulsing with excitement and if I had Book #2 on hand I have no doubt I would have started reading it right away, not caring that I would have to get up in 4 short hours to go to work. That's how thrilling and amazing Linda Poitevin's urban fantasy debut novel is!

I was completely enthralled by Linda Poitevin's lyrical prose, her poetic descriptions were so evocative and vivid, the raw emotions squeezing my own heart:

The ache exploded, scattering its searing fragments throughout his body, spreading until it claimed every corner of his being as its own.

Her throat closed. Memories shifted in the long-ignored recesses of her mind, then began rising to the surface. She tried her damnedest to stop what she knew was coming, but her attempts shredded like tissue-paper boats adrift in a hurricane. Ruthless images stabbed at her, each leaving a new hole in her decades-old defenses.

The complexity of the worldbuilding and how every minor detail was thought out was fascinating. In the Grigori Legacy series Linda Poitevin builds on common religious views and puts her own twist on them. I really enjoyed those parts of the novel where I learned more about the angel hierarchy and how the system works (that for example humans can reject their own guardian angels).

And now time for me to talk about the main characters.

Alex, our emotionally scarred heroine is a weathered and kickass cop. She lost her parents at an early age and tried her best to escape the shadows and nightmares of her traumatic childhood which still haunt her. Her strength and her not-backing-down attitude made her a worthy partner and opponent to any warrior angel, but it was her humanity and vulnerability which made her relatable and endeared her to me. And of course her dry humour was wonderful in lightening up the darkness of the story.

In face of Aramael's irritating behaviour(=every single breath he takes):

Alex summoned up a saccharine smile and reminded herself that cops had a moral obligation not to commit murder.

Aramael is an angel like no other you have heard/read about. He is no white-robed, peaceful and pure messenger of God, oh no, he is a fierce, cursing, dark and dangerous, warrior kind of angel.

Her partner, but not her partner, at the center of the kitchen, with massive wings rising more than a foot above his head and trailing nearly to the floor. Golden wings, their feathers alive with a fire that seemed to surround each and every one of them. Shimmering, pulsing, hypnotically beautiful fire.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see that Aramael wasn't one of those too-good-to-do-anything-interesting ninny angels, but a vibrant, dangerous, sword-wielding-warrior-of-Heaven kind of angel. The kind of angel which is much closer to the original depiction of angels in the Bible than that of current pop culture. Aramael's presence was impressive: whenever he was on the scene it was like a magnetic pull, not only Alex but the reader was drawn to him all the while knowing, feeling that this pull might be something fatal like flame to the moth, but impossible to resist nonetheless.

The chemistry between Alex and Aramael was earth-shattering. The air between these two pulsed with so much current that it was palpable even across the pages. Both Alex and Aramael are extremely well fleshed out, strong characters and together they are a force to reckon with. The forbidden nature of their relationship heightens the tension of their undeniable attraction to each other, an attraction both of them tries to fight, but which proves to be more powerful than their ability to resist.

"I can't feel this way about you," he muttered at last. Embers glowed among the ashes now. "I can't," he snarled. "Don't you understand? You have become the most important thing in my existence, and I am crippled by your very presence. Caim remains free because I cannot track him, cannot feel him. Because all I can feel is you."
What shook me was that the pull between Alex and Aramael ran deeper than just a physical, sexual attraction. They had a deeper connection, something which still remained a bit of a msytery at the end of Sins of the Angels and I cannot wait to learn and read more about them.

Besides the main characters Linda Poitevin introduces some interesting and entertaining supporting characters who I can't wait to see more of in later books (*hint* I'm talking of you Seth *hint*).

"Remember that, above all else, I demand faith from my angels. Not just trust."

Verdict: Sins of the Angels is a dark urban fantasy novel like you haven't read before. It is electric, thrilling and extremely intelligent. Linda Poitevin's worldbuilding is rich and layered and her writing is excellent. A fantastic new series which will appeal to urban fantasy, paranormal romance and thriller fans!

