4.0 out of 5 stars Sins and Shadows
Published on 16 Dec 2010 by Persephone

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think I can finish it...
Published on 12 May 2010 by J. Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars Sins and Shadows, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sins & Shadows: A Shadows Inquiries Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Sylvie Lightner is no ordinary P.I. She specialises in cases involving the unusual, in a world where magic is real-and where death isn't the worst thing that can happen to you. But when an employee is murdered in front of her, Sylvie has had enough. After years of confounding the dark forces of the Magicus Mundi, she's closing up shop-until a man claiming to be the God of Justice wants Sylvie to find his lost lover. And he won't take no for an answer

I ummed and ahhed for a long time over buying this book. I've been burned far too many times by Paranormal Romances masquerading as Urban Fantasties -- usually claiming to be 'gritty' and 'dark' as well. Thankfully, this one is both of those things. There's very little romance and what there is is very incidental to the broader strokes of the story. It's written in third person (which was a relief to read), with tangible description. The central conflict of this story is very much within Sylvie herself. And this truly makes for the most interesting parts of the novel: those times when her inner voice is telling her one thing but her heart is telling her another. Sylvie isn't the most likeable of UF heroines. She's headstrong, rude and selfish. She is nothing if not well written, and most importantly, written with room to grow.

The worldbuilding is very good; with a slightly different take on the usual tropes. The novel is atmospheric and gritty. I enjoyed the contrast between the sun-filled Miami of Sylvies native city, to the noir supernatural underworld. The other characters in the book include, a witch, her friend Alex, and a rather scary Sphinx. The minor side characters were great fun and the writer certainly has a talent for writing likeable characters (even if she does kill them off two pages later, heh).

I've read the sequal to 'Sins and Shadows' as well, which, in my opinion was even better. I would recommened this book to those who prefer their UF dark and don't mind a difficult central character.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think I can finish it..., 12 May 2010
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been wading through this book - think treacle - and thought I would encourage myself into finishing it by reading some Amazon reviews. Unfortunately the only one there is no incentive and I don't think I have enough life to give to it. The real problem is that Sylvie is just not attractive in any way as the book's heroine and her over-riding fault is to make decisions on behalf of other people in order to 'protect' them. I don't actually care what happens to Sylvie at all although some of the people she meets in the book are of some interest. As they mainly end up dead I just don't think I can be bothered... I've got Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars paranormal PI story - light read despite death and destruction, 19 Aug 2009
Sylvie Lightner has had enough death and destruction and is trying to close her paranormal detective agency 'Shadows Inquiries'. Unfortunately she has a new client who is so powerful (a god) that she is coerced into investigating for him. Unfortunately the people she contacts during the investigation seem to end up mostly dead or damaged. Interesting urban world, interesting characters, death and destruction, some romance but it still didn't rate 4 stars. I suspect the problem for me is that the emotional impact wasn't dark enough for the plot.

Sins & Shadows: A Shadows Inquiries Novel
Sins & Shadows: A Shadows Inquiries Novel by Lyn Benedict (Mass Market Paperback - 28 April 2009)
4.81