5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Anita Blake series, you might like this....
Published on 15 April 2002 by pufferfish

2.0 out of 5 stars I just wanted so much more from this one.
Published 7 months ago by Stacie @ Beautiful Bookish But...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Anita Blake series, you might like this...., 15 April 2002
pufferfish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the second book in the Southern Vampire novel series and is a blend of the cosy mystery with a dark twist of vampirism and a little romance. In Sookie Stackhouse's world, vampires have 'come out of their coffins' a la the style of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. The vampires have a legal status in America (pay taxes)and many of them are trying to go 'main stream' i.e. live with humans and try not to kill them. Anyway, Sookie, a small town waitress with a gift of reading people's minds is having a streak of bad luck. First one of her co-workers is murdered and she is the unfortunate person to find him. Then she encounters a mythical creature in the woods who poisons her and the local vampires save her, leaving her in their debt. So when they ask her to go down to Dallas and use her telepathic powers to help locate a missing vampire, she agrees, but this is only the beginning of her troubles. Sookie is a likeable character and human character, despite her gift. And she narrates this story in a chatty, witty style. She is no superhero, her only gift or 'disability' as she calls it is her powers of mind reading, but that has schooled her abilties to keep a straight face when she inadvertantly 'hears' something she really didn't want to know, but her gift has some uses. The book is fast paced and engaging. It is quite sensual in parts (but nothing as extreme as Anita Blake's more recent exploits), and, oh yes, of course there are a few gory scenes. This is an excellent sequel to Dead Until Dark, which should be read first so you get an idea of how Sookie gets involved with the vampires in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!, 24 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This is a FANTASTIC book by Charlaine Harris - it's the 2nd book in a series - the first being 'Dead until Dark', the 3rd is 'Dead Club'. I love this Author's style of writing, it's so easy. I loved this book, a definate keeper, you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars I just wanted so much more from this one., 13 Nov. 2014
Sadly yet again I'm still waiting to be wowed. I think my biggest problem with the books so far is Charlaine Harris is trying to fit so much in such a small book. And due to that I feel like there are things just being brushed over when I (not sure if everyone else) would have loved to read more about it. In the book there's a group of people called The Fellowship of the Sun. They are stated to being like what the KKK are to African Americans but obviously to vampires, but there was hardly any back story to them and considering they were such a big part of the book (and still to be in the series according to Bill) I was left wishing for more.

A new character was introduced called Callisto, who was a maenad. Sookie uncounted her in the woods while fighting with bill and was told to give a message to Eric ( which was Sookie being on the brink of death). Yet again not enough information was given about what a Maenad was or where this lady had come from and if it wasn't for my trusty friend google I would have been left confused. But by the end of the book she had already moved on.

I'm getting the hump with the fact that when Eric says jump Sookie has to say how high. I know she made a promise to him but its made out that its also because of scared everyone is of him and instead of angering him they do what he says. I know Eric is supposed to be portrayed as a powerful vampire who would do unthinkable things to you if you crossed him but in no where in the first 2 books has it explained it let alone given you any insight to the things he has done in the past. All you keep hearing is his older and a Viking. Your left thinking and hoping that maybe they will explain more as the books go on, but that's how I feel about everything.

As far characters go I don't like Bill or Sookie. But then I never liked them in the show so that doesn't surprise me. I cant wait to see more of Pam and Sam (hopefully), I love Eric. Even though he's not the same temperamental hot headed vampire he is in the show I still have a soft spot for him. I've never been a fan of Jason in the show but I still wish to see more of him. All in all I think the book was ok. It wasn't amazing, didn't leave much to the imagination and lacked suspense like the first one. I was left feeling confused with so much happening at once.

(I know I would like the books so far a bit better if I hadn't watched True Blood first, but think most of what annoys me about the books would still stick.)

SPOILERS
I think my biggest problem so far is having been a fan of the show for years I've grown very found of the characters. Like Lafayette, he is without a doubt one of my favourite characters in the show, he has so much personality and in my opinion is a big part of the show its self. Yet he dies without the first chapter in the book, and its so upsetting to think that he wont be in it. I mean don't get me wrong, if he did in the book it should have happened in the show (even though I'm glad it didn't) but I still cant help but feel upset about it. Another thing In the show he's the cousin of Tara, but I cant see that in the book, maybe it wasn't made a big deal of like other things that I've missed it. Even though I don't like Tara she's Sookies best friend in the show too but not in the book and thats strange.

