5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Space Drama
Published on 10 Mar 2004 by Jain

3.0 out of 5 stars Mary Sue-esque space adventure.
Kris Longknife is a spoiled brat that wants to prove to the Universe, and everyone else besides, that she's just a normal girl like the others, except she has her name to live with, as "one of those Longknife's".

Published on 5 Nov 2006 by Raul Leite

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Space Drama, 10 Mar 2004
Jain (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book follows the story of Kris Longknife, who has recently graduated from the Navy academy. She is from a very rich and famous family (her fathers the president of half the galaxy). Wanting to give something back to society, Kris joins the navy and her first assignment as an ensign, is in a leadership position is to rescue a kidnapped child being held by men who have technology not available to the public. From there on thing's really get complicated, with too many inexplicable attempts made on her life, with war looming with Earth.
It's very interesting to see how she tries to cope with being the youngest child of a family with a giant reputation, trying to make her way through life (with the help of her trusty AI computer), in space as well as land combat situations. This was a good read; no it isn't Shakespeare, but gripping and a stay up till 3 in the morning type of a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mary Sue-esque space adventure., 5 Nov 2006
Raul Leite (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)

Ok, throughout the book we get pestered with this catch phrase, along with Kris' champion-like achievements, and never ending resourcefulness (back when she worked as a campaing manager for her father, grandfather, great-grandfather, the lot). Mary Sue syndrome ensues, since everyone else near her gets -5 in IQ , and she never fails, even managing to produce a few useful gemstones.

And since this is military sci-fi, here comes the Scots with their martial traditions and bagpipes... I don't know what's going on with writers these days, I've seen this in three or four different stories, and every time it sounds the same. It gets annoying after a while for a fan of military sci-fi. I wouldn't hold it against the writer if this was my first read of this sub-genre, but nowadays it has become boring reading time after time the prowess, bravery, and traditions of the Scottish Highlanders. Bleh.

There are a few positive things about the story, like the interplay between generations due to age-treatments, interesting off-shoots of the technology, and an over-arching plot that can keep things interesting over the coming books.

Anyway, if you ignore the Mary-Sue-ism of the main character it can be a fast and interesting read, if you can't ignore it, just give it a go and forget about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where The Longknife high adventures begin- you will not be disapppointed, 6 Dec 2009
Ghostgrey51 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is where it all started! The entertaining and intelligent written SF-Military series involving the indefatigable (for a moment I was stuck for a suitable word Mr Shepherd had not used as a title) Kris Longknife. With the burdens of powerful and distrusted forebears and demons from a tragedy as a child Kris ignores her parents wishes and strikes out on her own to make a career in the interstellar navy of her home confederation, but cannot shake loose from the family influence or the distrust the name Longknife instils, not that this slows her down much. This character is independent, intelligent, quick witted, opinionated, headstrong (and it has to be said) exceptionally rich (which does come in handy from time to time). The first book revolves around Kris getting in the way of an ill-conceived plot to start a war with Earth, it also allows Mike Shepherd to begin to assemble the cast of characters which will accompany her through the series. Although she has a lot going for her, problems and challenges pile up for Kris and Mike Shepherd does not allow her to overcome these with a 'smile and a witty sign off' - she has prices to pay (not just momentary either). Having said that, this is a remarkably light and enjoyable read, not as heavy on science detail or the grim loneliness of command as with some in this style. I make no apologies for being a great fan of the series or writing this in hindsight having read all seven of the books; from this vantage point I can assert these are thoroughly good books, I'm re-reading the series again-what more can I say? (As for the 'Scottish' question - not really an issue -don't forget these events happen in the future- perspectives and legends get altered by the passage of time - in a later book World War II is referred to as a 'civil war'-when you think about it a stellar travelling folk who have fought aliens would see it that way-sobering thought really)

3.0 out of 5 stars strong heroine, 17 May 2006
trouvay (Lincoln, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
An enjoyable story, with a heroine who, unlike Honor Harrington, isn't perfection all the time and learns better ways she could do things.

The author may want to steer clear of the Scots though. He has a Highland regiment, complete with kilts, bagpipes etc, but constantly refers to their traditions as English!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but, 16 Sep 2008
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I find myself in agreement with a previous reviewer to some extent. I know mw Scotish friends would be less than happy with all information, traditions and 'style' then being attributed as England; its perhaps a minor point, but its certainly an inacurate fact. Nor did I find the appearance of them well done; there hadn't been anything in the story before this to suggest any particular old earth tradition had really survived (except perhaps on old earth but we remain largely ignorant of it) - then this scotish regiment appeared not even connected to old earth. Oh and whilst I remember, london fog, and over cooked vegetables have pretty much disappeared; the fogs have been gone many decades, and only poor restaurants still serve the dodgy veg - my advice is if it smells bad when u walk in - walk right back out.

I started reading the book and for some time found myself with mixed feelings about the story (good but). However it was drawn together at the end very decently on the whole, and I am likely to try the sequal. Not as good as David Weber's Honor Harrington series, but better than the first Elizabeth Moon Vetta's War. Although its early days yet for me with this series, I certainly prefered the characters in Vetta's War to to this series, but after only one book that is allowing them less time to develope than the full series I have read of the Vetta's War.

I found the coralations between this book and Honor Harrington's universe slightly annoying; surprisingly I found the differences more so, as though it was different for the sake of it.

Nevertheless, an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Flawed, but fun, ripping yarn., 7 July 2014
The measure of how good this book is can be summed up by the fact I immediately got the next in the series as soon as I finished it! The work is, however, definitely not in the same league as, for instance, the Honor Harrington or Black Jack Geary series.

I am sensible of the fact the author is American but the standard of English and grammar is poor even when you get beyond the differences of English and American English: there are even spelling mistakes for American English(according to my Webster). Nevertheless, the story zips along and, believable or not, is a fun ripping yarn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging follow-on from the first story, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed the first story, and this was a good follow-on. I did wonder if I'd missed something towards the end, but otherwise it was quite good enough to make me buy the next one in due course.

5.0 out of 5 stars just about to start, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
i have not started to read this book yet as i am waiting to get the whole set of books

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 15 Oct 2013
Heather Barker (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I've given up halfway through this book, as I'm so bored of nothing happening. It's just generally dull. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Tanya Huff's Valour series, which I would highly recommend. I was hoping for another kick-ass military heroine, but it turned out to be quite a disappointment. All the other reviews seemed so positive, I felt I needed to add my more negative thoughts!

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a great adventure with Kris Longknife & co., 2 April 2013
Zol. (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I loved this book and it got me interested in reading a whole lot more of the series. Now, I'm reading The series again on my Kindle & enjoying those adventures all over again :-)

Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels)
Mutineer (Kris Longknife Novels) by Mike Shepherd (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan 2004)
4.74