5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Anita Blake series, you might like this....
Published on 15 April 2002 by Amazon Customer

Published on 29 Dec 2007 by C. Frost

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Anita Blake series, you might like this...., 15 April 2002
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the second book in the Southern Vampire novel series and is a blend of the cosy mystery with a dark twist of vampirism and a little romance. In Sookie Stackhouse's world, vampires have 'come out of their coffins' a la the style of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. The vampires have a legal status in America (pay taxes)and many of them are trying to go 'main stream' i.e. live with humans and try not to kill them. Anyway, Sookie, a small town waitress with a gift of reading people's minds is having a streak of bad luck. First one of her co-workers is murdered and she is the unfortunate person to find him. Then she encounters a mythical creature in the woods who poisons her and the local vampires save her, leaving her in their debt. So when they ask her to go down to Dallas and use her telepathic powers to help locate a missing vampire, she agrees, but this is only the beginning of her troubles. Sookie is a likeable character and human character, despite her gift. And she narrates this story in a chatty, witty style. She is no superhero, her only gift or 'disability' as she calls it is her powers of mind reading, but that has schooled her abilties to keep a straight face when she inadvertantly 'hears' something she really didn't want to know, but her gift has some uses. The book is fast paced and engaging. It is quite sensual in parts (but nothing as extreme as Anita Blake's more recent exploits), and, oh yes, of course there are a few gory scenes. This is an excellent sequel to Dead Until Dark, which should be read first so you get an idea of how Sookie gets involved with the vampires in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!, 24 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This is a FANTASTIC book by Charlaine Harris - it's the 2nd book in a series - the first being 'Dead until Dark', the 3rd is 'Dead Club'. I love this Author's style of writing, it's so easy. I loved this book, a definate keeper, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 12 April 2002
By A Customer
Sookie Stackhouse is a southern belle w/ a gift--though she sometimes calls it her curse--for reading people's minds. An ability which causes her no shortage of grief amongst the townspeople of her hometown of Bon Temps, Louisiana. In the previous book, she finally meets the man of her dreams: Bill Compton. Bill is a total blank to her. She cannot read his mind and that makes him instantly attractive and interesting to her. The fact that to her he is dark, mysterious, and handsome couldn't hurt either. Their attraction to each other grows, without some setbacks and roadblocks in the way, as the first book progresses and ends.
LIVIND DEAD IN DALLAS continues their romance and also shows us more of Sookie's growth since her first meeting w/ Bill. This time around her life is thrown a dangerous curve when she must travel to Dallas w/ Bill to help investigate the disappearance of one of that city's vampires. It would seem that the vampire leader of Louisiana has loaned out Sookie's telepathic services as part of the deal she made with this vampire in the previous book. A vampire whose obvious lust for Sookie and the use he can have with her unique power doesn't sit well with her lover, Bill.
So off to Dallas she goes, but not before one of her co-workers and also a friend of hers is killed and made to look like one of the townspeople committed the crime. As usual with her "gift" Sookie knows this to be untrue, but with her mission to Dallas more paramount, she sets this aside until her return.
Sookie's adventures in Dallas shows her more of the society that Bill has lived in most of his life. As much as vampires have been "outed" for over two years, they are still seen with revulsion and hate. LIVING DEAD IN DALLAS introduces what could be an interesting group if handled well. The Fellowship of the Sun Center is akin to an ultra-religious right group with a healthy dose of the KKK mixed in. Sookie must not only infiltrate and discover if this group of anit-vampire zealots has kidnapped one of Dallas' vampires, but also she has to deal with the fact that shapeshifters are also pretty much in evidence in Dallas. Unlike Ms. Hamilton's ANITA BLAKE series where shapeshifters are also outed as well as vampires, Ms. Harris' shifters want to remain a secret and will protectively guard that secret. This is a welcome change that separates Sookie's world from that of Anita's.
Sookie grows in this book. She no longer hates and fears her telepathic ability, though there are times in the book that she wishes she didn't use it to read someone's mind. But she has begun to hone and practice her ability with Bill's help and support. Sookie also remains pretty grounded in her personality and mindset, even though events both dark and unusual keep happening to her. Unlike Anita, Sookie doesn't gain a power in this new installment. Other than the enhanced reflexes and strenght she's gained from ingesting the blood of Bill and a couple of other vampires, she's stuck to having just plain old telepathy.
The relationship between Sookie and Bill remains a working project. Even with her liking to Eric, the vampire leader of Louisiana, which confuses her more than anything else, Sookie still stays by Bill's side. Where as Eric wants her not just for her body but also for what her power can give him, Sookie knows that Bill just wants her for being Sookie and nothing more and nothing less. It is a surprise to her at times that the most human relationship she's had with one of the opposite sex and he turns out to be far from human.
LIVING DEAD IN DALLAS is a successful and enjoyable follow-up to DEAD UNTIL DARK. It's tone is much darker and we see Sookie plunged into one dangerous scrape after another in this installment. We also learn, through Sookie's eyes, that dark going-ons and unusual habits are not just the province of the vampires and supernaturals. Sookie learns that the people of her town have their own dark secrets, but despite this Sookie emerges untouched by this darkness and more wise because of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first, but hang on in there because this series is amazing!, 29 Dec 2007
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As often happens in a series like this (I feel the same thing about Harry Potter for example) as the first book really sets the story and is fatastically exciting, the second book has a lot to live up to and can sometimes fail to meet quite the same standards. In its own right this book is still really fun and lively, but I felt the whole taking-Sookie-to-Dallas thing didn't really work for me. I like her on her own territory best, with Bon Temps' characters feeling more realistic than the ones she deals with here. Having said all that, the series as a whole is probably my favourite in the vampire genre (if we ignore Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, because they're an entity in themselves) and you will miss out if you don't read this installment. 5 stars for the series as a whole.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sookie Stackhouse book 2, 28 Feb 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If you read my review of Dead Until Dark then you'll know I was disappointed by the start to this series. Being a big fan of the True Blood TV show meant I had high expectations when I picked up the book and I thought that might have been why I felt so let down when I read it. The only reason I decided to continue with the series is that I already had the first 8 books on my shelves and a lot of people have told me that the series gets a lot better from book 3 onwards. Considering my low opinion of the first book I wasn't expecting much from Living Dead in Dallas but I still found myself struggling to finish the book. This is such a popular series and I know I'm in the minority but I think I'm going to have to face the fact that Sookie and I aren't meant to get along.