Another thing that upset me was Godrics death. I don't think enough was said about that considering he's very old and powerful. Sookie turned up, talked to him for a few seconds and that was that. I feel like there should have been at least a few pages on it. (also, as much as I hate to admit it, I was waiting for the scene where Eric is with him at the end. Godric was Eric's maker in the show, but yet again if it was talked about in the book its something I've missed)

I've just got to try and not compare it to the show while reading it. Because judging how its been one book to one season, I won't be surprised until book 5 as hopefully I wont know whats happening and can just judge the book for what is is. If I read it before 10th June that is haha

2.0 out of 5 stars Sookie Stackhouse book 2, 28 Feb. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you read my review of Dead Until Dark then you'll know I was disappointed by the start to this series. Being a big fan of the True Blood TV show meant I had high expectations when I picked up the book and I thought that might have been why I felt so let down when I read it. The only reason I decided to continue with the series is that I already had the first 8 books on my shelves and a lot of people have told me that the series gets a lot better from book 3 onwards. Considering my low opinion of the first book I wasn't expecting much from Living Dead in Dallas but I still found myself struggling to finish the book. This is such a popular series and I know I'm in the minority but I think I'm going to have to face the fact that Sookie and I aren't meant to get along.

The story has two distinct plot threads going on but I didn't feel like there was any cohesion between them. The first involves the death of one of Sookie's co-workers and an attack on Sookie herself by a strange paranormal creature and I felt that this part of the story could have been really interesting. However, it felt like the author finished writing it and realised there wasn't enough material for a full length novel so she wrote a completely separate story and just plonked it in the middle of the book. The second plot thread involves Sookie heading to Dallas on a task for Eric who has hired her out to another vampire who needs her unusual mind reading talents. Again this side of the story could have been interesting, it introduces the vampire hate group The Fellowship of the Sun but although there is some action I still felt like something was missing. I can't help feeling that True Blood manages to do a better job with both story lines than the book did. Perhaps that is part of my problem with this series though - I shouldn't have watched True Blood until after reading the books and then I may have enjoyed them more.

When it comes to the characters I still can't stand Bill, I want to see Sookie haul his coffin out into the sunshine, open the lid and leave him there. I don't feel the slightest bit invested in their relationship and don't see any evidence that either of them are in love. I'd much rather see Sookie stand on her own two feet rather than let Bill treat her like a walking buffet. I have to admit that I'm really falling for Eric though, I love his character in the TV series and am enjoying his interaction with Sookie even more in the books. If there is any reason to keep reading the series then Eric would be it.

I'm not sure if I will continue with the series though. I'm torn because I did find the writing better in Living Dead in Dallas, I thought there was a lot less pointless information included which made it much easier to read. Also, I already have the next 6 books so it seems a shame to not at least try reading them, especially when everyone tells me book 3 is where the series really starts to kick off. I think I'll take a break for a bit and then I'll probably give Club Dead a try but I'm not going to keep banging my head against a brick wall and if I don't enjoy it more than the first 2 books then I'll have to give up on the series. I will continue to watch True Blood though so at least that way I'll hopefully get to watch Sookie kick Bill to the kerb and hook up with Eric (well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that to happen anyway!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 12 April 2002
By A Customer
Sookie Stackhouse is a southern belle w/ a gift--though she sometimes calls it her curse--for reading people's minds. An ability which causes her no shortage of grief amongst the townspeople of her hometown of Bon Temps, Louisiana. In the previous book, she finally meets the man of her dreams: Bill Compton. Bill is a total blank to her. She cannot read his mind and that makes him instantly attractive and interesting to her. The fact that to her he is dark, mysterious, and handsome couldn't hurt either. Their attraction to each other grows, without some setbacks and roadblocks in the way, as the first book progresses and ends.
LIVIND DEAD IN DALLAS continues their romance and also shows us more of Sookie's growth since her first meeting w/ Bill. This time around her life is thrown a dangerous curve when she must travel to Dallas w/ Bill to help investigate the disappearance of one of that city's vampires. It would seem that the vampire leader of Louisiana has loaned out Sookie's telepathic services as part of the deal she made with this vampire in the previous book. A vampire whose obvious lust for Sookie and the use he can have with her unique power doesn't sit well with her lover, Bill.
So off to Dallas she goes, but not before one of her co-workers and also a friend of hers is killed and made to look like one of the townspeople committed the crime. As usual with her "gift" Sookie knows this to be untrue, but with her mission to Dallas more paramount, she sets this aside until her return.
Sookie's adventures in Dallas shows her more of the society that Bill has lived in most of his life. As much as vampires have been "outed" for over two years, they are still seen with revulsion and hate. LIVING DEAD IN DALLAS introduces what could be an interesting group if handled well. The Fellowship of the Sun Center is akin to an ultra-religious right group with a healthy dose of the KKK mixed in. Sookie must not only infiltrate and discover if this group of anit-vampire zealots has kidnapped one of Dallas' vampires, but also she has to deal with the fact that shapeshifters are also pretty much in evidence in Dallas. Unlike Ms. Hamilton's ANITA BLAKE series where shapeshifters are also outed as well as vampires, Ms. Harris' shifters want to remain a secret and will protectively guard that secret. This is a welcome change that separates Sookie's world from that of Anita's.
Sookie grows in this book. She no longer hates and fears her telepathic ability, though there are times in the book that she wishes she didn't use it to read someone's mind. But she has begun to hone and practice her ability with Bill's help and support. Sookie also remains pretty grounded in her personality and mindset, even though events both dark and unusual keep happening to her. Unlike Anita, Sookie doesn't gain a power in this new installment. Other than the enhanced reflexes and strenght she's gained from ingesting the blood of Bill and a couple of other vampires, she's stuck to having just plain old telepathy.
The relationship between Sookie and Bill remains a working project. Even with her liking to Eric, the vampire leader of Louisiana, which confuses her more than anything else, Sookie still stays by Bill's side. Where as Eric wants her not just for her body but also for what her power can give him, Sookie knows that Bill just wants her for being Sookie and nothing more and nothing less. It is a surprise to her at times that the most human relationship she's had with one of the opposite sex and he turns out to be far from human.
LIVING DEAD IN DALLAS is a successful and enjoyable follow-up to DEAD UNTIL DARK. It's tone is much darker and we see Sookie plunged into one dangerous scrape after another in this installment. We also learn, through Sookie's eyes, that dark going-ons and unusual habits are not just the province of the vampires and supernaturals. Sookie learns that the people of her town have their own dark secrets, but despite this Sookie emerges untouched by this darkness and more wise because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable with just the right amount of humour and tension, 30 Nov. 2010
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
`Living Dead in Dallas' is the second of the Sookie Stackhouse novels which has been adapted as the True Blood TV programme.

