5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alpha female with an attitude
I am sure it is the combination of the male/female duo writing couple that make this series of books so good. The fifth book in the Kate Daniels series is once again funny, exciting and a page turner. Kate and Curran succeed in making the pages bristle with electricity. I love the devil may care attitude the main character has, the "yeh I have a big mouth, so what are you...
Published on 31 July 2011 by Cheryl M-M

3.0 out of 5 stars Independent merc turns into damsel in distress... (warning *possible spoiler alert*)
....and depends on her knight in shining armour (the beast lord) to rescue her from trouble over and over again.

I loved books 1-4 but this one is a lit bit disappointing. Kate seems to have turned from someone who is independent and knows her own mind to someone who depends heavily on Curran and his shapeshifters to make her decisions for her. I still love...
Published 19 months ago by Flowerscat

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2013
SER (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) (Kate Daniels Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I was worried that the story wouldn't develop as well now that Kate and Curran were together and their highly enjoyable confrontations were going to be a thing of the past. I was so wrong!!

The story feels just as real and exciting as always - and Kate is still amazingly independent even as she adjusts to her relationship (or maybe I mean partnership) with Curran.

Truly brilliant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for fifth novel and they maintain their excellence, 26 Dec. 2014
I'm so impressed with this series. I have read all 5 books in a row and am not bored yet. That is saying something. Each book has its own exciting and page turning storyline. Weaving in all the original characters and adding more too. Such a strong lead character, I could never get bored of Kate. But also all the supporting characters are intriguing and believable. These authors rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, 13 Aug. 2013
The 5th book of the series does not disappoint. The duet keep you entertained all the way through leaving you as ever dying for the next book release. The romance between Kate and Curran stays as exciting as ever while the detailed back story and engaging crew ensures there's never a dull moment. My only concern is how long until the next book....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Kate adventure, 1 Oct. 2012
I still find it strange that while Magic Bites did nothing for me I am now captivated and enthralled by Kate Daniels, her friends and her world, this book did not disappoint.
The story was fast paced and had the Anita Blake edge of Crime Scene Investigation, which was always my favourite thing about the Anita books so its good to find an author who does that but refrains from including. Anita's 'unsavoury' private life...
Yu know when you're watching a film trailer and that deep voice announces, 'Everything you know is about to change', that pretty much sums up what we and Kate learn about her past in this book. Ilona Andrews expands, changes and reveals Kate's history, and I loved it!
I was glad that Kate and Curran continued to be interesting, instead if simply entering the honeymoon stage, in which everything is perfect and smells delicious(Don't ask, but I swaer it happens...) I liked that there is more of Andrea and Derek, who I think are great characters; in fact I loved the whole cast and the fact that they played more of a key role than in previous books. And this book did successfully created my absolute favourite type of scene; the lets-shove-everyone-we've-ever-met-into-a-room-and-watch-it-explode, type of scene, and it was so good!
But, here is the key thing, Ilona Andrews has managed to retain their humour. There is nothing worse than when a brilliant witty series, with a brilliant witty heroine, decides that actually, there is no place for humour in her life. You need not worry that about Kate and Co, Magic Slays still had had me giggling pretty much constantly and what's more, at one point I even felt really and truly sad.
I shall now be ordering Gunmetal Magic and praying that the days until the next Kate Daniels book is released go by quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, thank you very much Team Andrews for another consistent installment, 6 Jun. 2011
S-O-L-I-D. Since the very 1st book. Could this possibly be the best series b'c it has an unerring groundedness to it? The story, the characters, the tone, the action, the dialog's...all very sure-footed in how the author's keep it real. Finger's crossed they keep taking whatever writing juice they seem to be taking b'c the mojo it creates, works. I love the consistency. Even as the characters change & grow there is a consistency & authenticity.

I don't know how they do it when it seems to be a feat many authors lose the battle with..maybe b'c they stay away from their own reviews? Maybe they stay away from their own boards & therefore, they don't get caught up in their growing popularity so it allows them their creative freedom? Maybe it's b'c they have one another to lean on & b'c of the nature of the relationship, ego's & insecurities are kept in check so the feedback & criticism they give one another is truly listened too & ultimately heeded making them a true lean, mean writing machine? Whatever it is, I hope it endures.

I'm not going to talk too much about plot since, if reading this, it's redundant, but I'll discuss what I love overall at this point & why I think this series is tops & worth the time.