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Writing: 10/10 - wonderful!
Ending: 9/10
Cover: 10/10 - love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sins of the Angels: Review, 30 Jan 2013

Sins of the Angels surprised me, because as I understood it, it focused on Angels so I went into it expecting a typical urban fantasy novel with a side of crime genre. This was not what I got. First and foremost Sins of the Angels is crime fiction - a detective novel, that just so happens to have angels in it. To be honest the crime genre is pretty hit and miss with me, I much prefer watching events unfold rather than reading them unfold. Having said that, I quite enjoy dipping into an Agatha Christie novel or reading Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series. I also enjoy a good urban fantasy or paranormal with a dose of crime/detective fiction. And once I got used to the idea that Sins of the Angels was actually mainly a detective novel I fell into the story.

Linda Poitevin has obviously done a lot research for this novel. The crime scenes, and Detective Alexandra Jarvis seemed very realistic and believable. I actually enjoyed the contrast between the world of the police, and the world of the angels. Poitevin has also done a lot of research about the angel aspect of the novel, and what I really enjoyed was that she created her own characters and didn't just build on well-known angels/archangels like Gabriel or Michael.

Alex Jarvis was a really compelling character. I liked her in part because she was a strong believable female lead, and partly because she was what I'd want a good police officer to be - she believes in the law she upholds and she believes in justice. I also liked the fact that although she's a bit of a lone wolf, she has a strong connection with her sister. Aramael was . . . interesting. I found Aramael - and actually all the other angels - difficult to relate to, but I think Poitevin did this for a reason - because angels are different from humans, other.

If you like crime fiction and are looking for something with a bit of a twist then you should definitely consider reading Sins of the Angels. In the end I really enjoyed Sins of the Angels, and found myself at the end before I realised it so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Sins of the Son, the second book in the series, and finding out what happens next.

Originally posted on TheFlutterbyRoom.com

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic read! I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this book., 24 Feb 2014
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It's fair to say I read a heck of a lot of genre fiction, and because of that, and because I know paranormal and fantasy books aren't everyone's cup of tea, I can't often give blanket recommendations. Instead, it's usually with caveats like, "You might like this if you like books about angels", or "If you like to read about hot vampire sex, this might be your thing". This series, though, is so... classy, so well-written and intelligent, and the mystery/detective/serial killer hunt part of it so strong, that I would quite honestly say that even if you've never read a single paranormal novel in your life, you would enjoy this one. It reminded me very strongly of the In Death series by J.D Robb, only instead of futuristic SciFi elements, you have angels and demons.

Awesome!

Alexandra Jarvis is a homicide detective - a damn good one - who's haunted by a tragic past. When a series of brutal killings start bringing those once buried memories to the forefront of her mind again, it's really a test of her strength. When a new partner is assigned to her that is, on the one hand, the single most beautiful man she's ever seen, and on the other, the strangest, most disturbing man she's ever met, whose very nearness causes her to feel strange things, see things that can't possibly be there... We'll, it only adds more stress to an already trying time and, pretty soon, Alex begins to question her own sanity. Which in itself is a touchy subject for her and her family.

Not only does her new partner, Trent Jacob, bring out these unsettling, unexplainable feelings in Alex, but he also makes her uncomfortable at another level: he hates her. I mean like, hates her. Looks at her like something he just stepped in. Only not in an arrogant, pompous way. More like a "I would kill you this second if I thought I could get away with it" way. WTF?

There's obviously a lot more to it, and I thought the mythology and worldbuilding elements were fascinating and brilliantly entertaining. The plot moves at a super-fast clip as the killer's slayings escalate, and there's just no time for Alex to catch a breath. Everything was go, go, go from the first page, which I loved. I am looking forward, though, to maybe seeing more of Alex's softer side emerge in future books, when she's not having to be the badass cop 24 hours a day. Seriously, the girl doesn't sleep!

Speaking of future books... I'm actually terrified to go on in this series. Apparently, according to the law of Janice, as the books progress it becomes one of those series with plot twists that just totally knock you for six and rip your guts out on the way. A real humdinger that had Janice making incoherent noises down the phone at me after she finished book three, Sins of the Lost, last week. So now I'm kinda terrified and excited at the same time. I'm terricited! I don't know if it feels good or bad. I think I need someone to hold my hand through this difficult time!

So, to wrap this baby up, do I recommend this book? Well, that's and easy one—absolutely, positively, unequivocally, yes.