Sookie Stackhouse is a pretty young waitress and telepath dating Bill the vampire. Unfortunately her telepathic talents have got her noticed by the local vampire community and she is `rented out' to the Dallas vampires to help find a vampire ho has gone missing. Sookie agrees to help on the condition that any human who provides information is allowed to go free and unpunished, although in reality she has little choice about whether she helps or not.

On the way to Dallas Sookie is harmed by a mysterious creature in the Woods and once there she meets further danger in the form of a religious sect who attempt to show vamps the error of their ways. It seems that dating a vampire leads to ore danger than she's used to or bargained for!

Having enjoyed the first book in this series `Dead Until Dark' I read the sequel straight away and wasn't disappointed. Light and easy to read with just the right amount of tension balanced with humour. Again, recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Living Dead In Dallas, 11 Feb. 2011
Living Dead In Dallas in the second book in the Sookie Stackhouse series and after thoroughly enjoying the first I was eager to read this one.

The story starts off with a bang from the very beginning which then leads the way for the rest of the story. This book sees Sookie travel away from her home of Bon Temps and to Dallas where the majority of the story is set. Therefore, the majority of the characters we were introduced to in the first book (Sam, Jason, Arlene etc) barely feature in this book.

I do think that this book is slightly weaker than first - possibly because the story is mainly set away the set-up that was built up in the first book. However, it is still very readable and enjoyable.

Just like the first book in the series this one features murder, mystery and a great deal of suspense. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and hope that as the series goes we get to find out more about the characters that are somewhat swept to the side in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first, but hang on in there because this series is amazing!, 29 Dec. 2007
C. Frost "Charlie Frost" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As often happens in a series like this (I feel the same thing about Harry Potter for example) as the first book really sets the story and is fatastically exciting, the second book has a lot to live up to and can sometimes fail to meet quite the same standards. In its own right this book is still really fun and lively, but I felt the whole taking-Sookie-to-Dallas thing didn't really work for me. I like her on her own territory best, with Bon Temps' characters feeling more realistic than the ones she deals with here. Having said all that, the series as a whole is probably my favourite in the vampire genre (if we ignore Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, because they're an entity in themselves) and you will miss out if you don't read this installment. 5 stars for the series as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Southern Vampire Mystery book so far ..., 25 Jan. 2010
Mrs. H. Milburn (England.) - See all my reviews
This is the second book in the serise of Southern Vampire Mysteries. It follows the life of a telepathic waitress called Sookie Stackhouse, who lives in the small town of Bon Temps in Louisianna.

I read this book in just over a day. Not because I had time to kill but because much to the dismay of my husband, I just could not seem to put it down.
The story this time follows Stookie to Dallas (as suggested in the title). It is quite graphic at points, whilst detaling the fight and sex scenes.