The story has two distinct plot threads going on but I didn't feel like there was any cohesion between them. The first involves the death of one of Sookie's co-workers and an attack on Sookie herself by a strange paranormal creature and I felt that this part of the story could have been really interesting. However, it felt like the author finished writing it and realised there wasn't enough material for a full length novel so she wrote a completely separate story and just plonked it in the middle of the book. The second plot thread involves Sookie heading to Dallas on a task for Eric who has hired her out to another vampire who needs her unusual mind reading talents. Again this side of the story could have been interesting, it introduces the vampire hate group The Fellowship of the Sun but although there is some action I still felt like something was missing. I can't help feeling that True Blood manages to do a better job with both story lines than the book did. Perhaps that is part of my problem with this series though - I shouldn't have watched True Blood until after reading the books and then I may have enjoyed them more.

When it comes to the characters I still can't stand Bill, I want to see Sookie haul his coffin out into the sunshine, open the lid and leave him there. I don't feel the slightest bit invested in their relationship and don't see any evidence that either of them are in love. I'd much rather see Sookie stand on her own two feet rather than let Bill treat her like a walking buffet. I have to admit that I'm really falling for Eric though, I love his character in the TV series and am enjoying his interaction with Sookie even more in the books. If there is any reason to keep reading the series then Eric would be it.

I'm not sure if I will continue with the series though. I'm torn because I did find the writing better in Living Dead in Dallas, I thought there was a lot less pointless information included which made it much easier to read. Also, I already have the next 6 books so it seems a shame to not at least try reading them, especially when everyone tells me book 3 is where the series really starts to kick off. I think I'll take a break for a bit and then I'll probably give Club Dead a try but I'm not going to keep banging my head against a brick wall and if I don't enjoy it more than the first 2 books then I'll have to give up on the series. I will continue to watch True Blood though so at least that way I'll hopefully get to watch Sookie kick Bill to the kerb and hook up with Eric (well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that to happen anyway!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Living Dead In Dallas, 11 Feb 2011
Living Dead In Dallas in the second book in the Sookie Stackhouse series and after thoroughly enjoying the first I was eager to read this one.

The story starts off with a bang from the very beginning which then leads the way for the rest of the story. This book sees Sookie travel away from her home of Bon Temps and to Dallas where the majority of the story is set. Therefore, the majority of the characters we were introduced to in the first book (Sam, Jason, Arlene etc) barely feature in this book.

I do think that this book is slightly weaker than first - possibly because the story is mainly set away the set-up that was built up in the first book. However, it is still very readable and enjoyable.

Just like the first book in the series this one features murder, mystery and a great deal of suspense. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and hope that as the series goes we get to find out more about the characters that are somewhat swept to the side in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Book from Charlaine Harris, 8 Feb 2011
Charlaine Harris' "Dead" series is one of my favourites. Whilst the editors could have used spell check, the story and series are excellent and have a more adult (and definitely more raunchy) persepctive of the vampire stories that are about these days. An excellent read, could not put it down. A++

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable with just the right amount of humour and tension, 30 Nov 2010
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
`Living Dead in Dallas' is the second of the Sookie Stackhouse novels which has been adapted as the True Blood TV programme.

Sookie Stackhouse is a pretty young waitress and telepath dating Bill the vampire. Unfortunately her telepathic talents have got her noticed by the local vampire community and she is `rented out' to the Dallas vampires to help find a vampire ho has gone missing. Sookie agrees to help on the condition that any human who provides information is allowed to go free and unpunished, although in reality she has little choice about whether she helps or not.

On the way to Dallas Sookie is harmed by a mysterious creature in the Woods and once there she meets further danger in the form of a religious sect who attempt to show vamps the error of their ways. It seems that dating a vampire leads to ore danger than she's used to or bargained for!

Having enjoyed the first book in this series `Dead Until Dark' I read the sequel straight away and wasn't disappointed. Light and easy to read with just the right amount of tension balanced with humour. Again, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars vampire1, 10 Mar 2010
lu (cornwall) - See all my reviews
If you like the TV series you'll love this book! I wish i'd bought the box set now!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Southern Vampire Mystery book so far ..., 25 Jan 2010
Mrs. H. Milburn (England.) - See all my reviews
This is the second book in the serise of Southern Vampire Mysteries. It follows the life of a telepathic waitress called Sookie Stackhouse, who lives in the small town of Bon Temps in Louisianna.

I read this book in just over a day. Not because I had time to kill but because much to the dismay of my husband, I just could not seem to put it down.
The story this time follows Stookie to Dallas (as suggested in the title). It is quite graphic at points, whilst detaling the fight and sex scenes.

I certainly enjoyed my time emersed in this book and I would highly recomend it, even if you have not read the first Sookie Stackhouse story.

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels)
Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - April 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01