5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant episode in the story
Wil is now a fully qualified ranger and is sent off on a special mission.
Once again we have a thrilling adventure full of action and old friends and new characters.
Published on 20 April 2009 by Peter Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Ranger's Apprentice
I found this book wasnt as good as the others, less action but still alright. Definitely not the best book on the planet, and i had to wait a while for the English cover. I suppose its a brilliant book for younger readers 9-13.
Published on 14 Mar 2011 by Emzy Soffe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant episode in the story, 20 April 2009
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Wil is now a fully qualified ranger and is sent off on a special mission.
My only complaint is that one is left almost in mid sword strike and I feel that readers would rather have the whole story in one much longer book. If Harry Potter can run to 600 plus pages for a complete story, why not This series.

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved these books, 30 Sep 2011
Arturian (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North (Paperback)
All the Ranger's Apprentice books are excellent. There are brilliant plot twists, real depth and development to the characters, both male and female characters are strong and well drawn and there is good witty humour between them. They are not really dark and the books have good endings but they are not "twee" for all that. Some books, like this one, are part one of a two part story. This one concludes with book 6 The Siege of Mackindaw but that is brilliant too. Hey I've bought them all ... enough said?

5.0 out of 5 stars It Leaves You On A Cliffhanger!, 29 Aug 2014
The Sorcerer in the North is set five years after the last book Oakleaf Bearers, and Will has finished his apprenticeship and been assigned his own fief. However not long after being assigned, he is sent on a mission up in the north because mysterious happenings have been taking place.

I was a little sad to have missed out on the journey of the rest of Will’s apprenticeship however the five year gap was transitioned well.

Will is still the same old Will. He’s just a little older and a little more mature. He still has a fierce heart and the character that makes him so loveable. I was glad that Halt and Horace were briefly in the book – I would have been quite sad if neither of them had made an appearance! Alyss is obviously more of a main character in this book and I like her a lot. I’m not sure whether I like her close relationship with Will however I think that’s just because I don’t think anyone will ever be good enough for him. Alyss is a really strong female character, which I liked. She’s smart, independent and can very much take care of herself. There are moments when she weakens however it makes her more realistic.

I liked how some of the different storylines in the book intertwined. I also appreciated that there were a few different paths that the author lead you down. When I look back at some of it, I feel like it should have been so obvious however I was so caught up in the story that I didn’t even realise until they were right on top of me.

I really enjoyed this book even though some of my favourite characters only appeared briefly. Also a warning that it leaves you on a cliffhanger!

I would definitely recommend this book for children and even adults if you like fantasy and adventure. However you really need to start at the beginning with the first book, The Ruins of Gorlan.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic read, 26 Oct 2009
This was another thrilling installment in the life of the Ranger's. I love the way this book sparks your imagination. How the author described the scenes made me feel that I was right there with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ YET AGAIN!, 8 Jan 2010
A Kid's Review
I have read this book along time ago and would like to say that it is brilliant! i liked the first part when he travells to manckindaw. great book plz read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
My grandson was delighted with the book

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 25 Feb 2014
JOHN FLANNAGAN HAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH AN AMAZING BOOK IN THE SEREIS AND ENDS WITH AN ENOURMOUS CLIFFHANGOR AND A GREAT STORYLINE WITH TWISTS AND TURNS AT EVERY CORNER

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic books, 17 Jun 2013
We have the whole series of these books, they are written in a way that is enjoyable for both adults and kids

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 17 Mar 2013
I bought this series of books for my then 12 yr old son who loves reading. He says they are really good and would recommend them to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Mar 2013
By God he's done it again!
Brilliant I just don't know how he does it! Can't wait to read the next one!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North
Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North by John Flanagan (Paperback - 6 Aug 2009)