I certainly enjoyed my time emersed in this book and I would highly recomend it, even if you have not read the first Sookie Stackhouse story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is anyone home?, 25 Feb. 2015
*spoilers*
This is the second book in the Sookie Stack house series. I have to admit that I am not champing at the bit to find out what happens, but I bought the set of 10 books for £19 and I am curious as to what all the fuss is about. We find Sookie trying to navigate her relationship with Bill, although it is becoming clear that he is not the best person for her.

First of all Sookie is attacked by a Maenad as a message to Eric Northman, demanding that she gets a tribute from him. She is then taken to Eric who, along with a doctor and other vampires declares that Sookie needs a blood transfusion and have the poisoned blood removed, so it is a grand old Sookie picnic for the vamps. This is the start of Eric gradually showing Sookie that he is an alternative and not all vampires are like Bill.

Then Lafayette, unlike the TV series, is found dead in Andy Bellefleur’s car (while he is in the bar on a bender). So Sookie, being loyal and always one to defend the underdog, decides that she wants to figure out what happened to him. She soon discovers that this all centres around an orgy that Lafayette went to, and his inability to keep gossip to himself.

This line of investigation is stalled when Sookie is shipped off to Dallas, it seems that her talents (no longer a disability) has made her hot property and she is to see Stan who has a problem with a missing vampire. The trip to Dallas is interesting as we see how vampires travel by air, but we also shown how insulated Sookie’s life has been.

When they get to Dallas, Sookie quickly shows her worth and they are all happy as the proverbial pigs in muck, especially when she goes on an undercover ‘mission’ with another human looking into the Fellowship of a Sun, an ultra-Christian group of anti-vampire nutjobs, who seem to have forgotten about Christian values and are all about killing, raping and beating people up. Good times. Of course Sookie is on the receiving end of this, but is rescued by a shapeshifter (an introduction of a new group of supernaturals) and then Eric takes care of her while Bill is off gallivanting. Again he shows how tender he can be and also reliable too, how about that!

Battered and beaten, Sookie is then subjected to a vampire party, which Bill is loving every second of. He completely ignores Sookie and is chatting up other female vampires, only for the party to be targeted by the Fellowship of the Sun. Sookie realises just in time and warns them, but only the vampires heed her advice. The scene is carnage, but she is kept safe – why? because Eric threw himself on top of her and took a bullet that was destined for her. He then asks her to suck out the bullet ick. Where is Bill? Is he rushing forward to make sure that she is OK? No, he is off on a blood crazed mission to chase after the Fellowship peeps who were responsible for the attack. Sookie is not impressed as he promised that he wouldn’t kill anyone, and goes home alone.

The other half of the book features Sookie, who is still in a strop and not seeing Bill, distracting herself by donning the Miss Marple hat and trying to figure out who killed Lafayette. Turns out that the rottenness inside of Bon Temps goes right to the core with an orgy featuring certain members of the town, probably encouraged by the Maenad. She turns to Eric asking him to escort her and being a good sport, he turns up kitted out in lycra. Of course he wants to be with her, but he isn’t going to force her – I think that he is an actions speak louder than words kind of man, I only wish that Sookie would pay more attention.

The concluding scene of the orgy was fairly grubby and it seems the author did too as she rushed through Sookie finding who the rest of the orgy-ers were, who had killed Lafayette, trying to escape, the Maenad having a hissy fit, Bill turning up like a bad smell and finally the resolution.

Bill and Sookie has a rollercoaster relationship one minute they are screwing like rabbits and the other time they are arguing with Sookie going off in a strop. One thing that I felt a little uncomfortable was the growing way in which Bill is wanting to have sex with Sookie all the time, even when she doesn’t feel like it – there is one sex scene when she asks him to “be sweet” and he says that he can’t. That is a little too close to rape and control games for my liking and she just seems to accept that it is part of the way a vampire treats her. Maybe this is because she is so naive or maybe it is inexperience or not having a decent male role model, but the way in which Bill treats Sookie is becoming less about love and more about control.

This is highlighted even more so when there is Eric in the picture. He helps to heal her when she is poisoned by the Maenad; he takes care of her after her experience with the Fellowship of the Sun; he throws himself on top of her and takes a bullet for her – then stays around to make sure that she is OK. He even humiliates himself in a pink lycra outfit when she needs to have help going to the orgy. Each time he looks after her when she is scared and vulnerable and not once did he try to force himself on her, can’t say the same for Bill who is addicted to her blood – and can only get to it by having sex. I hope that this is a subtle way of the author pointing out that Bill isn’t a nice guy who should be kicked to the curb.

This is also the book where we get to meet more mystical creatures, including the shape shifters, there’s more to this world than she realises and when she has barely seen the normal human world, this could be a culture shock. I suppose that this book is all about setting the scene for future books, which is why I am hoping that Book 3 will be better.

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels)
Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse Novels) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01