*** SEMI-SPOILERS ***

So 1st off, so flipping relieved they didn't have Andrea turn into a backstabbing best friend (or so it seems, there's actually still room for that but I really hope it doesn't go there). After the last book, I felt they were setting her up to double cross Kate b'c of all of her own personal issues. Thank you, thank you team Andrews for not sabotaging yet another female friendship which seems to be the norm.

In fact, not only did they not sabotage but I almost felt that every scene Andrea was in, she stole. She had the two lines in the book which made me laugh the hardest. I loved her deadpan delivery when she told Kate she thought Grendel might be 'retarded' & when she explained the showdown with Aunt B; "So I slapped her" & "She's F-ing strong" & "This is the hand that slapped Aunt B." I can completely see how & why she & Kate are besties.

I'm kinda in awe over how the authors are able to write action sequences. Since they never waste words, they're often fairly short but even so, they are pretty epic battle scenes. Very cool.

Here's what I love most, more than any other series (I've thought about it & can categorically say this) - I am truly interested in pretty much all the other characters separately. Except Ted & maybe Mahon.

- I was dying to see Andrea & Raphael confront one another (where the hell was he????)

- I was wishing we got to see the sit down between Andrea & Aunt B

- Can't wait to see Roman pursue Andrea & the dynamic with R

- Julie & Derrick are meant to be. I cannot wait for that to start to unfold & Julie to start really coming into her own esp. now that she truly has Kate's blood! Some great stuff to explore here.

- Loved Ascanio & can't wait to see more from his character.

- I was shocked when Daniel died & really interested to see how Jennifer handles being a mother when she has faced so much intimate loss. Actually, hope that Kate makes another new friend. There's an interesting dynamic there.

-Would love to see more side snippets of Barbaras & Jezebel.

The list goes on. Here's the thing though - usually, I'm interested in the other characters but only to see them with the MC. Not so much in their stories individually. There are a few but generally - authors create secondary characters to be such an extension of the MC, I'm not too bothered in the spin off. Bare with me while I explain.

- It hasn't worked for me & Frost's spin-offs. I wasn't interested in Denise, Mancheres & Spade only marginally & in the end their execution failed for me so I only trust in reading Cat & Bones.

- Although I'll read KMM's spin-off, in truth, what will truly lure me to pick them up is more Mac & Barrons. I'm not that interested in Dani, esp. after the last book.

- LKH has connected everyone to Anita sexually & metaphysically so much so that I feel they're pretty much lobotomized drones, so what's so interesting about them anymore, esp w/out Anita playing puppet master?

- Ward has a pretty successful formula in how she ties the individual's together, however her writing is inconsistent for me & I could do w/out 1/2 the stories I've read b'c I wasn't all the interested in the characters.

- CH has botched her own MC's short stories so badly in having them be so contradictory & unreliable...they matter so much, then saying they don't & then providing one that is sooo out of character & timeline (2 Blondes) that It's pretty much killed my interest in the other characters. Why should I care about the others if my fave one is being tossed around cavalierly? So I'll just stick to the main SVM universe. Not only that, but in the main story there are many characters haven't been interested in, that even when they matter I've skimmed or skipped.

- I really like almost every secondary in Mead's Georgina series but would I read any spin-offs? Probably not after recently realizing Mead is very formulaic & tends to dumb down her MC's. Previously potentially likable characters facing complex, emotional situations who end up making truly inexplicably dumb choices without regard for any repercussions...why the hell would I endure more books like that? I'll finish out GK but depending on the outcome, we'll see if it would be enough to entice me to try another Mead book.

So see......I've thought about the series in context & this is why I have ended up loving the Kate Daniels series most. I don't know how they do it, but they've made all the secondary characters (thus far) so independently interesting in their own right, not only would I read any shorts or books w/out Kate or Curran present, but they've made it so I am wholly interested at all times when reading this series. I don't skip or skim when another character appears on page. I'm 100% intrigued & invested. There's a sense of confidence I feel when reading. I know there is a real sense of purpose when someone is introduced or appears & there is no waffling or meandering as the story is being relayed.

I feel what's here, in this series that makes it such a standout more than any other I've read thus far, is the fact that there's a real balance which leads to a very cohesive feel.