5 Stars ★★★★★

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT!, 18 May 2012
Review 6 out of 5

Homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis is trying to catch a serial killer, who is wreaking havoc in her city. Having a new partner assigned to her whilst in the middle of a case is the last thing she wanted. Jacob Trent is arrogant and totally uncooperative. However, if they are to catch the serial killer, they will both have to work together.
Working undercover with mortals goes against everything Aramael believes in, but with his brother's escape from limbo, he has no choice. Can Alex and Aramael work together as a team and catch Caim before he kills again? Will Alex find out Aramael is not who he seems?

I bought this book on a whim. I'm glad I did! It is a fantastic story that swept me away! This book has points of view from different characters, and this made it play out in my mind like a movie.
Homicide detective Alexandra Jarvis is a fascinating character. She is totally dedicated to her job, and is one of the top detectives in her branch. Her dedication comes at a price though. Her mother was schizophrenic, who killed her husband and herself when Alex was a child. Alex found her parents and their deaths have haunted her ever since.
Aramael is a Power, one of the hunters of the Heavenly realm that hunt the Fallen. When his brother escapes from limbo into the mortal world, Aramael is sent to guard Alex from him.
As I started reading this story, I thought it would be an Angel/Human romance novel. How wrong I was! Instead I began to read the most compelling detective novel with so many twists, turns and sub-plots that I was completely hooked! That's not to say that the attraction the two main characters felt for each other didn't almost burn the pages! However, they both fight the attraction for their own reasons. The main focus of the story however, was the gruesome murders committed by Caim. The ending left me with conflicted emotions, but I can honestly say that it wasn't what I expected.
Linda Poitevin has written a fantastic story that has left me wanting more. I am now looking forward to reading the second book, Sins of the Son. A word of caution: there are several instances of profanity peppered throughout the novel, so if you do not like swearing in your literature, I do not recommend this book to you. However, I highly recommend this book if you love reading a fantastic Urban Fantasy novel that gets your heart pumping!

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of an exciting new series, 19 Oct 2013
Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy)

Armageddon is coming and the Angels of Heaven are desperate to stop it before it destroys humanity - all of it, if the agreement made many thousands of years ago is to be believed.

Aramael, a Power amongst angels, is sent to hunt his Fallen brother in the human realm and return him to Limbo, the prison of "nothing" from where he'd escaped. But Caim believes the soul of a Nephilim could return him to heaven...

Enter Alex, a strong, determined homicide detective with a disturbed, painful childhood - a childhood that's looks to be coming back to haunt her. She is also a Nephilim descendent.

This is Urban Fantasy with a twist! Filled with suspense, it's a thrilling ride from first page to last. The characters are so human (sic!), with real fears, vulnerabilities, hopes and heartache. Ms Poitevin's approach of intertwining the 2 most supreme beings of the human universe into the weave, seen from their perspective, is utterly unique.

While not a particularly devout person, there were instances where I startled at the personalisation of Heaven and Hell - in a good way! Ms Poitevin's writing style grabbed me from the first page. She writes forcefully, with so much emotion, I often found my hand flying to my mouth in awe/trepidation/surprise when one action-filled instant rolled into the next.

I highly recommend this book (and hopefully the full series) as it delivered everything it promised to - and more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book!, 20 Jun 2013
Linda Poitevin sure knows how to create a wonderfully believable world.
The research she has done makes every detail spot on.
Her characters are brilliantly built and well rounded, you find yourself really gripped by their struggles.
I love the whole Grigori Legacy, absolutely fantastic.
Don't waste time reading reviews folk's, buy this book.
I can sincerely say this is the best book I've read in this genre in a long time. (And I'm a huge fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon etc etc)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 21 May 2013
Wonderfully written, a gripping story by a great author. The mythology behind the fiction is wonderfully entwined, and you simply cannot put the book down. I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series., 30 Dec 2012
FifiSer (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I gave this 5 stars because I just couldn't find fault with the story or any of the well fleshed out characterisations. The story is fast paced and I love the fact that Linda Poitevin's writing style is so vivid that I found myself longing for this to be made into a film. While stalking her website ( yes, I loved it that much!) I found that she includes a playlist that inspired her writing of some scenes and these tracks actually make them even more vivid. Detective Alexandra Jarvis is a very realistic protagonist and her attraction to Aramael is presented in a believable fashion.