Add to which it has a thinking person's MC. Although confident there's no arrogance so a nice lack of ego there. She takes her responsibilities seriously. She is loyal. Funny. Strong. She has humility. She tries...every single time, she tries. She also owns her vulnerabilities & insecurities & confronts them head on thereby allowing herself to LIVE in spite of what's probably coming down the pike. I think the closest she's come to angst is asking herself "why me?" and drum roll.....they've yet to have her make truly inexplicably stupid choices just to move the story along or prolong the story to drag it out. I guess she really is the definition of a soldier in many, many ways.

Lastly, they're genuinely enjoyable b'c they read at a great lick & winds up being FUN, fun, fun.

So uh, yeah, you could say I love this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Urban Fantasy series you can read.....IMHO :), 4 Jun. 2011
K Miles "Red Robin" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished Magic Slays after indulging myself by taking the whole day off to simply read. So was it worth it? Was it ever. The book is yet another fantastic read in what is without doubt my favourite Urban Fantasy series. Ilona Andrews writing is absolutely the best I have come across in this genre. In Kate she has brought to life a heroine who has such warmth, passion, bravery, humour and depth to her character that reading her story makes you want clap your hands and cheer at her triumphs and weep for her heartbreaks. She is kick-ass and tough, witty and blunt yet undeniably caring and tender to those she cares for. As for Curran. What. A. Man. Well, Werelion, whatever, he is the ultimate Alpha male. I care not where any poll places him, to me he will always be No.1. The host of amazing support characters the series has are fantastic too. Derek, Andrea, Julie, Doolittle, Raphael, Jim - I could go on and on. All are painted so beautifully by the authors that they feel like old friends. This is brilliant series and I would urge anyone who isn't immersed into the Kate Daniels world to do themselves a favour and jump in as soon as possible - it's a wonderful ride!

**** MILD SPOILERS AHEAD ****

As for Magic Slays itself, I adored it. Without giving away too many spoilers I will just say I loved some of the new characters we were introduced to and look forward to seeing how they develop in the next book (Roman vs Raphael anyone? Can't wait!) The conversations between Kate & Andrea made me laugh out loud at times, they are brilliant best friends, and of course the relationship between Kate & Curran just makes your heart burst. Beautifully written, every declaration, every doubt, every jibe, even every punch!
Magic Slays is totally a 5 star book and I cannot stand to think of how long we have to wait for the next installment. I just know it will be another cracker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 2 Jun. 2011
The Kate Daniels series is probably my favourite series but I have to say I was slightly worried about this book. In the last book a lot was resolved as far as Kate and Curran's relationship, however this is supposed to be a seven book series and we were only on book 4. Now I know there's plenty going on in this series a part from the romance, all of which keeps me hooked but I tend to find if the romance parts go off the rails too much it kind of spoils the rest of the book for me, so it worried me that either I'd get bored of Kate and Curran now that their actually together or perhaps something would happen to ruin the relationship. But as Ilona Andrews said on her website, they always bring their characters "safely to port". Not to say there isn't plenty of action and some ups and downs but at the end of every Kate Daniels (and Edge) book I'm happy and eager for the next book without panicking about what's happening to the characters, which is perhaps what makes this such a favourite series. My first response when I finished this was: "Oh My God that was AMAZING!" and a couple of days later I still feel that way. My favourite is still Magic Bleeds, but there are scenes from Magic Slays which are definite favourites of the series so far. Kate Daniels fans will not be disappointed with this book and for anyone yet to read the series, it's definitely a must read but I'd start with Magic Bites to truly be able to appreciate this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was my favourite out of the whole series so far..., 26 Nov. 2012
I enjoyed the other four books - some better than others but this one was my fave...despite the 'action' not being as good as the other books but as a romantic, I was more into reading about how Kate and Connor's relationship developed and was less interested in Kate and the Beast Lord saving the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 7 Dec. 2013
A brilliant addition to the series Kate is her usual self as for curran well enough said lol. Great interaction between all the characters as a compelling story line can't wait to read more of the series

5.0 out of 5 stars These books are outsanding, 21 Oct. 2013
The kate daniels series are beyond good! i love kate and curran. anytime one of Ilona Andrews books comes out its an automatic buy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) (Kate Daniels Novels)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) (Kate Daniels Novels) by Ilona Andrews (Mass Market Paperback - 31 May 2011)