Be warned, this is part of a series so don't expect everything to be resolved in this novel. In fact, the story, while not exactly ending on a cliffhanger, only resolves the primary plot line for this instalment. This is Urban Fantasy at its best - strong female lead, great characters, slow burn and developing love story and well - balanced action.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece without doubt!, 2 July 2012
My comfort zone is YA, you know? It's easy to read, entertaining and so complex that I don't usually feel like I've been missing something.
But sometimes I spot a book that it's out of that comfort zone and I wonder if I should read it. I don't usually surrender to these ideas. But this time I did.
And I loved it.

Sins of the Angels captured me with its wonderful cover: the contrast of the colors, the model's face, the way that simple alley looks so dangerous with the shadow of an angel above it... And the falling thunders that have a purpose in the book.
After seeing the cover I had to read the summary so off to Goodreads I went. It does sound good, interesting to say the least. But it doesn't do justice to the actual plot.

Never mind that, I bought Sins of the Angels and Sins of the Son -second book in the series- because I had faith that it would be so good I would want to continue with it. I'm so glad I bought both! Now I don't have to wait for the second to arrive, yay!

Putting the summary aside let me tell you something: This book is not about a woman and an angel teaming together to defeat a monster. It's about memories, about loss, about traumas that we wished we could forget, about the strength we humans have to fight for ourselves, about the love we recognize but sometimes we are too scared, too wounded, to acknowledge. About good and evil facing a battle that involves Luficer and God herself.
Yes, HERSELF, you read that write. Maybe a small detail but I was so thrilled to read about a female God that it made me love the book even more.

The characters are complex, each one of them have a purpose, a reason, a way to see things and be seen that makes them special. Alexandra Jarvis is strong and stubborn but at the same time hides some secrets that could break her in a heartbeat. One of her best qualities is her dry humor, she made me smile and laugh even when I thought it was impossible.
And Aramael (or Jacob in his human form) is fearless and focussed, dangerous and cursing; the only thing he lives for is the hunt... Or so he thought. To see his personality develop feelings that angels, and specially Powers like himself, were not supposed to feel was wonderful. The struggle felt so real I enjoyed every second of it.

The complexity of the world Linda created is amazingly well handed, every twist has a reason, every character background has a purpose and above all, having in consideration this was her debut novel, she thought of every single detail until the end. The angel hierarchy has her own original stamp in it.

There are books that are written to show different POV which can lead into a huge win or a huge loss. In this case it was amazingly done. I got to understand a little bit better the different personalities of the characters, what moved and stopped them, specially how they evolved.

If I have to complain for something that would be the fact that there's no hardcover version of Sins of the Angels... I would love to have one!

As for the author I have to mark that Linda's writing was superb, she described the scenes so well that the hard parts didn't make me cringe too much (only the necessary) but I was able to imagine them so vividly that I felt like I was with Alexandra and Trent in the crime scenes.

So yes, Sin of the Angels is a must buy if you are a fan of urban-fantasy and kick-ass female leads!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a new series, 7 May 2012
I have to admit that I had a bit of trouble with the start of this book. From the blurb I had a certain idea of how I thought this book would read but it didn't play out like that for me. I was hoping/expecting a typical UF book with a first person POV, lots of swearing, fighting and a bit of romance but what I got what multiple POV's with a bit of swearing, some fighting and more romance that I thought I would get. The PNR style of writing did put me off I have to say and at one point I thought about putting the book down, but the reviews were really good and my friends liked it so I stuck with it and I am so glad that I did. Then I got to the second half of the book and I loved it. Either the PNR style of writing didn't bother me anymore or the writing style changed, whatever it was I did not have a problem.

There is a lot to learn in this book regarding the hierarchy of the Angels and you don't find out about it until late in the book so you need to concentrate. I wish that I had known more about the Angels as I read but you do find out at the end.....and all I can say is WOW! Ms Poitevin has set up an imaginative world that can and hopefully will be expanded on in future books. We are treated to some fantastic characters especially the Angels who all seem to have secrets and differing agendas.

I was going to give this book 3 stars but the ending is a cliffhanger and it is awesome (I do love a good cliffhanger) so I have pushed my rating to 4 stars. As soon as I finished reading Sins Of The Angels I ordered the next book Sins Of The Son straight away, so please hurry up Mr Postman and deliver my book as I am itching to read it. If you like PNR/UF then this is the book for you. I found it to be a great read, one which I really enjoyed and in the end I couldn't put down.

Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy)
Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy) by Linda Poitevin (Mass Market Paperback - 27 Sep 2011)